Specialty Restaurant Nights

We're on the Mariner in June and trying to decide what nights to go to the specialty restaurants. We were planning to do both, one as a group and one for just my wife and I. So I need to decide what nights and which restaurant for our anniversary (25th). Does anyone have any recommendations? Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
We're on the Mariner in June and trying to decide what nights to go to the specialty restaurants. We were planning to do both, one as a group and one for just my wife and I. So I need to decide what nights and which restaurant for our anniversary (25th). Does anyone have any recommendations? Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Dean, my husband and I really enjoyed dinner for two at Portofino's. We sailed away from San Juan and had a window seat of El Moro as we sailed away. It was very romantic. I would recommend anytime you are sailing away from a given port (if you can eat that early! We do!) This cruise we are going to try Chops as sail away, then meet up with our family for coffee as they finish dessert (?maybe?). People say Caribbean night is the best night to go. I vote Italian night and upgrade for Portofinos. There are lots of menus to look over so you have a feel for what they are serving. It's a very intimate environment, I'd recommend just the 2 of you. And Happy Anniversary!

Karen

"Gumebrt Family Cruiser"

Appreciate hearing from anyone who has done the 7 or 8 nite to San Juan, P.R., Philipsburg, St Maarten, St Johns, Antigua, Char. Amalie, St Thomas & Nassau, Bahamas etc. cruise return from Ft Lauderdale. Need to know what theme each nite is - for example: Caribbean nite, Italian nite, etc. Am planning on booking alternative restaurants and need to know to decide which nites I want. Also enjoy hearing about your recommendations regarding which nites to consider. Some folks never book 'alternatives' when it is formal nite but .... Thanks so much for a response. Happy cruisin'!

Appreciate hearing from anyone who has done the 7 or 8 nite to San Juan, P.R., Philipsburg, St Maarten, St Johns, Antigua, Char. Amalie, St Thomas & Nassau, Bahamas etc. cruise return from Ft Lauderdale. Need to know what theme each nite is - for example: Caribbean nite, Italian nite, etc. Am planning on booking alternative restaurants and need to know to decide which nites I want. Also enjoy hearing about your recommendations regarding which nites to consider. Some folks never book 'alternatives' when it is formal nite but .... Thanks so much for a response. Happy cruisin'!
I guess that's part of the info I'm trying to find out for the Mariner, what each night is for the Eastern.

Dean, if you're going to Jamaica, that night will more than likely be the Caribbean night. Even our waiter told us the food wasn't very good in the dining room on that particular night, when directly asked. So, that's the night we chose to go to Chops.

We didn't go to Portofino's, but I can't say enough good things about Chops. We had the filet mignon, and it was definitely the best I've ever had. The side dishes (with the except of the football sized baked potatoes) are served family style, so order several for the table if you like. I had the Mississippi Mud Pie for dessert...awesome!

I guess that's part of the info I'm trying to find out for the Mariner, what each night is for the Eastern.

I'm fairly certain the menus are the same for Western/Eastern route. Maybe I'm wrong. Visit http://www.cruiseclues.com and they have the menus listed. I've heard consistently that caribbean night is the night to try alternative dining. We didn't think that menu was bad at all!

Karen

Archived