Anc to Seward drive..tunnel?

4_Leaf_Clover

We are debating on whether to take the train from Anchorage to Seward or to drive.

I would love to drive it as we took the train from Anchorage to Whittier this year.

My question is: If driving from Anchorage to Seward, do you pass through that 2.5 mile railroad tunnel or is there a way to bypass it?

Would be nice if there was a way to avoid that tunnel going to Seward so that we can drive and stop at our pace without having to worry about "making the tunnel" in time.

The 2.5 mile jointly shared (by vehicles and train) tunnel is on the road to Whittier. If you drive from Anchorage to Seward you do not go through the tunnel. If you drive from Anchorage to Whittier you do go through the tunnel.

Ok great. I wasnt sure if it was the same highway all the way from Anchorage, through Whittier to Seward.

Thanks!

Ok great. I wasnt sure if it was the same highway all the way from Anchorage, through Whittier to Seward.

Thanks!

You need to get THE MILEPOST, and take a look at a map. Try your library, until ready to purchase a copy.

Hey Ashlie! The drive from Anchorage to Seward is beautiful. We stopped a lot along the way. It is an easy drive---we loved it! I bought a used copy of the Milepost through Amazon which really helped with all of our road trips. Also, Alaska.org has some great information on different drives. Good luck with your plans :)

It's a beautiful drive and there's lots to see/do in and around Seward as well.

We're spending a couple of days there before our cruise. I "have" to go to their fantastic aquarium every time.............and out to Exit Glacier......and,................ and...........;)

As the others said, NO tunnel to Seward.

If you really want to see the Whittier tunnel, turn off the Seward Highway at Portage and drive in about five miles. Otherwise, you aren't even close to it :)

Im actually trying to avoid the tunnel lol. We went through it on the way to Whittier so I was just making sure we didnt have to drive through it again on the way to Seward. Thanks though! :)

Hey Ashlie! The drive from Anchorage to Seward is beautiful. We stopped a lot along the way. It is an easy drive---we loved it! I bought a used copy of the Milepost through Amazon which really helped with all of our road trips. Also, Alaska.org has some great information on different drives. Good luck with your plans :)

Howdy Susan!!!

We are still debating on whether we want to go to Seward to fish or drive on down to Homer...but trying to get all my ducks in a row first to hopefully make the decision easier. I would rather go to Seward (shorter drive) but Seward has a 1 halibut limit vs Homer's 2....and we can go on an overnight Homer trip (which would also cut out our hotel for the night) with a 4 halibut limit for almost the same price as Sewards day trip with 1 halibut. Decisions Decisions...here we go again!! :confused:

Ashlie

On our last trip to Alaska, we spent 8 nights on the Kenai. We flew into Anchorage and picked up our rental car. Drove to Girdwood and spent two nights there. The first day we took a glacier jet boat up 20 mile river. Then went to Alyeska resort and took the gondola up to the top of the mountain....hiked around there for a while. The next day we took a hike from the base of the gondola to Crow Creek Mine....at one point in the hike, you have to take a two person hand tram across a canyon....It was exciting.

The next day we drove to Homer. Stopped in the town of Hope to watch all the fishermen. Stayed at the End of the Spit and had a beautiful room. We took one day to just drive around and enjoy the beauty. The next day we took Bald Mountain Air to bear watch in Katmai. We landed on a remote beach and spent about 3 hours with the bears.

The next day we drove to Seward. Stayed at the Holiday Inn...it's very nice and very convenient to everything. We had planned to hike exit glacier but a huge rainstorm had closed the road to the glacier so we just enjoyed Seward and the area. The next day we took a cruise of Kenai Fjord with Kenai Fjord Tours. Highly recommend them. Our third day we booked with Kayak Adventures Worldwide. This was absolutely amazing and I would highly recommend this trip. It was a full day to Aialik Bay. One of my favorite lifetime experiences.

I am so happy we spent the time in each area....it just wasn't enough time. I would go back again without thinking twice.

Enjoy your trip

Archived