Plan our day....

This will be the first cruise we will be going on & I am becoming a bit overwhelmed the closer it gets. I have our Cozumel day all planned, but as far as Progresso, I am not sure. I do know I want to ride on the DD bus tour, but after that, what would you recommend?

What is a good place to eat? I have read alot about Buddy's and they have good reviews, but is there any place you prefer more or would recommend instead of there?

Also, what about shopping? Where is the best place to shop? I'm not looking for anything in particular, just wanna see what catches my eye. ;)

You should take the free shuttle into town (Progreso) walk around a bit and then if you feel like it, catch a cab to Merida. It's a 30 minute ride. The bus is even cheaper. 30 pesos or so.

Go to the main square in Merida, hang out for a while and then head back to the beach to get a cheap massage. Leave about an hour to get back to Merida - people always underestimate traffic in the city which has 1 million inhabitants.

Then back on the ship!

...and remember the best way to fend off the ever present vendors is just wave a finger no. They understand and move on. Travelled down to Mexico for over 50 years and the simple finger shake always work. You don't need to say a thing although I have fun with them and buy their trinkets sometimes for the grandkids. Great fun I think.

For ruins, I prefer Uxmal. Less travel time and way less crowded. However, after being at both and Uxmal twice, I spend most days in Merida but I will be spending one day in Izamal this year.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will be in Progresso from 8am to 4pm ship time. Does that mean 7am to 3pm in Progresso? How long does the DD bus tour take & will cabs/buses be readily available when we get off the DD bus? I would like to go into Merida to do some shopping. Is there any place you would recommend eating while there? Also, do we need pesos?

If you are going to Merida, bring pesos, yes. For food, try La Chaya Maya, a Yucatecan food restaurant featuring home cooked traditional recipes and hand made corn tortillas (they make them right there). Also La Tradicion, a little further out of town but on the way back to Progreso is also an excellent choice for local cuisine.

Timewise we should be on the same time, but I am not sure about that one.

GOLFNTOB - yes you can sit at the beach, the waiters will feed you and bring you beers while the kids are there on the beach as well.

For ruins, I prefer Uxmal. Less travel time and way less crowded. However, after being at both and Uxmal twice, I spend most days in Merida but I will be spending one day in Izamal this year.

Make sure you have lunch at Kinich - Izamal's best Yucatecan restaurant. :)

This is what I would like to do as well, sit at the beach while my kids play. Is there a public beach or would I need to go to a resort? How would I get there? Thanks!

The beach at progreso is a very short walk from where the bus from the boat lets you off. There are bars/restraunts across the street from the beach that also have tables and chairs on the beach in the shade...and they have some of those lounger thingys where you can lay in the sun...right up to the waters edge. You are expected to buy food or drinks since you are using their chairs...the drinks and food are good and they will bring them to you, so you dont have to move. If you dont want to purchase any food/drinks...you can find a spot along the beach and just use your towels to lay on. There will be vendors...of all ages...trying to sell their stuff, but they will move on when you tell them no. We've had a lot of fun on the beach at Progreso...met some nice folks...had a relaxing massages...good food and drink...its very relaxing. Sometimes they even have music playing and its a fun time!:)

Ok, pardon my ignorance, but where do we get pesos? Also, I am debating on just staying in Progresso because I have concerns about not getting back from Merida in time. :/ I have read a few reviews about several restaraunts, Flamingo's & Le Saint Bonnet, has anyone ate there & are they decent places to eat or would you recommend someplace else?

In ten years, I've never read of anyone not getting back in time for boarding. Just use common sense if you go to Merida. Allow an hour and quarter to be safe if usiing the local bus.

I've eaten at le Saint Bonnet half dozen times. Love the whole deep friend snapper.

When staying in Merida, I usually use currency exchanges. A few extra pesos. I've never exchanged in Progreso since dollars have always been happily accepted. Maybe Mr Lawson will be along soon to identify bank locations. Or check the map in http://www.yucatantoday.com

This new law will be inconvient for me when I go to Merida for two weeks.

This new law will be inconvient for me when I go to Merida for two weeks.

Might be inconvenient, but the idea is to stem the flow of dollars into the economy from the drug trade. Also, imagine a Mexican wishing he could pay for lunch in Philadelphia with pesos. He would be laughed out of the country!

I look forward to buying you a beer/coffee in Merida, Sr. Dawson!

:D

You will find dollars readily accepted in Progreso; it is a tourist town. Once you head inland you will encounter resistance to dollars as it is against the law to accept them in formal, established businesses.

hdawson said something about currency exchanges. Are these easy to find? Or, better yet, where is one?

hdawson said something about currency exchanges. Are these easy to find? Or, better yet, where is one?

You can use the banks, which will be open during your time in port. You will need ID like passport and have to fill out a form. There are a few in Progreso such as BBV-Bancomer, Banamex and an HSBS if I am not mistaken. They are all located a few blocks from the beachfront malecon.

Not sure on exchange places in Progreso. Anyone?

If you are indeed going into Merida, you will find many exchange places in and around the main square also know as La Plaza Grande. Lots of banks too. It's a zocalo in other parts of the country, but here in the Yucatan it's La Plaza Grande.

Do not confuse this with La Gran Plaza which is a mall nowhere near downtown Merida but on the highway to Progreso.

Archived