Pricing depending on the time of year

I read a thread on here about Allure/Oasis and someone mentioned that Dec 1 sailings are generally the cheapest ones of the whole year. As you can see in my signature, my hubby and I are booked for dec 1 2013! I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light into why that is the lowest cost of the year... is there some sort of nefarious reason why the pricing is lower? Does the Caribbean turn into the mojave desert for a week each year at this time [clearly I'm kidding with that]?

Would love some insight. We got the most amazing deal on an oceanview balcony for 900$/pp including taxes plus 400 in obc so I would hate to lose out on a great deal...but now I'm concerned! :)

Seasoned cruisers, help a [somewhat only 5 cruises] newbie out here.

thanks!

Supply and demand rule in December as well as any other time of year. Vacation travel is traditionally lower during certain times of the year and the first few weeks of December and some weeks in early January seem to have the lowest levels. As a result, the cruiselines price their cruises accordingly and offer low prices for those weeks to help fill their ships. Nothing nefarious or mysterious about it, simply common sense.:) If you have the time available you may get a great bargain.

An RCI "expert" might have a better answer, but I feel it is the time of year.

You're basically coming out of Thanksgiving week, where there is high demand for cruises due to the short week (thus, many have cruised already that week), and moving into the Christmas season, with company holiday parties and such usually occurring somewhat earlier in December. The next big demand of course, is Christmas / New Years for cruises. So, you've got this week in between that tends to show little demand historically, thus the prices are lower to attract demand. They know what the dead weeks are, and have sophisticated software to "yield manage" the cabins and prices to get every last cent out of that cruise. Booking early probably did not hurt, based upon what you paid and the OBC, I can't see it going much lower, but if it does, take further advantage of it.

Good for you for taking advantage of it! :)

We always travel on these shoulder type seasons, in December northamericans tend to be Christmas shopping during this time and it is a busy season for Christmas parties family gatherings etc. So it is always a time to get a good cruise deal. During September too when kids are returning to school parents like to be around to get things organized and some are spent out from summer holidays too.

Happy sailing

Brian J

Additionally, in December people are still dreaming of a white Christmas...wait another 6-8 weeks and many northerns are growing tired of snow and cold. Also after the holidays, the snowbirds have migrated south and are in position for cruise departures.

The cheapest cruises I've been on returned home on Dec 23 or 24. It seems most people need more time than that to finalize their Christmas festivities. Or they want to be home to enjoy that last week leading up to Christmas. Although it probably depends on the ship and the itinerary to a degree. I find any Caribbean cruise between labor day and Christmas, with the exception of Thanksgiving, is a good deal if you wait until after final payment to book it.

Gina

Archived