Debating staying an extra night in Denali . . .

TravelRookie

Thought I had my trip booked yesterday, but apparently there was a miscommunication between my TA and Princess so that my booking was canceled! :mad: TA is getting it fixed for me. Sheesh.:rolleyes:

In any case, DH and I are debating spending an extra night in Denali in order to do some "on our own" exploring like hiking some trails. We would disembarq in Anchorage (Whittier) on June 3, get to Denali in the afternoon, and instead of heading back to Anchorage on June 5th, only head back on June 6th. Then we can either relax the day after arriving from the train ride and do a trail or so around the part (or hotel) before cramming ourselves in the tour bus for the Eielson Visitor Center ride into the park. Or do the tour the day after we arrive, and then the following one relax around the resort. Whichever.

Have been looking at some past posts about the trails available in Denali. DH is a photographer (has the professional cameras but shoots for his own pleasure) and is keen on exploring around and taking some nature shots.

I know the wildlife aspects aren't guaranteed in anything we do, but just wondering if we'd feel like we got enough during the tour ride inside the park, or if some of the hikes are really worth taking the time to do.

In any case, DH and I are debating spending an extra night in Denali in order to do some "on our own" exploring like hiking some trails. We would disembarq in Anchorage (Whittier) on June 3, get to Denali in the afternoon, and instead of heading back to Anchorage on June 5th, only head back on June 6th. Then we can either relax the day after arriving from the train ride and do a trail or so around the part (or hotel) before cramming ourselves in the tour bus for the Eielson Visitor Center ride into the park. Or do the tour the day after we arrive, and then the following one relax around the resort. Whichever.

Have been looking at some past posts about the trails available in Denali. DH is a photographer (has the professional cameras but shoots for his own pleasure) and is keen on exploring around and taking some nature shots.

I know the wildlife aspects aren't guaranteed in anything we do, but just wondering if we'd feel like we got enough during the tour ride inside the park, or if some of the hikes are really worth taking the time to do.

There are very few established trails in Denali, for the most part people enjoy striking out on their own. Off trail hiking is the advantage of taking a Shuttle bus over the Tour bus. There are 3-4 trails near the entrance, another at Savage River at Mile 15, and one above the Eielson Visitor Center.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/dayhiking.htm

or if you want a ranger led hike look at http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/ranger-programs.htm

There is also a lot of information in the Park Newspaper, the Alpenglow:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/newspaper.htm

With your husband' interest in photography an extra day at Denali would be very worthwhile. Take the bus both days; take a Discovery Hike one day then book to Toklat the 2nd day and go off-trail when you're feeling brave :). The shuttle is only $35 to Eielson. Or take the free bus to Savage River on the 2nd day and hike. In early June it won't have 'greened up' yet, but the bonus will be the baby wildlife. Watch for moose around the woods at the entrance to the park and campground.

With your husband's interest in photography I'm surprised you aren't renting a car so you can visit a few other places on the way to/from Denali, or drive the first 15 miles of the park road which are accessible to private vehicles, or stop in Talkeetna for flightseeing.

p.s. Visit the Denali forum of tripadvisor.com. Under Top Questions you'll find suggestions about hikes.

The extra time in Denali is well worth the planning. Especially if you are taking the train. With the train, you really only have one day for anything extensive, which a lot of Denali requires- with access and hiking. The short times of the travel days, are very limiting. Time is better spent with a car, if you do not want to add the day.

But I always recommend going for as long as you can afford. Well worth it in Alaska.

The extra time in Denali is well worth the planning. Especially if you are taking the train. With the train, you really only have one day for anything extensive, which a lot of Denali requires- with access and hiking. The short times of the travel days, are very limiting. Time is better spent with a car, if you do not want to add the day.

But I always recommend going for as long as you can afford. Well worth it in Alaska.

Totally agree. Denali is my favorite place in Alaska. Unsurpassed for scenery, photo expeditions, and wildlife. One day is never enough time in Denali. I usually rent a car, stay at a local B & B, and plan several days in the park.

With your husband's interest in photography I'm surprised you aren't renting a car so you can visit a few other places on the way to/from Denali, or drive the first 15 miles of the park road which are accessible to private vehicles, or stop in Talkeetna for flightseeing.

Lol, you'd think huh? I double checked with him just to make sure and he actually surprised me saying that this trip, he's all for kicking back and doing nothing (which is soooo not like him AT ALL!). You think you know someone . . . .:D

He's actually very keen on doing the train from Anchorage to Denali so that's why we're not going with the car rental thing.

You said it yourself - wildlife aspects are not guaranteed. That is why I strongly suggest booking two days of shuttle bus to Eielson.

With your husband' interest in photography an extra day at Denali would be very worthwhile. Take the bus both days; take a Discovery Hike one day then book to Toklat the 2nd day and go off-trail when you're feeling brave

I am not so sure I would book the shuttle only to Toklat. I would book it to Eielson then decide the day of how far you want to go. Also, I am not sure the Disco Hikes start on June 1st (double check). Note that with the group of 11, photography won't be a priority; hiking will. So that might be a bit limiting.

Totally agree. Denali is my favorite place in Alaska. Unsurpassed for scenery, photo expeditions, and wildlife. One day is never enough time in Denali. I usually rent a car, stay at a local B & B, and plan several days in the park.

+1000.

Archived