Viking Frances Finest Avignon-Paris 4 Nov 2012

Miz Aris

Anyone travelling on this cruise - the last of the year, leaving Avignon on 4 November?? Would love to make contact.

Also if anyone has done this cruise earlier I'd love to know more.

We've not done river cruising before so any info would be gratefully accepted.:):)

My husband and I will be on the cruise too. We are flying from from Arizona to Paris and spending a few nights there. Then we will take the train to Avignon. This is our third River Cruise and are really looking forward to it. From what I have read it is supposed to be great. Linda and Don

Miz Aris ~ we'll be taking this cruise Oct. 21st to 28th!!!!

But you're SO lucky to have found azmimi on same cruise - so far no one is on ours! Maybe we have the boat to ourselves - I'm sure not!! This is our first River Cruise - I'm looking forward to it but I miss all the chatter and interaction of a larger ship!!!!

If you scroll up a little you'll find a nice review of the cruise by Edgemere who sailed the opposite direction but still has a nice preview of the trip. It's titled: Just Returned Viking Portraits of Southern France.

I'd promise a review of our trip but we're staying a few days in Avignon and then Nice and won't return until Nov. 3rd - probably just as you're leaving!!!

Have a great time making plans!!!

We just did a Rhone river cruise. It was great. While in Avignon, make sure you see Pont du Gard. It is the largest Roman aqueduct in existence and still intact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_du_Gard

We're stying in Uzes for several days and have already planned a drive to see Pont du Gard. And also the Carrefour which is only a few minutes drive from Uzes. We don't have Carrefour in Australia so I'm really interested in seeing this one. I'm a bit of a Francophile so I really can't wait for us to get going on this trip.

We're staying in quite a few different villages and towns in B&B type accommodation so we can talk to the people and discover more about their localities.

My husband and I will be on the cruise too. We are flying from from Arizona to Paris and spending a few nights there. Then we will take the train to Avignon. This is our third River Cruise and are really looking forward to it. From what I have read it is supposed to be great. Linda and Don

Hi Linda and Don. We're Greg and Jane. I saw your first post and replied to it. I couldn't believe it when I saw your posting almost at the same time as mine. Look forward to meeting you.

• 2 months later...

My husband and I are taking the November 4th Viking cruise "Portraits of Southern France," which begins in Avignon and concludes in Chalon, but this may be a different cruise from Viking's "France's Finest." This is our second Viking cruise and we are sooo looking forward to it!

My husband and I are taking the November 4th Viking cruise "Portraits of Southern France," which begins in Avignon and concludes in Chalon, but this may be a different cruise from Viking's "France's Finest." This is our second Viking cruise and we are sooo looking forward to it!

We're on that one too. "France's Finest" is a combination of two shorter trips - this one and another which leaves from Paris and goes out to Normandy then back to Paris. When we leave the boat in Chalon we go by bus to Paris then board a different vessel for the Normandy portion. Can't wait - had the suitcase out already for 1 week loading and culling. We leave for France next week and will spend 2 weeks driving around France from Paris to Avignon where we will pick up the cruise. This is out first river cruise so we're very interested to see how these work for us.

We got our documents yesterday. It all looks so exciting...

Now to try and plan what clothes to Pack..Any idea how cold it will be????

I know from being in France previously that the south will be mild but it will be much cooler/colder as we progress northwards towards Paris. We're in Australia and just coming out of our winter so all my layering clothes are in the case already. Our winters are about the same as Paris in Autumn, perhaps slightly warmer, so my winter clothes plus a good coat should be about right. Fingers crossed. lol.

We are on your cruise! We're so excited and, yes, we received our Viking packet just a few days ago. We've only done one other Viking cruise and we were very pleased so we booked this one. We have been to Paris several times and to Normandy so we are doing the cruise only. We'll look forward to seeing you in Avignon!

Tom and Sherry from Austin, TX

We are on your cruise! We're so excited and, yes, we received our Viking packet just a few days ago. We've only done one other Viking cruise and we were very pleased so we booked this one. We have been to Paris several times and to Normandy so we are doing the cruise only. We'll look forward to seeing you in Avignon!

Tom and Sherry from Austin, TX

Well it's nice to meet you - look forward to doing so in person in a few weeks. We got our packet about a month ago and of course that stirred up some excitement.

Hi,

We are Linda and Don from Surprise,AZ. We are really looking forward to the cruise. Really liked Viking in China and if this is half as good we will love it too.

We are taking the train from Paris to Avigon onthe Nov. 4th and will go to the boat. See you soon.

hi bill and robyn here

we are staying at the crowne plaza 29 oct til 4 nov then tgv (traintime) is 845 hope we ca n meet and enjopy some time before or during

our email is BRMAIL2@AOL.COM

Many days men wore jeans to dinner if they did not have time to change after the day's tour. Generally men wore collared shirts with nice jeans or khakis or other casual slacks. I reviewed our snapshots and saw that everyone seemed to follow the "rule" of evening casual, or basically what you would wear for dinner in a nice restaurant in your hometown.

We are just back from sailing on Viking Pride's Paris and the Heart of Normandy cruise and it was great. Hope to write up a short review in the next couple of days and get pictures out on Shutterfly for sharing. In a nutshell, even though an older of Viking's ships, Pride was in great shape. Outstanding crew, and liked a number of changes Viking has made since our last cruise on them two years ago on the Danube.

We are just back from sailing on Viking Pride's Paris and the Heart of Normandy cruise and it was great. Hope to write up a short review in the next couple of days and get pictures out on Shutterfly for sharing. In a nutshell, even though an older of Viking's ships, Pride was in great shape. Outstanding crew, and liked a number of changes Viking has made since our last cruise on them two years ago on the Danube.

Looking forward to your review and pics.

Miz

Did this cruise 9/27/12, but started in Chalon-sur-Saone and travelled south to Avignon. Please see my post from yesterday, 10/20 @ 11:53am. Maybe some of my comments will be useful to you. We were on the Viking Europe. Viking is an excellent company, but there were specific things that my group of 6 did not like as you will see if you read my post. The most outstanding feature of our cruise was the perfect organization of every aspect of the cruise, especially when everyone disembarks on the last day. The staff and management really have thought of everything. Be glad to answer any other questions you have about our trip.

Archived