Embassy Suits on Julia St.

csquared

No personal experience, but a friend of ours stayed there recently. She said the only problem was that they had asked for and had told they were given a non-smoking room. Apparently, the previous guests didn't take that to heart and must have been smoking in the room and the room really smelled of cigarette smoke. My friend said it was bad enough that they asked to be moved and of course the hotel was completely booked. She said for 1 night it probably would have been alright if the price were right, but they were there for 4 nights for a conference.

Evening happy hour was nice and breakfast was great. Location was good also.

Trish

It is among the closest hotels, if not the closest, to the cruiseships. The real question is how far can you walk with your luggage? The hotel is about 21 years old.

Across the street is one of the Marriott Courtyards. Rio Mar restaurant is kitty corner. Emeril's restaurant is a block away. Mulate's is a block away.

Depending on which ship, I'd guess it is about 4-6 blocks from the ships.

Some other pictures can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=149066

CnASVpOWWozEHU4Ok6n2jgexh9ObZMhl0300.jpg

Sensation....4-6 blocks is fine.....

I was just concerned that you could not go staight down Julia to get on ships...

Directions have is it Henderson Ave??

.It might take 40 minutesif we can go straight down Julia with luggage........but I think we can do up to 6 blocks..

I loved the pics thanks for posting...

Pedestrians don't have to use Henderson St.

You'll walk right down Julie Street, past Mulate's. under Riverwalk mall, cross streetcar tracks, ignore traffic cop directing traffic. Turn right. You will be walking upstream against the cruise traffic, but no big deal.

We stayed at the embassy suites back in January and loved it. It is just 3 short blocks to the Riverwalk Mall and the pier. We had such a great time early that morning going to the mall and watching the ship unload. We also had a balcony facing the street and could see the ships docked. We had 14 people in our party and we rolled our luggage. We took 2 groups and then a couple went back to help my elderly parents with their luggage. It took about 10 to 15 minutes for each trip.

We saw other people also doing this, and it isn't that hard to do. Just go up to the railroad tracks and turn right stay as close to the building as possible so you don't get in the way of the one way traffic going the opposite direction. We arrived just a little after 11:00 am, and there was no line at all.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in March. We rolled/carried our luggage to the port. It was a little tiring but definitely do-able. Much better than taking a cab. The hotel was fine. It seems older and we had to walk through a maze of hallways to get to our room. But it was clean, in a great location, and the breakfast was good. Overall I would recommend it.

Archived