Which equipment?

Peemagg

We are thinking of doing a cruise next year, and I can walk short distances. I have a manual wheelchair that is a rigid style and scooter. Would you bring either of these or just rent one to be delivered to the boat? We are looking at a cruise that goes to San Juan, St Thomas, Grand Turk.

Take both if you can. You need the manual chair ashore as scooters are not very easy to use on uneven ground, or where there are no curb cuts or ramps into shops.

Alternatively, take your manual chair and rent a scooter on the ship to use aboard, but they are not cheap!

We are thinking of doing a cruise next year, and I can walk short distances. I have a manual wheelchair that is a rigid style and scooter. Would you bring either of these or just rent one to be delivered to the boat? We are looking at a cruise that goes to San Juan, St Thomas, Grand Turk.

Check the width of both items then compare to door width to determine if you need an accessible cabin.

Consider buying a collapsible wheelchair.

A folding wheelchair will give you more flexibility in getting off the ship and doing excursions as you can take the folding nearly anywhere, even the trunk of a taxi --- I'd guess that would be a problem with the rigid.

And if you do not have an accessible cabin, I'm guessing the rigid might not fit thru the 22 inch standard cabin (usually) doorway.

I would think that as you can walk a bit, the folding would be a lot easier to travel with.

My husband uses a scooter and it's 'all kinds of difficult' to travel with at times.

Archived