Verizon Cell Phone Service in Puerto Rico

Sohker

I will be on an Explorer of the Seas Cruise that stops in Puerto Rico. Can someone explain if there are any additional charges compared to using the cell phone in the U.S. The way I understand Verizon's explanation to me is that calls are charged $ .69/min but nothing extra (same charges as in the U.S.) for text message and internet.

I have an I phone 4S and would like to check emails in Puerto Rico. If I connect to the internet using the 3G network not a Wi-Fi are there additional charges? Verizon sent me the following information.

THX

Global RatesCountryStandard Voice Rate

per min$4.99 Global Value Rate

per minRate per Text Msg SentRate per Text Msg ReceivedPicture/Video

To US and select Mex, Can & Puerto Rico carriersPicture/Video

to select carriers with an Inter-Carrier AgreementGlobal Data

$25 for 100 MB

(Overage $25/100 MB)Pay Per Use RatePuerto Rico$0.69N/ADomesticDomesticDomestic$0.50 Send/

$0.25 ReceiveDomesticDomestic

• Please see VZW Roaming for our full suite of Global Services.
  • VerizonWireless.com/TripPlanner allows you to plan out your trip, see if your device will work and view the rates and dialing instructions you need.
  • Global per minute rates apply when checking Voice Mail while traveling
  • Please dial *228, select option 2 before leaving a Verizon Wireless digital service area. (Not applicable for 4G devices or iPhone 4s.) This will ensure you have the most up to date roaming coverage
  • When you send or receive Picture/Video messages while roaming, messages are charged a per message rate plus applicable global data roaming rates.
  • If you do not have a data plan or feature, you will be charged at the Pay Per Use Rate.
  • We recommend using global data with caution as charges can add up quickly. To avoid or minimize data usage charges, you may want to:
    • Connect to public Wi-Fi networks when available
    • Ensure your device is powered off when you are not using it
    • Disable widgets and apps, which may continually transmit data in the background
    • For Smartphones, disable data roaming, domestic data and background data in your phone settings if you don't plan on using data
    • For additional information, review our Global Travel Data Usage Tips sheet or our
      on YouTube

[*]To estimate your data usage, use our Data Calculator

[*]When sending messages, you will be charged per recipient, per message.

[*]Please check the list of countries and carriers where text and picture/video functionality is available.

[*]Global Data Pricing options with data allowances may be available. (Select your destination country for information.)

[*]To view coverage maps, select the country name from the drop down list on our Rates and Coverage page.

[*]Picture/Video messages sent to/from Canada, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are charged at the domestic rate.

[*]Text messages sent from Canada, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands are charged as if they were sent from the U.S.

Dialing Instructions - The dialing instructions for your countries can be found below.Country CodeDial NetworkDialing FromDialing ToInstruction1CDMAPuerto RicoU.S.Dial 1 then Area Code then 7-digit U.S. number1CDMAPuerto RicoLocalDial 1 then Area Code (787) then 7-digit local number1CDMAPuerto RicoOther CountriesDial 00 then Country Code then international number1CDMAPuerto RicoCustomer ServiceDial 1 then 908-559-48991NonePuerto RicoCustomer Service from a landlineDial Access Code: 1-800-888-8000 then follow Calling Card Dialing Instructions (below)

• Your device may have an International Dial key that automatically inserts the exit code for outbound calls. Please refer to your Quick Reference Guide for specific instructions.
  • To check your Voice Mail, use the "From the Country to the US" instructions and call your mobile number. Press # to interrupt the greeting and enter your password when prompted.
  • Verizon Wireless Global Support is available 24/7. Call customer service toll free directly from your wireless phone at 1 908 559 4899.
  • Calling Card Dialing Instructions: If you cannot place a call from your VZW device, please call Global Support toll-free from any landline phone using these instructions.
    1. Dial the toll-free access code for the country you are in (See Dialing Instructions above).
    2. After the tone, enter your Verizon Wireless calling card number and PIN. (Calling Card Number: 9085594899 PIN: 2392)
    3. After the tone enter 0-908-559-4899.
    4. The VZW Global Roaming Hotline will then prompt you to enter your 10-digit mobile number.

[*]Please see VZW International Services – Outside the U.S. for additional countries.

Global Travel ProgramWireless technology is different throughout the world. With the Global Travel Program, you will have a wireless device that is compatible with your itinerary to ensure you can connect with your peers, business associates, family, and friends—wherever you go.

• You'll receive your Global Travel kit within 2 business days. A signature is required for package delivery.
  • Refer to the Global Travel Program Agreement, included in the order for activation instructions.
  • If you do not return your Global Travel device within 30 days of delivery, a $375 charge will apply for an Android device or $199 for all other devices.
  • The User Manual for the device you will receive can be found on the Global Travel Program website.

Did you know Verizon Wireless offers voice service in over 220 countries and data service in more than 205 countries, over 150 with 3G speed worldwide?

We just came back from EOS and have ATT service. In San Juan it was just like we were in states. No minute charges or text charges. I have Samsung Galaxy 4g and daughter has Iphone. No problems whatsoever, used phone, internet etc. However friends we were with had Verizon and they couldn't get coverage at all. Kept saying they were on extended area or something like that. And they both had smart phones. So they used our phones, but of course couldn't get their email. They were so mad that they said they were going to cancel their contracts when they got back to New York.

We had no problems this time, just like all the other times we have been in San Juan. So I guess it will just depend.

Pat

In San Juan Verizon is on "extended" service and calls are at the exact same rate/minute usage as the US........there are no extra charges. Use your phone as you use it at home......Your phone will not be charged roaming fees. Different Verizon reps will give you different answers/rates! You do have to set your phone with a code when you leave the US to be able to access more cell towers....I forgot what that code was.

If you are in San Juan downtown, there will be no extra charges with Verizon. If you are outside the city, there may be roaming charges. My brother has Verizon and was surprised to see charges on his phone bill for some areas. He called Verizon and was told that it depends where you are in Puerto Rico and even sometimes in San Juan. He did notice when making the calls that some did have "roaming" on the cell but he ignored it thinking that all the calls would have no extra charges. So, beware where you are in San Juan and watch for the "roaming" before making the call. Sally

True about outside San Juan there might be roaming.....In Condado, Isla Verde, OSJ there are no roaming fees.

We were there for a week this March and my Verizon cell always said "extended service" never roaming.

True about US Virgin Island if your carrier is AT&T......NOT TRUE for Verizon!

For Verizon USVI is roaming at $1.99 per minute.

True about outside San Juan there might be roaming.....In Condado, Isla Verde, OSJ there are no roaming fees.

We were there for a week this March and my Verizon cell always said "extended service" never roaming.

True about US Virgin Island if your carrier is AT&T......NOT TRUE for Verizon!

For Verizon USVI is roaming at $1.99 per minute.

Looks like I will be texting when I visit STT in September - domestic text rates apply......

• 1 month later...
San Juan is part of USA, so no additional fees. Same for US Virgin Islands if you happen to go there too

Just off the Explorer lat week. In Old San Juan, no problem texting HOWEVER I have 3G android and could NOT access my email with Verizon. I was extremely dissappointed with that cause they told me there would be no problem. Maybe in San Juan!!

Archived