Historic Juneau Gold Mine Tour? Anybody??

hoalahapa

Hi there,

I wanted to know if anyone has done this tour! My hubby was asking about it! Is it worth it??

Historic Juneau Gold Mine Tour

Relive Juneau’s mining heritage on a unique tour of what was once the world’s largest gold producing mill. Hear the story of this great mine that was the heartbeat of Juneau.

Constructed in 1913, the Alaska Gastineau Mill was a revolutionary plant that introduced new

technologies to the mining industry. Following a short ride to the site of the mill ruins, your driver

sets the stage as you make your way through the rain forest and up Mount Roberts. At a display of old equipment, your guide explains the different mining methods and you marvel at the view of Gastineau Channel far below.

Venture underground into the conveyer tunnel through which crushed ore was transported to the mill. Don hard hats and proceed along a boardwalk into the 360-foot long tunnel. Inside, experienced miners demonstrate hard rock mining techniques and give you a feel for the mining lifestyle.

Return to the mill site, where after a brief demonstration, you can pan for gold from the tailings of the mine. Pay dirt is guaranteed and you keep what you find. Wander among displays, the ruins and the

gift shop. Your driver brings you up to date on the mining industry’s current role in Juneau as you return to town.

Thanks so much for your help in advance!:)

Pam

Cathy and I went on this excursion last September. The quality varied dramatically depending on the guide doing each section, but overall it was dreadful. The bus driver was good, the underground guide was excellent, but the two girls doing the above-ground talks were sooooo bad! "Princess Parrots" taken to the extreme. And the gold-panning was embarrassing - a soup-bowl sized pan (I'm willing to ignore the fact that you can't pan the tailings from a hard-rock gold mine - it's different than placer gold gravel). Would I recommend it? - absolutely not. There's another historic mine tour a couple of miles away, run by a museum association, for a fraction of the cost - we'll be trying that at the end of May.

Murray

Hi Murry,

Thanks for your advise! Which one is the one that you will be going on??

Can we reserve now or can we just catch a cab or such to it when we hit Juneau?

My hubby thought that it might be fun.:)

Thanks

Pam

Archived