Dolphin Encounters worth it?

JoshuaS99

I am taking my bride on her first cruise for our honeymoon. She thinks the dolphin encounter will be fun, but I think it looks like a family thing. Is it worth it or would we be better off using our 6 hours in Nassau for something else?

Thank you

Excuse me, but what 6 hours are u talking about? We were in the Bahamas just last month and the longer of the two activities the Swim with the Dolphins is 3 hours from pick up at the ferry dock to return to the cruise ship wharf. It is most definately worth it but I'm not sure where you are getting the 6 hours. here is the website for the Dolphin Encounters http://www.dolphinencounters.com. Best of luck.

We did the dolphin swim in 2002 and it was a thrill. My daughter still talks about it to this day. There were several adults in our group, in fact my daughter was the only child. The swim is more expensive and you must know how to swim, therefore the encounter seems to have more children.

Kathleen

We did the Dolphin "Encounter" last May as I am not a strong swimmer, but I cannot wait to go back next February to do it again. ABSOLUTELY worth doing - it was the highlight of our trip and something we will never forget. You can also buy the video of your encounter - which is a lasting memory and something you can show your family and friends when you get back.

Excuse me, but what 6 hours are u talking about? We were in the Bahamas just last month and the longer of the two activities the Swim with the Dolphins is 3 hours from pick up at the ferry dock to return to the cruise ship wharf. It is most definately worth it but I'm not sure where you are getting the 6 hours. here is the website for the Dolphin Encounters www.dolphinencounters.com. Best of luck.

the OP is talking about the 6 hours his ship is in port, not 6 hours doing the Dolphin Adventure.

we did a Dolphin Encounter on our honeymoon, not in Nassau, but it still was a great and once-in-a-lifetime (unless you're lucky) experience.:)

plus, I've heard there's really not much else to do or see in Nassau. and the few things there are to do, you can probably easily fit in after your Dolphin Encounter, before your ship departs. on TOP of which, you'll get some really nice "brownie points" for letting your new bride do something it sounds like she'd really like to do. ;)

Hey everyone -

I jsut called that company...you are only in the water with the dolphins for 15 minutes......wow....thats not cool, i know it would be an amazing experience but the majority of the time is educational, changing, and of course perusing the gift shop.....

• 5 weeks later...
the OP is talking about the 6 hours his ship is in port, not 6 hours doing the Dolphin Adventure.

BWAHAHAHA!

i was wondering of anyone was going to fire back at that!

Its the little things that can make your day...ya know :O)

Ed

I have done both the "swim" and the "encounter"....The swim was awesome and is still the best excursion I have ever done. The encounter was a waste of money in my opinion, nothing more than a photo op....I think it is more for children. Go with the "swim" you won't be sorry :) ........

My daughter and I did the Dolphin Swim in Ocho Rios and it was wonderful. I agree don't waste your money on the Dolphin Encounter - you'll wish you did the Swim and then it's too late. You don't have to know how to swim because you wear a life vest. Also don't wear that engagement ring, they will put tape all over it. Dolphin's skin is very sensitive and you can't wear jewelry.

I have done both the "swim" and the "encounter"....The swim was awesome and is still the best excursion I have ever done. The encounter was a waste of money in my opinion, nothing more than a photo op....I think it is more for children. Go with the "swim" you won't be sorry :) ........

Did you do the "swim" in Nassau or some other port? How much time were you actually IN the water with the Dolphins? If you took the ferry over to the Blue Lagoon, what did they have on the ferry (food, drinks???).

My family and I did Dolphin Encounters last August. My husband and 8 yr old daughter did the Close Encounter and I did the Swim. It was absolutely wonderful. These two areas are not next to each other - I could not see them and they could not see me, which was a shame.

When you first arrive, you are give educational information i.e. where it is proper for dolphins to be touched and not be touched, etc.

My daughter is not too keen on dogs, so for her to actually feel comfortable enough to get in the water with these huge mammals was quite an accomplishment. My husband said the trainers were just wonderful with her in making her feel as ease just getting in the water. We all enjoyed the kiss, dance, hug, and playfulness of these beautiful animals. I was able to experience the thrilling foot push. They are truly amazing animals. One of the dolphins, Andy, even retreived a rock from the bottom of the lagoon for my daughter, which she treasures.

This excursion is a wonderful experience for anyone and worth every dime.

If anyone has questions, I will try to answer them for you.

My 13 and 14 year olds did the Royal Swim last week on Isla Mujeres (off Cancun). They absolutely loved it! The dolphins seemed to be having a good time too. We were able to watch, take pictures and shoot a video. We didn't choose to buy their video, but it was very entertaining to watch. I did buy a few of their pictures, because they looked so great!

Robin G

So you think the encounter was a good deal? I would love to take my daughter to a dolphin excursion...but she is too young for the swim so I thought perhaps the dolphin encounter this time. I have heard people say it was not worth the money.

How long did your daugther get to interact with the dolphins?

Robin G

So you think the encounter was a good deal? I would love to take my daughter to a dolphin excursion...but she is too young for the swim so I thought perhaps the dolphin encounter this time. I have heard people say it was not worth the money.

How long did your daugther get to interact with the dolphins?

Hey OPgirl.......Lenexa, Kansas here......

RobinG, were you in Nassau for the encounter or some other island/excursion?

I also have a question on the Dolphin Swim/Encounter. We are on the Explorer of the Seas in February and I've noticed two different options. One is in Nassau for 3-1/2 hours called Dolphin Encounter. The other is in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten for 6-1/2 hrs called Discovery Dolphin Swim. I think 6 hrs is a long time but the thought of swimming vs. an encounter might be more appealing. Can anyone give me a recommendation on which is better.

Thanks.....

I also have a question on the Dolphin Swim/Encounter. We are on the Explorer of the Seas in February and I've noticed two different options. One is in Nassau for 3-1/2 hours called Dolphin Encounter. The other is in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten for 6-1/2 hrs called Discovery Dolphin Swim. I think 6 hrs is a long time but the thought of swimming vs. an encounter might be more appealing. Can anyone give me a recommendation on which is better.

Thanks.....

The one in Nassau offers both the swim AND the encounter. This may help...

http://www.dolphinswims.com/

Hey Lenexa small world!

So Opgirl, when are you planning a cruise? We are on the Mariner of the Seas July 2006. I have been promising my kids forever that I will finally spend the bucks and take them on a Dolphin Swim. I hope the one in Nassau is worth it and they actually let the kids do the kick push and ride??? That's basically what I'm trying to find out for sure.

Lenexa

Opgirl and Ciship--

Since I did the Swim and not the Encounter, I just asked my husband who did it with our daughter. He said they were in the water for about 20 minutes and that it was defintely worth it. In fact, we're island hopping this August in the Bahamas and our daughter wants to do Dolphin Encounters again!

The company we went through was Dolphin Encounters on Blue Lagoon Island - it's located on Nassau, Bahamas. We were staying at the Atlantis at the time. We took a cab from the hotel over to the ferry. They depart from the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal between the two bridges on Paradise Island. You need to be there 15 mins. before departure.

I have a brochure that I can fax to you if you want more info. The website http://www.dolphinencounters.com has lots of info. too.

RobinG,

I'm more interested in the SWIM that you did. What activities did they allow you to do with the dolphins? Did the dolphins push you by the heel of your foot? Did you get to hold onto their fin and have them race you through the water?

I just want something more for my kids then "just a kiss and a touch" (which I know is all the encounter offers).

Anxious to hear what you did specifically :)

Thanks!

Archived