What to do.....

Jules7226

We will be stopping at St. Maarten on our September cruise. We have quite a few things planned at our other stops, but just want to hang out on a beach here. I really have not desire to go to Maho beach at all. Just want to find a nice place to hang out and relax for the day. Maybe rent some chairs, be close to a bar and some yummy food. Does anyone have any ideas where we can go to find these things? :)

Last March, we took a cab to Dawn Beach and got off at Busby's. You can rent chairs/umbrellas there. The beach and water were clean and it was not at all crowded. Actually I don't think anyone from our cruise was there at all!

We will be stopping at St. Maarten on our September cruise. We have quite a few things planned at our other stops, but just want to hang out on a beach here. I really have not desire to go to Maho beach at all. Just want to find a nice place to hang out and relax for the day. Maybe rent some chairs, be close to a bar and some yummy food. Does anyone have any ideas where we can go to find these things? :)

Simpson Bay Beach may be what you are looking for. it is near the airport as well so you will here the planes but the atmosphere is totally different. Karakter beach bar is a great spot and the food is fabulous. Here is their website: http://www.karakterbeach.com/

Just grab the water taxi and go over to the downtown Philipsburg area. (Not far at all, only about a 10 min boat ride) There is a beautiful beach with chairs and umbrellas right there. You can even see the ship from here. There are lots of restaurants and shops right behind the area. This is what we are planning on when we go back in December. We had lunch at the restaurant on the corner and it was really good! We sat outside and had a view of the ship while we ate. It doesn't get much better than that!:)

Just grab the water taxi and go over to the downtown Philipsburg area. (Not far at all, only about a 10 min boat ride) There is a beautiful beach with chairs and umbrellas right there. You can even see the ship from here. There are lots of restaurants and shops right behind the area. This is what we are planning on when we go back in December. We had lunch at the restaurant on the corner and it was really good! We sat outside and had a view of the ship while we ate. It doesn't get much better than that!:)

This is one beach that I have not swam in since 2006 after finding out about the pollution issues at this beach from cc members such as Gary and others who are very familiar with the island. If anyone wants more information on this issue just do a search on this forum on Great Bay Beach Pollution. You will find newspaper articles, photos and first hand accounts of the brown sludge seen at this beach.

This is one beach that I have not swam in since 2006 after finding out about the pollution issues at this beach from cc members such as Gary and others who are very familiar with the island. If anyone wants more information on this issue just do a search on this forum on Great Bay Beach Pollution. You will find newspaper articles, photos and first hand accounts of the brown sludge seen at this beach.

Odd.....we were there in 2010 and it was beautiful. No pollution at all. Is it just certain times of the year or something??

Odd.....we were there in 2010 and it was beautiful. No pollution at all. Is it just certain times of the year or something??

Well I did see the sludgy brown water for myself after a few days of rain. Water can be polluted and look fine as well. There is plenty of info on this board about great bay and the pollution issue if you are interested in learning more about it. Gary just posted an update on the Geat Bay Polluion What's it like Now thread.

Archived