Packing Cubes

I've tried packing with and without them, and I can get more in my suitcase without -- which is my overriding consideration when packing! :D

I've been packing directly into my suitcase for so long, I think I've got it down to a science. No cubes, dry cleaning bags, or hangers.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Shak! I could tell it was Eagle Creek, but when I looked at their brands I could not find one with the pockets in the inside that looked like yours (I love the compartments and pockets).

The nice thing about Eagle Creek luggage is that was designed with packing with their Pack It System. They no longer make the Velocity series but there are others if you need a nice bag. When I was looking for luggage it was a toss up between the Velocity and Tarmac. Eagle Creek kept the Tarmac line and I believe you can still buy that line. I think you'll find it similar on the inside. There is a video on Ebag.com you may find helpful for the Tarmac.

http://www.ebags.com/product/eagle-creek/tarmac-22-22-rolling-upright/209712?productid=10124284&sourceid=ADWPRODUCT&couponid=79248966&adtype=pla&gclid=CObxw5yP27ECFUTrKgodjBUAEA

Shak

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the small packing cubes from eBags. We leave Friday for Hawaii and i was able to pack everything a 10 day trip in one carryon bag...with room to spare.

I was able to put 4 tshirts and 5 tank tops in one small cube. I love how neat and organized my bag looks. I'm going to upgrade my luggage for our next trip and order a set of the medium packing cubes for larger items.

Has anyone seen or had experience with the Flight001 SpacePak cubes?

http://www.flight001.com/all-products/spacepak-1.html

I just discovered them recently and am pretty tempted to buy them (I hate buying things like that sight-unseen and without reviews though). I love the fact that they have one side for clean clothes and another side for laundry. So convenient. I am just not sure if I could really fit as much as they say you can in there. Be careful if you visit the site to look at them though; there are too many "I never knew I needed this but now I must have it" items there to count ;)

Has anyone seen or had experience with the Flight001 SpacePak cubes?

http://www.flight001.com/all-products/spacepak-1.html

I just discovered them recently and am pretty tempted to buy them (I hate buying things like that sight-unseen and without reviews though). I love the fact that they have one side for clean clothes and another side for laundry. So convenient. I am just not sure if I could really fit as much as they say you can in there. Be careful if you visit the site to look at them though; there are too many "I never knew I needed this but now I must have it" items there to count ;)

13032_8_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=60&wid=60&align=0,1

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-3pc-set/13032?productid=10150075

I like these and they are WAY cheaper!!! $23 for 3 sizes, vs $42 for one size. I'm sure the ones you posted are of higher quality, but these ebag cubes have lasted me for more than 12 years and have gone around the world! :)

Edited by 5326jan

Bethwte, the prices do seem high for the spacepac items. The Eagle Creek 2 sided version, although 2 inches shorter and narrower, is half the price. I've never seen any of the pieces so I cannot tell if it is better quality but I've had Eagle Creek products for years now.

Here are some of the Eagle Creek items:http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-cubes/l/212

Eagle Creek makes great luggage, too! It's my go-to brand to show if people want to see soft sided, lightweight luggage.

Thank you to both. I don't see a 2-sided feature on the e-bags? Am I just missing it?

I did look at the eagle creek version, and am considering them (and will definitely be picking up a folder from them), but I have a question. Does the 2-sided version always stay separate (this is a bit hard to explain via text, so forgive me). For instance, can you put all clean clothes in a clean side at the beginning of the trip, move them to dirty side as trip goes, and then end up with all in the dirty side? That is the main feature I like about those posted above, but the price is steep. If the quality is high, I don't mind paying, as I don't expect to have to replace them any time soon, but if a cheaper version works just as well - even better.

Also, if I may pick your brain a tiny bit about luggage Happy_KS (feel free to send me a private message as not to derail thread) - what do you think of the new Briggs and Riley CX bags? Worth it? I have old B&R that I still love, but am thinking of picking up another size.

Thank you to both. I don't see a 2-sided feature on the e-bags? Am I just missing it?

I did look at the eagle creek version, and am considering them (and will definitely be picking up a folder from them), but I have a question. Does the 2-sided version always stay separate (this is a bit hard to explain via text, so forgive me). For instance, can you put all clean clothes in a clean side at the beginning of the trip, move them to dirty side as trip goes, and then end up with all in the dirty side? That is the main feature I like about those posted above, but the price is steep. If the quality is high, I don't mind paying, as I don't expect to have to replace them any time soon, but if a cheaper version works just as well - even better.

Also, if I may pick your brain a tiny bit about luggage Happy_KS (feel free to send me a private message as not to derail thread) - what do you think of the new Briggs and Riley CX bags? Worth it? I have old B&R that I still love, but am thinking of picking up another size.

No, the ebag cubes don't have two sides, but the eagle creek cubes that have double sides, don't have a plastic separator. The smell of dirty clothes would permeate through the nylon liner and into the clean clothes. On the two sided eagle creek that I have seen, the bottom doesn't "float", it is sewn in the center. You would be limited to the size of the compartment's ability to be over stuffed into the empty half. It's hard to explain without the visuals. :o

217146_2_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280&align=0,1 This Travelon is a 2 sided cube with mesh in between layers. http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/2-sided-packing-cube-small/217146?productid=10141521

We usually bring home dirty laundry in a plastic bag. But the ebag and eagle creek cubes wash well on delicate cycle. :)

Edited by 5326jan

I got a set of brand new Rick Steeves packing cubes on ebay (3 for around $30) - have yet to use them - but doing a 15 day transatlantic soon with a couple of days pre-cruise - so I am thinking it might be a good idea to put my pre-cruise stuff in a cube (and on top of course) to avoid having to dig thru my suitcase to find anything - the trick will of course be trying to stay as organized as possible and anticipating what I might need before I board the ship!

I got a set of brand new Rick Steeves packing cubes on ebay (3 for around $30) - have yet to use them - but doing a 15 day transatlantic soon with a couple of days pre-cruise - so I am thinking it might be a good idea to put my pre-cruise stuff in a cube (and on top of course) to avoid having to dig thru my suitcase to find anything - the trick will of course be trying to stay as organized as possible and anticipating what I might need before I board the ship!

Great idea - you will thank yourself. I did the same with a Europe cruise preceded by 3 days in Paris. All of the Paris stuff was separate. My family was so jealous when they saw how easy it was for me to get to my stuff while they were digging around.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely love my packing cubes from eBags. Have several sets in different sizes. I travel to run marathons so love them to organize running stuff, race food, electronics, clothes, etc. For cruising, organize casual, dressy, accesories, etc. Use small one in carry on for snacks and other small items that get lost in your tote bag. DH was able to fit his two suits into his largest one. Use two in my gym bag. One for toiletries and one for damp dirty clothes.

They sort of compress, but mainly like the organization and keeps things from wrinkling and shifting. Also if TSA has to open your bag hopefully keeps them from rifling through everything.

I love packing cubes. I pack for the entire family, so it's easy to separate everyone's clothes, but share suitcase space. I have them in different colours so it's easily identifiable as to which one contains which person's clothes. Plus they can go straight into the drawers, if it's stuff that doesn't need to be hung up, like underwear, sleep wear, swim wear, t-shirts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I just found E Bags packing cubes, discontinued patterns for a great deal off another website. I was not sure if I would buy any until then. 40% off got my attention. :D

What website? I need to expand my collection. :)

Sent from my KFJWA using Forums mobile app

I'm always looking to make packing easier and am considering buying some from ebags. My question is how are these best used during the cruise? Do you leave some clothing rolled inside the cubes for the duration and place the cubes in a drawer or on a shelf? Thinking it would work well for DS's clothes.

I got some and planning to use them for everything that I need pre and post cruise. I always end up digging through my suitcase for a pair of shoes or something before embarkation. Then I end up having to repack last minute. If I put all my clothes, pjs, shoes and toiletries that I'm going to need through embarkation in them, I can just pull them out and put them back. Same with heading home since we're staying an extra night after the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk