Anyone know where I can get some good conch??

dawnie216

My boyfriend and I are going on the miracle out of NY in Nov. We are on a tight budget this trip so no big excursions planned. In Nassau we really want to just do a little shopping eat some conch and hit up a beach.. Where can I find good conch and a nice beach without spending too much cash???

My boyfriend and I are going on the miracle out of NY in Nov. We are on a tight budget this trip so no big excursions planned. In Nassau we really want to just do a little shopping eat some conch and hit up a beach.. Where can I find good conch and a nice beach without spending too much cash???

If you are going to be in Grand Turk I would reccomend going straight down the beach from Margaritaville to a lilttle place called local Village. They have very nice conch fritters. Very Inexpensive. The beach is free and the water is lovely. I think the chairs are free and they have free wifi.

Yes I know you specifically asked about Nassau, but I don't know any beaches there. I found most things on Nassau much more expensive and touristy. I thought since you were on the Miracle You would also be in Grand Turk so maybe you could get your conch on there. :D

Sadly no stop at Grand Turk :-( Ports of call are port canaveral, and Nassau and Freeport. None of the excursions in Nassau are appealing to us or seem worth the money which is why we want to just find a good place to eat and a beach to relax :-)

Nassau has the "Fish Fry" (Arawak Cay) area with lots of little restaurants with Conch dishes and native foods....it is in walking distance or short cab ride from ship, past Junkanoo Beach.

Senor Frogs is a fun place in Nassau and they actually have good food, not cheap, but good and drinks....you can't miss it. They do a great Conch Salad that they make fresh in front of you (like cerviche) really yummy

There is a restaurant around the corner from there called Conch Fritters..it is pretty decent

Lastly...you can get some awesome conch fritters for about $3 in the Big Building at the Port (that you walk thru after you get off the ship to get into town, and that you have to walk thru to get back to the ship)

Conch is THE dish of the Bahamas...you will even see People selling big conch shells !!

There's a thread on this exact subject going in the Port of Call board right now...

As you'll see there, there are supposed to be really great conch fritters right inside the terminal building in Nassau, and other great conch items at Arawak Cay.

We ate at a place called Conch Fritters. It was inexpensive and they actually had coke with real sugar. We walked there. We're going there again this year. Nice place very local type place.

Nassau has the "Fish Fry" (Arawak Cay) area with lots of little restaurants with Conch dishes and native foods....it is in walking distance or short cab ride from ship, past Junkanoo Beach.

Senor Frogs is a fun place in Nassau and they actually have good food, not cheap, but good and drinks....you can't miss it. They do a great Conch Salad that they make fresh in front of you (like cerviche) really yummy

There is a restaurant around the corner from there called Conch Fritters..it is pretty decent

Lastly...you can get some awesome conch fritters for about $3 in the Big Building at the Port (that you walk thru after you get off the ship to get into town, and that you have to walk thru to get back to the ship)

Conch is THE dish of the Bahamas...you will even see People selling big conch shells !!

the #10 bus to Arawak Cay also takes you past public beaches as well as the Hotels that have beaches. It is easily accessible from the pier area.

The #12 bus goes down toward the big bridge to Atlantis. Under that bridge there are a row of fish shacks doing conch and fish dishes. Sit in the shade, drink beer, people watch. On the other side of the street there are a few shops selling touristy type stuff as well as veggies. The buses are a dollar per trip. both take you past some historical sites as well. We took both on our last trip through Nassau.

Hugh in Dallas

We booked a private excursion when we went. It was only about $60 I think. The guy picked us up at the port and took us on a tour of the city, hitting all the major sights, plus some really cool out of the way places. We were never rushed. He let us take all the time we wanted at each stop. He was super nice and really knew a lot about the city. Then he took us to a little restraunt where we had lunch. It wasn't unlimited food, but all 5 of us were stuffed and there was food left over. I rememebr having plantain chips, conch salad, and conch fritters. I know there was more, but I don't remember what all it was. It was all included in the price. When we were through, we had plenty of time to go shopping. I'll see if I can find the link for you, but I know I got it from CC, so it's floating around here somewhere.

We had a great experience at Twin Brothers at Arawak Cay (which is AKA "Fish Fry). It's only about a mile or so to the right of the pier. You can take the #11 bus right near the pier(which is what we did, $1pp, fun to ride with the locals), or cab, or even walk.

Fish Fry is a row of restaurants. When we went, it was mostly full of locals and some ship crew, so you know it's got to be good. They shuck (or whatever it's called when you remove the conch from the shell) and cut it up in windows right in the front of the restaurant. So it's all super fresh and delicious.

My recommendation would be to have conch in Freeport at Billy Joe's Conch Shack right on the free beach down the path from the police station. Great pina colada's and miami vice's there, too, as well as grilled lobster. Can't wait to go back.

The #12 bus goes down toward the big bridge to Atlantis. Under that bridge there are a row of fish shacks doing conch and fish dishes. Sit in the shade, drink beer, people watch. On the other side of the street there are a few shops selling touristy type stuff as well as veggies. The buses are a dollar per trip. both take you past some historical sites as well. We took both on our last trip through Nassau.

Hugh in Dallas

This is Potters Cay........all shacks and looks like a place you would not go to at home........it is a locals place and has the BEST conch fritters(VERY cheap-8 for about $1.50) and conch salad(think ceviche-$8?)......red snapper dinners($12)........all made fresh when you order......

You can then walk over the bridge towards Atlantis and go to the beach next door..

We eat at Potters Cay every time..

2132651800042692775S600x600Q85.jpg

2381035990042692775S600x600Q85.jpg

I was in Nassau in March and I went to Junkanoo Beach it is a short walk from the pier. There on the beach was a little shack that sells conch fritters. I think I paid like $6 for a nice amount. I just sat on the beach ate them with a Coke made with sugar.

Some people will say Junkanoo beach is "junk" but I have been there twice now and it is a nice beach same water you can pay the Hilton to swim in. Everyone we met were so nice on the beach.

In Freeport they now have shacks set up in what use to be the parking lot, there I had Conch salad, this I will pass on next time. Fitters are good I think.

I can tell where NOT to go! Had my first taste of conch fritters at Shuckers, the bar & restaurant attached to the Best Western (north village miami). Yuck. Big greasy deep fried ball of batter with teensy little mince of conch. Still like trying to eat pencil erasers, very tough & chewy.

I hope to try it again at some place that prepares it well. Not that I would know, but I doubt anyone would like it if this is how it's supposed to be.

We get off the ship in Nassau and go into the building before you actually get into the island. Get some conch there. They have great conch. Love me some conch. Anyway, also grab some small Bacardi rum cakes. The small ones are great! Then, get right back on the ship and enjoy the spa.

Archived