confused about consent letter

I've been trying to work out if I actually need my ex-husband to write a consent letter to allow me to take our daughter away this summer. We travelled on the IOS last year without one but I don't want to be caught short this year in case it's really necesssary.

Basically we're doing a cruise that starts and ends here in the UK, where we live. I have a Netherlands passport, my daughter has a UK passport. We are only travelling within Europe and I've never needed any kind of consent from my ex when we've travelled in Europe previously, but if this is a requirement of RCCL then of course we'll get it. We will both be carrying out passports and my passport carries my maiden name as the primary name but my (ex)married name is listed underneath (as is the custom in the Netherlands). My daughter has her father's last name. I'm just confused about this whole consent issue with the context of the EU. Can anyone help?

As long as it is not an issue to get one from him, it can't hurt to have the consent letter (allong with all of the ID indicated) just to be certain you have it in case it is needed. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

But in this case - with all the variables you identified and the confusion you've expressed - I would suggest contacting RCI directly and discussing it with them. This may be the best way to assure yourself of having what you need.

First off, I assume your daughter is younger than 18. If she is 18 or older, you will not need the letter as she is considered an adult at that age. RCI does require the letter, at least here in the states. They do not always ask for it but it is required. If it is not a problem getting it from your ex-husband, I would get it. It is always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Thanks. My daughter is 11, the reason for the confusion is that within the European Union it is not a requirement, the laws over here are very different to those in the US and Canada and you don't need permission to take a minor out of the country over here, but I dont know if this is a RCCL requirement that is separate to the legal one. I've travelled to various places within Europe by air and by car with my daughter and it's never been an issue, we always have passports and that's enough over here.

Thanks. My daughter is 11, the reason for the confusion is that within the European Union it is not a requirement, the laws over here are very different to those in the US and Canada and you don't need permission to take a minor out of the country over here, but I dont know if this is a RCCL requirement that is separate to the legal one. I've travelled to various places within Europe by air and by car with my daughter and it's never been an issue, we always have passports and that's enough over here.

....which is why I suggested a converstion with RCI as they seem to be the conern with whether or not it is required. But as indcated before and by others. better safe than sorry.

I spoke to my TA, she said as far as she knows it's only a requirement over here for non-parents travelling with minors (eg. grandparents) but she's going to double check for me. I thought maybe someone here had a definitive answer (since there seem to be answers for everything else lol), but when I hear back I'll post what she says for future info.

Instead of asking your question here, where whatever we recommend really doesn't matter, you should be directing your question to RCI which will be the party deciding whether or not they will require a letter. However, as others have already mentioned, if getting such a letter isn't a problem and since it isn't a great burden to do so, why do you seem hesitant to just get one in the event that, when you arrive at the ship, they ask for it?

I'm hesitant because my relationship with my ex husband isn't the easiest, and while he wouldn't stop me taking our daughter away, he would likely make a huge deal over him "doing me a favour" by providing me with the letter and it probably costing him money to get notarised. If I don't really need to have it I'd rather do without the hassle.

I'm hesitant because my relationship with my ex husband isn't the easiest, and while he wouldn't stop me taking our daughter away, he would likely make a huge deal over him "doing me a favour" by providing me with the letter and it probably costing him money to get notarised. If I don't really need to have it I'd rather do without the hassle.

Again, you should be directing your question to RCI where someone can give you a definitive answer. Any answer or answers you get here are relatively worthless.

Since the rules in the EU are different than here in the states, it looks like you probably won't need it. As others have mentioned, your best bet is to call RCI and ask them. After you get an answer from them, call back and speak to someone else, you'll probably get a different answer. That seems to be the way things work at the main office. This is just another reason why it would be best to have it with you just in case.

Sorry to hear it might be a hassle to get it from your ex. Maybe you should present it to him this way. This letter is not about you, it's about his daughter. It would be doing a favor for HIS DAUGHTER, not you. You will definitely be able to get on the ship. It's your (and his) daughter that might be stranded at the pier. If he cares about his daughter and wants her to have a good time, then he should do this FOR HER so she won't have any issues. I realize you wouldn't get on the ship without her.

My TA has come back to me. The official word that she was given is that I don't need a letter since I'll be travelling within Europe and we have the same last name on our passports (even if mine is in smaller letters underneath). She said that if I'm at all concerned I could bring a photocopy of my daughter's birth certificate (but it's not necessary), I definitely dont need the consent letter from my ex. Those are only required if the adults travelling are not the parents of the child.

Archived