Dolphin Encounters worth it?

JoshuaS99

Ciship--

After you get the initial instructions and info. you're broken into the two groups. We then were fitted with life jackets. There were 9 of us and we were told to sit along the dock in a line with our feet in the water. Even that's a little freaky at first knowing these huge shark-looking animals are in the water. Very intimidating. I think there were two in the lagoon with us at that time. They would swim right under our feet and we were already oohing and ahhing.

They then poked their heads up out of the water facing us just a few feet away. The trainer had them do some joke stuff and splashed us, pretty cool and funny. The dolphins giggled and flapped their flippers and squirted water at us. Then it was time to hop into the water. I must admit, I was extremely excited but pretty freaked. They were cute but very large and, well, VERY LARGE!

The trainer told us to keep in a line and the dolphins took turns swimming past us so that we could pet them. They swam up and down several times and then turned over so that we could pet their tummy. At the beginning of the tour, you learn where their belly button is and you are not to touch below the belly touch, just like a person. There were so soft.

It was then time for the dance, hug and kiss with the dolphin. Not sure if all three are photographed, but I know I purchased the kiss photo and it's a goofy picture because I'm laughing hysterically in it. My husband bought it!!

It's just amazing how patient these animals are. If the photographer thinks the photo isn't right or the trainer doesn't think you got a 'good kiss", they do it again. They really take their time. All this time, by the way, they are taking a video, which you may also purchase. I did not because it was only me. I was with two other families and I know they each purchased a video because they were all involved together.

Time for the foot push. I believe they may have exchanged dolphins at this time and got two "fresh" ones! One person at a time, we swam out maybe 10 feet into the lagoon. The trainer will tell you when you're just at the right spot. You lay on your tummy, lock your knees and stretch your arms out in front of you. The trainer says something or other and you know the dolphins are coming up behind you. Each dolphin pushes with their "nose" on the heel of your foot for several feet, maybe 30-40 feet. I'm bad with estimates, but that's my guess. If you knees are good and locked, you'll lift right into the air from about the waist up. What a rush!!

That's about it. The brochure says that your in the water for 30 minutes, but it sure seemed longer than that and we did and experienced a lot of things in that amount of time. I can't imagine a better way of spending part of your summer vacation.

The gift shop is really nice, too. My daughter picked out a really pretty stuffed dolphin she named Andy after her new friend. They have nice stuff there, not cheapy looking stuff. And while your shopping they're developing your photos. You get to choose what you may want to purchase right then and there. They also show you a bit of the video too.

Don't know how old your kids are, but I'm sure they'll be pleased.

Hope this helps.

We did the swim in Cozumel -the best thing We ever did= we bought the video and I never do stuff like that. They pushed you up by your heels, pulled you through the water. free swim with them afterward , kiss, , shake, great fun really - worth every penney. Book independently -not with the ship- cheaper although still expensive.

Robin G,

Thank you!!! That's exactly what I needed. A full description of the "swim". My kids are 13 and 9. Were their age limitations? Will they let the 9 year old go on her own? She knows how to tread water, but isnt the greatest swimmer yet. Do they give the kids life vests? Is there a spot where a parent can watch their children?

Again.......thanks for the full explanation!

ciship

According to the site, the restrictions for the "swim" are:

Guests age 5 or younger are not allowed in this program.

Guests ages 6 to 12 must be accompanied by a participating paying adult (parent or guardian at least 18 years of age).

Guests age 13 to 17 must be accompanied by an adult (observer ticket is accepted) who needs to sign the liability waiver.

that being said, i never miss a chance to swim with dolphins, - they are such fabulous creatures :) . i've swam with them twice in the FL Keys, and once each, in Bermuda, Cozumel, and Hawaii.

thanks for the link, btw - i'm glad to see observer tickets are available :)

Ciship--

Your welcome. I just hope my memory is correct!!

Yes, you are able to watch. There is an observer fee of $20 and includes the boat trip and use of their facilities. They do warn, however, that you may not have the best views because you are not permitted on the platforms.

EVERYONE must wear a lifevest. Your 9 year old must be with an adult who is participating in the program.

When is your trip?? I'd love to hear about your experience when you return.

Have fun.

Robin

Ciship-

We are off on the Elation on the 24th of July. We were looking at the dolphin stuff in Cozumel.

I am surprised when I see people have booked trips so far in adavnce. This is our first cruise and we booked last week. Is it a lot cheaper or something to book so far in advance?

Thanks Robin G for getting that info for me.

Ciship

We are off on the Elation next month. I notice that others book way in advance like you...what is the reason for this? Is it a better deal? Sorry, this is our first cruise....sort of a last minute plan and our first one!

Robin G thanks for checking I really appreciate the info.

Will keep that in mind thanks RobinG. Sorry about the double post did not see my orginal come up. Some days just blonder than others.:)

Is the place you mentioned near Paradise Beach?

Pancho's Backyard is in town right in the shopping district. Any cabbie will know it. It's fantastic. It's actually attached to a huge shopping area and a great place to stroll around after a margahrita or two!! :rolleyes:

Ciship

We are off on the Elation next month. I notice that others book way in advance like you...what is the reason for this? Is it a better deal? Sorry, this is our first cruise....sort of a last minute plan and our first one!

Robin G thanks for checking I really appreciate the info.

OPGIRL,

It "can" be a little cheaper to book far in advance......but, then again, I have seen the prices go down on some of my cruises closer to the date and some of them just stayed the same. The reason I book so far ahead is because I am so picky about my cabin location. If you wait AT ALL, (and are picky like me) you won't get the cabin you want. I hand pick my cabin on each ship after I have done a ton of research. Some people don't care WHAT cabin they have but we just happen to spend a good amount of time in ours....so it is important to us to have the right one (for us).

I hope you have a great cruise. I can't wait to hear all about it when you return. We are just heading down to Branson this summer with the kids....no cruise this summer :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived