NCL Jewel room review 8574 & 8568

gra2172

We stayed in 8574 and my sister in law stayed in 8568 on the Jewels Alaska cruise at the beginning of June 2012.

These rooms are pretty spacious compared to inside rooms.

I never can figure out the whole square feet thing they list, so if youre like me and want to know the approximate real size, its 9 x 17 (from door to window).

Amenities: These rooms come with a spare bed under the main beds and a bunk bed fitting 4 people altogether. (In the room, not on the bunk bed :p)

Hair dryer, desk, closet, safe, the usual stuff.. NO ROBES in the room, for those of you who ask. I dont care, but I see that question a lot. So there you go. ;)

Sound: Both rooms are above Chin Chin, so theres no noise from below or above.

There was some kid running up the hall pretty much constantly and at all hours, and one day I finally caught him and asked him what his problem was. :p Thats not the rooms fault tho. Just noting that I can hear it as a light sleeper.

View: These are obstructed view cabins. 8574 is mostly blocked by a lifeboat. Probably 90%. You can see a little ocean and mountains tho.

8568 is probably 10% blocked by a lifeboat. Both have double elongated porthole type windows. (see attachment)

Pros: I will be booking a deck 8 obstructed room again for sure. Without giving everything away, (I dont want everyone to book all the rooms! :p) Ill just say that its convenient to everywhere.

Cons: The kid in the hall kind of makes us want to book at the end of the hall instead of midship.

Deck 8 is like a freakin' maze. It winds and turns and even goes up and down. On day 1 I was totally lost. As a comparison, on deck 11 you can see pretty much from one end of the ship to the other.

The end that opens to the atrium is very narrow and turns so you cant see if someone is coming. Youll have to keep an eye open.

8574 is mid hall. 8568 is at a turn with a room on only one side and faces a hall junction. This probably leads to more sound problems if youre a light sleeper.

Conclusion: Those cons dont make me want to not book this room or deck 8 again. I would for sure. Its just a really great location. You can get to everywhere really easily.

4 stars. It would be 5 if the hall wasnt a maze! ;).

IMG_0018.jpg.c7dabcef6888da2009d0ceac61e6894b.jpg

I looked at these very rooms for our family cruise but we ended up getting a mini and an inside on Deck 11 because we got an excellent deal. I think I would be ok with an obstructed view as long as a little light came in. Those windows in the pic are great!

Thanks for the review. Just off the Gem (Jewel sister ship) and was on deck 8 and agree that the hallways were a bit of a maze with sloping levels in some places. We had a stroller and managed okay but was always slow at the corners and turns just because I didn't want to walk into anyone. Compared to other floors where there are straight shots and no slopes I think deck 8 would be a little more difficult to get around in some cases. I would book deck 8 again because it did seem conveniently located.

We loved booking cabins on deck 8 & depending on the itinerary, the obstructed OV with natural sunlight is a great bargain - we preferred the sideway cabins, most of them midship or aft, with more "usable" space & especially when it's just 2 of us by rearranging the queen beds to one side, yielding more floor space - depending on the cabin.

Plus, the "stairmaster" is free & complimentary, included at no extra charge - that is, the easy walk up to the buffet & pool deck, and walk down to reception & MDR's - and, Blue Lagoon very close by. Less excuses waiting for and using the elevators unless we're coming back via the lower deck's gangway after a shore day.

We are booked in 8056 on the other side of ship. My strategy was to try and book my obstacle in front of one of the smaller lifeboats so we can see over the top of it. What do you think, is that where smaller ones are?

• 3 years later...

I was booked for room 8568 but apparently they changed it after the original poster saw it in 2012. The windows are now painted over and you cannot see absolutely anything through them. They are covered in white paint. Do not book room 8568 on the Jewel unless you want to pay for an oceanview but have the same view as an inside cabin (nonexistent).