Millenium dance venues

jerrymanos

We are cruising on the Millenium through the Panama Canal on September 22, 2012. Both my wife and I love to dance. Can anyone tell me about the size of the dance floors and the available live music on that cruise? Also, we were wondering if Celebrity provides dance hosts for that cruise. Any information on dancing on this ship is appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

While we love the S class ships, one of the reasons we also love the M class is the

Rondevous Lounge, which is not on the S class, and dancing to a live band, and singer, before and after dinner. There is also dancing at the Sky Lounge, at the very top of the ship, but that often is a DJ.

Enjoy!

We sailed on the Millie this past April and enjoyed the live music each night in the Rendezvous Lounge. There was 2 hours of live music an hour before the early seating, and also later that evening. The Sky Lounge was DJ only.

The dance floor is not enormous, but we danced there each evening and never felt crowded.

I did not notice any dance hosts as there was a group of four women who danced with each other each evening. This was a 4 day cruise, so that may be different on a longer trip.

We sailed on the Millie this past April and enjoyed the live music each night in the Rendezvous Lounge. There was 2 hours of live music an hour before the early seating, and also later that evening. The Sky Lounge was DJ only.

The dance floor is not enormous, but we danced there each evening and never felt crowded.

I did not notice any dance hosts as there was a group of four women who danced with each other each evening. This was a 4 day cruise, so that may be different on a longer trip.

Sky Lounge was DJ only. Not correct we were just on in May on the Panama Canal cruise and there were numerous nights in the Sky Lounge with live music.

Sky Lounge was DJ only. Not correct we were just on in May on the Panama Canal cruise and there were numerous nights in the Sky Lounge with live music.

For our 4 night cruise in April, there was no live music in the

Sky Lounge with the exception of a performance by the acapella group. Longer cruises may very well have different entertainment options, but the above information was correct for our cruise.

Just off the July 13 sailing on the Millennium. Rendezvous was the place for dancing.

They played earlier in the evening, 5:30 to 6:30 and then started up again at 7:45 to 8:45 and then once more at 9:45 and went from then on. We made a point of dancing every evening and it was the most enjoyable thing about the cruise for us.

The floor was good, and large enough for the size crowd they drew. There were often only 2 to 4 couples on the floor and it was very comfortable. There were ocasional times when it got crowded, but we are happy to reel it in when it gets a bit cheek to cheek.

One other thing to pay attention to is many people were either not very experienced and didn't understand the flow of traffic, or were older and while clearly skilled dancers, no longer as nimble as they once were. Between the random action of the casual dancers and the slow movement of the older couples I did a fair amount of leading from the rear with fast warning squeezes to the Spouses shoulder when obstacles popped up in our line of fire over his shoulder. A couple of times I had to choke my spins because I could see that we were going to be bucking the whole physics issue of two objects, one space ; -)

There were three dance bands that played. Two were anchored by female lead vocalists, one by a man. The two led by women were excellent dance bands and were great fun to dance to. The one lead by the guy sounded good, but did not know how to lay down a steady dance beat and hold to it. The vocal flourishes and retards made dancing to them awkard. Not impossible and we had fun even that night, but dancers who care about things like this will notice the lack.

One of my best memories of the cruise is when the Spouse took our daughter out on the floor for a waltz, which she has just learned this last year. At some point the guy singing spotted them, and me filming from the shadows, and realized what was going on and shifted the tune seamlessly from whatever to "Daddy's Little Girl". Ok, it's schmaltzy and cliche and corny, but it was sweet and charming. Slowly the other dancers figured out he was singing to my two darlings and they shifted to the side of the floor and danced in smaller spaces to give Daddy some room to work with, and he went to town and opened up their stride and started to float her around the floor a bit. The smile on her face was worth gold, and I was a bit soggy by the time they finished with a flourish.

Get a drink from John and say hi for me from the deconstructed cosmo chick ; -)

As far as hosts go there were instructors, I think they were from the troupe of the entertainers, not actual instructors, but I could be mistaken. They gave lessons in the afternoon most days, there in the Rendezvous Lounge.

Sailing on Millie in 2 1/2 weeks for the first time, but have been on Summit 4 times and Connie once. On those sister ships there was a live music dance party in the deck 12 night club almost every night. On Summit it's Revelations. On Connie, not sure what the name is, but live music and dancing went on till after midnight and then the DJ took over. It's probably the same for Millenium. I also see live music and dancing in Rendezvous on my way to the MDR early seating. There is live music at the pool every afternoon and usually dancing.

The most fun on my last two cruises is the "Dancing with the Stripes", patterned after Dancing with the Stars. The Stripes are ships officers, paired with passengers. There is a panel of judges that eliminates for the first 2 rounds and then the sudience applause makes the final decision. It was hilarious! In Feb. on Summit one of the judges was the stand-up comedian, Fred Klett, who had just put us rolling in the aisles at the show. The officers on the panel were funny, but he had us rolling again with his comments. After the contest, dancers from the production company came in and demonstrated "sizzle dancing" to the Latin beat and we all joined in intermingling with them. We had to DRAG ourselves away at midnight due to an early excursion the next day.

Last year on Constellation I roomed with a friend who, at age 79, was declared the "Dancing Queen" by the CD. We went to at least 4 of the late-night sessions and I had to drag her away every time. We would be almost out the door and she would go back for "just one more", lol. Hope I have that much energy in 12 yrs.

Sky Lounge is now called Cosmos Lounge and was one of our favorite place on the ship. Dance lessons were offered there two or three times that week. We tried the Tango but failed miserably.:o

Ok, I'm confused. lol I wanted to see pics of the dance floors so I googled for images of "Celebrity Summit Sky Lounge" and "Celebrity Summit Cosmos Lounge" and came up with nothing. I also checked the deck plans and couldn't find either. Can you tell me where on the ship this is located? And does anyone have pictures so that I can see the dance floor?

Thanks!

Cosmos is on deck 11, forward.

Has sort of a space ship ambiance, the fore side is a huge curved curtain window with chairs and tables. The bar is a large oval with seating on both sides. The dance floor is lower and ringed by banquette seats and tables and chairs. The dance floor is spacious with a typical stage.

The DJ did the karaoke some evenings at 9:45 and cranked on the music for dancing at 11. Earlier there are often one of the dance bands playing, when they aren't down on 4.

Ok, I'm confused. lol I wanted to see pics of the dance floors so I googled for images of "Celebrity Summit Sky Lounge" and "Celebrity Summit Cosmos Lounge" and came up with nothing. I also checked the deck plans and couldn't find either. Can you tell me where on the ship this is located? And does anyone have pictures so that I can see the dance floor?

Thanks!

We loved the Cosmos Lounge. In late afternoon at sail away there were only a few people there. It was so nice to have a glass of wine and watch the ship leaving port. Here are some pictures. I had a difficult time getting good lighting for them.

This is the dance floor.

Alaska2197.jpg

Brie315.jpg

Brie316.jpg

Brie317.jpg

There are two ways to get to Cosmos (that I know of). You can go up to deck 10 and go across the pool deck or you can go all the way forward on deck 9 (a cabin deck) and take the elevator up.

Is that on the Summit? The windows and basic layout look like Revelations. Colors/decor and furniture look VERY different in the daylight! I don't think we ever went in when it was light out. I wouldn't have even known it was Revelations but for the windows and basic layout of the room.

Just off the July 13 sailing on the Millennium. Rendezvous was the place for dancing.

They played earlier in the evening, 5:30 to 6:30 and then started up again at 7:45 to 8:45 and then once more at 9:45 and went from then on. We made a point of dancing every evening and it was the most enjoyable thing about the cruise for us.

The floor was good, and large enough for the size crowd they drew. There were often only 2 to 4 couples on the floor and it was very comfortable. There were ocasional times when it got crowded, but we are happy to reel it in when it gets a bit cheek to cheek.

One other thing to pay attention to is many people were either not very experienced and didn't understand the flow of traffic, or were older and while clearly skilled dancers, no longer as nimble as they once were. Between the random action of the casual dancers and the slow movement of the older couples I did a fair amount of leading from the rear with fast warning squeezes to the Spouses shoulder when obstacles popped up in our line of fire over his shoulder. A couple of times I had to choke my spins because I could see that we were going to be bucking the whole physics issue of two objects, one space ; -)

There were three dance bands that played. Two were anchored by female lead vocalists, one by a man. The two led by women were excellent dance bands and were great fun to dance to. The one lead by the guy sounded good, but did not know how to lay down a steady dance beat and hold to it. The vocal flourishes and retards made dancing to them awkard. Not impossible and we had fun even that night, but dancers who care about things like this will notice the lack.

One of my best memories of the cruise is when the Spouse took our daughter out on the floor for a waltz, which she has just learned this last year. At some point the guy singing spotted them, and me filming from the shadows, and realized what was going on and shifted the tune seamlessly from whatever to "Daddy's Little Girl". Ok, it's schmaltzy and cliche and corny, but it was sweet and charming. Slowly the other dancers figured out he was singing to my two darlings and they shifted to the side of the floor and danced in smaller spaces to give Daddy some room to work with, and he went to town and opened up their stride and started to float her around the floor a bit. The smile on her face was worth gold, and I was a bit soggy by the time they finished with a flourish.

Get a drink from John and say hi for me from the deconstructed cosmo chick ; -)

As far as hosts go there were instructors, I think they were from the troupe of the entertainers, not actual instructors, but I could be mistaken. They gave lessons in the afternoon most days, there in the Rendezvous Lounge.

You are so right, those little squeezes and back leads from my wife are often required in Rendevous for the reasons mentioned. DW is good with them. Just makes the dancing more fun.

Is that on the Summit? The windows and basic layout look like Revelations. Colors/decor and furniture look VERY different in the daylight! I don't think we ever went in when it was light out. I wouldn't have even known it was Revelations but for the windows and basic layout of the room.

That's the Cosmos Lounge on Deck 11 very forward:) on the Millennium. We were there the first week of June to Northbound Alaska.

As several posters have mentioned, the best dancing on Celebrity is on the M class ships. Lots of opportunity in the Rendezvous Lounges on each of the ships, though the floors are small and can quickly get crowded if a few couples don't flow with the LOD.

The S class ships are the pits. Round floors, bad music and limited opportunity to dance unless you want to hop up and down in the same place all night.

RCL has some nice floors on the Radiance Class ships - their Safari Rooms, though many nights they are not used for dancing.

The 3 Cunard Queens have large floors and play several hours of dance music a night, most live, some recorded. They also have gentlemen dance hosts - usually four - every night. Great fun.

Archived