First Cruise - Alaska - Sept 2005

znapdragon

:D Hi - any advice would be great! an old friend and I are going on our first ever cruise to Alaska in September on Coral Princess. Can anyone give me advice about what the weather will be like then? will we be missing out because, presumably, it'll get dark early. (we plan to get up at 5am daily when it gets light not to miss a thing)! any advice for first time cruisers really welcome. Thanks very much!

I'm currently in Alaska for the first time, typing this from the waterfront of Ketchikan. My best advice would be to bring a rain coat. The locals here say that it rains almost daily here. It is very informal when you are off of the ship so dress for comfort. You can pick up plenty of Alaskan made sweaters and sweatshirts at the various ports at reasonable prices.

CaribbeanBlue

www,*****.org

About a week before we are set to cruise, I check http://www.accuweather.com. They seem to be the most accurate for weather forecasts. Any time we are traveling, I use this website. Last year when we cruised Alaska, we had record sunshine and temps in Juneau and only a light sprinkle as we were getting ready to get back onboard at Ketchican. Skagway was bright and sunny as well, although there was a fierce wind that day. From what I've heard, this was all highly irregular. We were there the first week of June.

Just take your windbreaker, an umbrella, and a rain poncho and you should be fine. Alaska is so beautiful. We are looking forward to going back later in June this year.

Enjoy!

:D Hi - any advice would be great! an old friend and I are going on our first ever cruise to Alaska in September on Coral Princess. Can anyone give me advice about what the weather will be like then? will we be missing out because, presumably, it'll get dark early. (we plan to get up at 5am daily when it gets light not to miss a thing)! any advice for first time cruisers really welcome. Thanks very much!

When in September makes a big difference. Begining is great, it can get worse weather quickly by mid Sept. If you are going then - it won't be light at 5am lucky if by 6:30am with twilight. :) dusk by 7pm. Take advantage and see if any good Northern Lights predictions, check daily http://www.gi.alaska.edu/predict.php3

We went in Sept. on back-to-back cruises and had a great time and (mostly) great weather! Do take raingear, including rain pants.....we had rain jackets, but our legs got completely soaked in Ketchikan. Also hat and mittens for glacier watching from the deck. Long underwear might also be a good bet just to be on the safe side. I really wish I had brought mine....not because it was terribly cold, just because I was out on the deck all day in the wind and it was a chilly after a few hours of sitting in one place. Princess had great wool blankets to use on deck too! On some of the port days, we were in T-shirts, mostly sweatshirt/jeans weather. Have a great trip!

Archived