NCL Rome/Florence on your own Shore ex

Hi all, apologies if this has been addressed before but I'm getting conflicting answers on the Ports info page!

My question is for any returnees from The Epic, Western Med cruise regarding NCL's shore excursions, Rome on your own and Florence on your own.

Where are the drop-off points for both tours?

Thanks in advance for any answers :)

For Florence I am pretty sure it is the following coordinates. Paste them to maps.google.com to see the area:

When arriving the drop off place is somewhere near there as well I think. But it is not important as you will meet at the piazza sante croce. The guide will walk with you there when arriving to show you exactly the shop where you will have to be on time later. Then you will walk all together to the bus pick-off point.

So just remember the shop at piazza sante croce. The place where the bus is stopping should not concern you.

Thanks for that.....will Google later! :)

Am just trying to get my bearings so I can see what sights are doable in the time we will have!

Thanks again :)

Hi all, apologies if this has been addressed before but I'm getting conflicting answers on the Ports info page!

My question is for any returnees from The Epic, Western Med cruise regarding NCL's shore excursions, Rome on your own and Florence on your own.

Where are the drop-off points for both tours?

Thanks in advance for any answers :)

They may have gotten more consistent recently, but you may be getting conflicting answers because the tours do not always drop groups off at the same spot. Before I left, I had a note in my shore excursion file that for Rome on your own, various reviews mentioned being dropped off near the Colosseum, the Vatican, or Piazza del Popolo. When we did the tour in 2011, our drop-off/pick-up point was Piazza del Popolo. I read a post here last week that someone touring this summer was dropped off near the Colosseum. Perhaps they've made things more consistent and always stop there now?

When we did Florence/Pisa on your own, our drop-off/pick-up point was the Piazza Santa Maria Novella. Again, not sure if this has changed.

Your best bet may be to plan for the location that you hear most often but understand that you may have to be flexible. I hope this helps!

They may have gotten more consistent recently, but you may be getting conflicting answers because the tours do not always drop groups off at the same spot. Before I left, I had a note in my shore excursion file that for Rome on your own, various reviews mentioned being dropped off near the Colosseum, the Vatican, or Piazza del Popolo. When we did the tour in 2011, our drop-off/pick-up point was Piazza del Popolo. I read a post here last week that someone touring this summer was dropped off near the Colosseum. Perhaps they've made things more consistent and always stop there now?

When we did Florence/Pisa on your own, our drop-off/pick-up point was the Piazza Santa Maria Novella. Again, not sure if this has changed.

Your best bet may be to plan for the location that you hear most often but understand that you may have to be flexible. I hope this helps!

Thanks for that :)

We're hoping the drop-off is the Colosseum as that is where we are headed.......seeing as The Vatican and Sistine chapel are CLOSED the day we are there!!:eek:

But as you say, we shall plan on being flexible and will check out metro and bus timetables and I'm sure we will be fine!! After all, don't they say * when in Rome...... * .;)

For Rome on your own, you can just take the train into town.

Thanks garycarla, we HAVE looked at that option but my hubby says .........and I quote.......* I just want to get off the ship and jump onto an air-conditioned coach without any worries *........maybe NEXT time!!!;)

Thanks garycarla, we HAVE looked at that option but my hubby says .........and I quote.......* I just want to get off the ship and jump onto an air-conditioned coach without any worries *........maybe NEXT time!!!;)

I hear you. And, it might be the better option for many. We just hate being herded onto a bus, and then just sitting there. But, to each their own.

I hear you. And, it might be the better option for many. We just hate being herded onto a bus, and then just sitting there. But, to each their own.

Oh believe me, my hubby is JUST the same about being herded onto a bus........he'll complain the WHOLE time......this I KNOW!!!!!! But I shall be a good wife........and say nothing.....after all.........we're on holiday!!!!!! :D

I thought the same before doing a "... on your own" transport only shore excursion this time to florence. I used the train on my own for rome instead.

To be honest, if it would not be about the hefty price i would use it much more. Taking a local train to rome, probably same with all other european destinations, is nothing to be excited about. It is not extremely comfortable, sometimes hard to find a seat and you need to be cautious and aware all the time. On the bus I could use the time to have a quick nap.

Just important to remember that when you arrive in the city and they show you the meeting point, probably a shop, they will give you some product manufactering show you don't need to join them. I did not even step into the shop once knowing where to be at what time later in the day. So really not much herding.

Thanks for the info......much appreciated! :)

I agree.....the price is hefty....but I guess convenience AND piece of mind come with a price! ;)

Get off the ship as early as possible and take the train. It's12 Euros for a return ticket which gives you free publictransportation for the day. You can take the Hop On - Hop Off Bus around the city and see everything, especially if you can't get into the vatican on the day of your trip. The bus is around 16 Euros.

Get off the ship as early as possible and take the train. It's12 Euros for a return ticket which gives you free publictransportation for the day. You can take the Hop On - Hop Off Bus around the city and see everything, especially if you can't get into the vatican on the day of your trip. The bus is around 16 Euros.

Thank-you for the information........will certainly look into the Hop On-Hop Off Bus :)

We've bitten the bullet now and gone ahead and booked NCL transport.........I know, I know......could have saved a packet, but hey!! :o

Archived