Enough time for a Mendenhall Glacier excursion after zipline tour in Juneau?

TravelRookie

Looking at the itinerary of the cruise we are to book, it appears we'll be in Juneau from 8am to 9pm. We are definitely doing the zipline excursion in Juneau which is roughly 3.5 to 4 hours if I'm remembering correctly. Once that's done, there's still plenty of time left to do other things and I'd really like to visit and/or walk on Mendenhall Glacier, or do a hike in the trails but not sure if even the guided ones doing the trails gets you close enough.

There are a few shorter excursions but they include a helicopter ride to the glacier. The one I found doesn't have the helicopter ride, includes a treck lasting 7.5 hours (found one for 6 hours by Gastineau Guiding). I'm not sure it would be wise to leave one excursion to jump right into another that would take up my whole day. I'd like to see some sights of Juneau, like on the tramway, unless the glacier trecks are a must and the city, though nice, not up to par with a glacier treck. Has anyone taken a city and glacier tour in Juneau, or perhaps the guided hiking trail around and/or to the glacier and found it sufficient?

Hubby and I are more into the exploring and nature than city touring.

you should have plentaly of time, what ship are you on? I walked already down to the glacier (waterfall) in a few hours. Its not to be missed. I am taking a copter to the glacier and hope to walk back to waterfall. It does not get dark in Alaska

You "may" have time, but if you are looking at the guided land glacier access from the West side, then you would have to be able to meet the time of the guided hike, which may not "go" with your zip line. I suggest you find out their schedule and see if you can do both. You do not need any guiding from the east side. Trails are clearly marked.

If you are looking for glacier trekking, I only recommend the level three tour with Northstar Helicopter.

Archived