15 sleeps to go....

days2do

With only 15 sleeps to go, I'm getting increasingly excited about our trip on the QM2. I'm still having to convince DW that it won't be like the Sea Link ferries we used to cross the North Sea when we lived in Germany in the 70's and there will not be a car & lorry deck, cattle in the hold or a good whiff of marine diesel in the air. I'm just concerned that I won't be able to keep myself in check and will try and do everything in the 1st 24 hours. Does anyone have a routine that spreads the things out over the whole voyage??

With only 15 sleeps to go, I'm getting increasingly excited about our trip on the QM2. I'm still having to convince DW that it won't be like the Sea Link ferries we used to cross the North Sea when we lived in Germany in the 70's and there will not be a car & lorry deck, cattle in the hold or a good whiff of marine diesel in the air. I'm just concerned that I won't be able to keep myself in check and will try and do everything in the 1st 24 hours. Does anyone have a routine that spreads the things out over the whole voyage??

Have a WONDERFUL time :) . You'll be hooked I'm sure and, like many of us, will book again (what would life be like without a countdown clock ticking down the days till the next sailing, or crossing off the days in a diary? I've no idea!).

As for doing everything in one day... trust me, you won't be able to do everything in one voyage :D .

Very best wishes, and a HUGE Bon Voyage!

Of course there are cattle in the hold - and if you are in steerage, as well as taking your shift on the oars, part of your duties will involve mucking out the byre! :D:D

Where did you live in Germany in the 70s? I was in Osnabruck myself and have done loads of travelling on the old Sea Link and North Sea Ferries.

J

I have 82 sleeps to go! As to Pepperrn's comments. I'm not sure which one of us shows more enthusiasm but we both LOVE the QM2. My first trip was a crossing in 2005. I'm sure I saw only half of the ship. The next trip was 24 days in 2006 and then I finally saw everything and could confidently find everything.

Enjoy!

Linda

Where did you live in Germany in the 70s? I was in Osnabruck myself and have done loads of travelling on the old Sea Link and North Sea Ferries.
I was at Gutersloh in a blue uniform, I sort of remember Osnatraz!! We used Townsend Thoreson, NSF, Sally Line in fact anything to save the odd DM. It normally meant travelling at 'oh my god an hour'. No wonder DW has nightmares about going on a ferry, no matter how big it looks!! :)

I was at Gutersloh in a blue uniform, I sort of remember Osnatraz!! We used Townsend Thoreson, NSF, Sally Line in fact anything to save the odd DM. It normally meant travelling at 'oh my god an hour'. No wonder DW has nightmares about going on a ferry, no matter how big it looks!! :)

My hubby was at Laarbruch in a blue uniform too.!! We also did quite a lot of ferry trips.....trust me Cunard is absolutely nothing like it.!! :D

My hubby was at Laarbruch in a blue uniform too.!! We also did quite a lot of ferry trips.....trust me Cunard is absolutely nothing like it.!! :D

Ah Laarparts, we were there in the late 80's early 90's. The joys of Weeze and the Little City. DW still isn't convinced but I'm sure it will all be fine or next time I'll be paying a surcharge for single occupancy.

Ah Crab Air - respect! Well, we may not have actually met but we must have passed pretty damn close on occasions. I flew into and out of Gutersloh on many a trooping flight.

Actually, the North Sea Ferries from Rotterdam to Hull were pretty good in those days. I vaguely recall that the evening meal was included in the fare and that it was a big kind of eat as much as you like buffet affair of pretty good quality. The rest of the experience sucked though!

Have a fantastic time on your cruise - I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. Oh, and don't worry about the marine deisel either - Cunard are the ultimate traditionalists and all the ships are coal fired. The only downside though is that you will be expected to assist with coaling ship at least once during the cruise :D:D

J

Archived