Connecting Staterooms?

Terpnut

We're a family of four that regularly does large-ship cruising in two connecting staterooms. The adults like the flexibility of having our privacy while still being able to check on the kids. And as compared to a suite, we get more overall space and two bathrooms for less money.

We recently did a Yangtze River cruise aboard Century Diamond, enjoyed river cruising in general and are now interested in doing the same in Europe in 2013--perhaps the Rhine, Rhone or Danube. The Diamond however did not offer connecting staterooms and it was quite inconvenient for us to be split up across the hall from each other. I did a quick review today of some of Viking's and AMA's ships and couldn't see any ships, even the newer and larger ones, with connecting staterooms. Are we out of luck? Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, I think you are. I do not know of any Viking ships that have connecting rooms. Is across the hall or next door really that bad?

Cheers,

It's not a deal-breaker but it was inconvenient and less-than-ideal for us. My kids were constantly slamming doors and running back and forth across the hall (annoying not just for us but probably for all our neighbors too!). And my wife and I couldn't spend any time together at all. We are precisely why many cruise ships and hotels offer connecting rooms! I can only assume that the lack of connecting staterooms means that river cruising isn't targeted to families with children, but rather to adult couples only. :)

It is my experience that river cruising attracts primarily adults. Because the ships in Europe must be narrow to fit through locks the cabins tend to be small and I not aware of any connecting rooms. As the poster said above many lines have age restrictions. There is not much to do on the ships for children and the ports are the main attraction.

Uniworld does family oriented cruises in the summer. Croisie Europe also does them, but has limited cruises geared toward English speaking guests. Cured my children of slamming doors by making them close them quietly 10 times each time they were caught slamming a door. As stated above these are small boats in Europe--pax range 70 to 200 capicity--one seating for each meal and no childrens menu. Safety wise the boats are not geared towards children. If they need a lot to do on the boat, you will have to bring the entertainment.. So your assessment that river cruising in Europe is not for families, in general, is true. Pat

Most of Grand Circle's ships have small balconies with sliders on the upper decks and, at least on some of them, have hinged dividers between each cabin's balcony, so it would be possible to pass from cabin to cabin between them. I have never seen traditional connecting cabins on any of their ships.

Grand Circle's target audience is older adults. I'm not sure what their age policy is, but the youngest that I remember was a girl turning 14. There are no children's activities on the ships, but river cruising would be a great way to see Europe for them with no long auto or bus rides and one cabin to call home for the duration of the trip.

Also consider the Seine. We have cruised the Nile, Yangtze, Volga, Svir, Rhine Danube, Main and Seine with them, the most recent being the Seine, this past spring. I did a blog on the Seine cruise. The youngest on that cruise was a boy of 16. The blog is http://jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com.

I can only assume that the lack of connecting staterooms means that river cruising isn't targeted to families with children, but rather to adult couples only. :)

You are correct. On our 5 river cruises we have only once seen kids and there were two of them, making the trip from Australia.

Uniworld offers some family friendly sailings so you may want to check them out. I think that most kids and teens would be bored to death on a river cruise as there is nothing for them to do when the boat is cruising.

Quote: "I think that most kids and teens would be bored to death on a river cruise as there is nothing for them to do when the boat is cruising."

I can't think of anything more boring for kids or adults than a long road trip, whether it be by auto or bus. Not to mention packing and unpacking every time you change cities. On a ship, you can get up and move around. All ships have TVs and most have internet access, sometimes intermittent, but still better than bus or car. There are generally old fashioned board games available in the library with plenty of lounge space to play them in comfortable chairs, and, on more scenic stretches of the rivers, a running commentary.

I'm not aware of any connecting cabins on Avalon either. As mentioned, some companies have policies restricting the age of children. I do think this may be lowered some in the summers. You'll have to do a lot of research. The major river lines geared towards English speaking passengers are: Viking, Avalon, Uniworld, Scenic, Vantage, Tauck, AMA.

Quote: "I think that most kids and teens would be bored to death on a river cruise as there is nothing for them to do when the boat is cruising."

I can't think of anything more boring for kids or adults than a long road trip, whether it be by auto or bus. Not to mention packing and unpacking every time you change cities. On a ship, you can get up and move around. All ships have TVs and most have internet access, sometimes intermittent, but still better than bus or car. There are generally old fashioned board games available in the library with plenty of lounge space to play them in comfortable chairs, and, on more scenic stretches of the rivers, a running commentary.

The OP stated they were used to large ship ocean cruising. This is apple and oranges from river cruising.

I know that as a child or teen I personally would have been bored to death sitting around on a river cruise with only board games and TV or lectures as entertainment. For other kids and teens, this may be more than adequate to keep them entertained.

IMO the best way to see Europe with kids is on a train trip. Much better than a car or bus which is confining and boring. I have been traveling to Europe since I was 16 and found those trips to be exciting, interesting and fun.

Thanks for all the comments!

I checked with Viking and their minimum age is 8 years of age, and my kids will be 12 and 14 YO. As for river cruises, we're fully aware of what it entails as we just got off of one in China and the kids enjoyed it. They don't need rock-climbing, ice rinks, a pool or a kids program.

So the lack of connecting staterooms or four-person suites seems to be the only real impediment for us.

The new Viking "long ships" have a Veranda Suite at 275 sq. ft., with separate bedroom, and an Explorer Suite at 445 sq. ft. There is a couch in both that may turn into a bed, although it is not mentioned. You might ask Viking about that.

Cheers,

Archived