MESSINA TO TAORMINA need help

ALBOB330

Just an FYI, we just returned from the new Carnival Magic inaugeral cruise. We had a reservation with Mario in Taorimina booked. When we got into the port we were met by Mario's friend Chris who said he would be our guide. We all walked to the van and got inside, but before we could take off, Chris was asked to step outside by the police. There were many discussions and verbal exchanges between our tour guide, the police and what appeared to be the local taxi Union along with possibly the mafia. We spent a good hour while the parties negotiated. at one point we told the taxi union that we would only speak to the police. Finally Chris came to the van and apologized but told us we would have to leave the van an find another tour. We finally ended up with a taxi tour for the same amount with the same itinerary. At one point we opted to go with an offer from one of the taxi drivers but evidently it took us to long to decide so that taxi drive told us we should find another driver which we did, but what a joke. all in all it ended well but no exactly as planned. so I recommend a plan B. we did find out late that Mario had 2 other tours and ours happened to be the sacrificial lamb to the taxi drivers union and mafia. The other 2 tours did take off with a couple of glitches. So Mario is an honest business man, but there are some things he cannot fix with his country so a plan B is necessary.

Thanks for the warning!

• 1 month later...

For those that have rented a car, are you aware of any agencies that are open past 1 pm on Saturday afternoons?

I have googled & searched allot and 'think' Avis 'might' open, but would appreciate any other possibilies.

Argusrentals came back with 'nothing' fwiw.

In case anyone's interested, I've been researching train transportation options and here's the link... (in fact this covers trains all over Italy - you just need to know the stations you're interested in)

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

Use stations:

Messina Centrale (it appears to be a few blocks from the pier)

and

Taormina-Giardini (at the base of the town)

It appears at this time of year that the trains run about every hour or less and take anywhere from 40min. to 1hr. and cost around $4Euro each way.

Edited by VirtualRain

• 2 weeks later...
In case anyone's interested, I've been researching train transportation options and here's the link... (in fact this covers trains all over Italy - you just need to know the stations you're interested in)

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

Use stations:

Messina Centrale (it appears to be a few blocks from the pier)

and

Taormina-Giardini (at the base of the town)

It appears at this time of year that the trains run about every hour or less and take anywhere from 40min. to 1hr. and cost around $4Euro each way.

so if i get this right between messina and taormina, by train is lets say 1 hour to be safe...

so 1 hour to go

1h hour back

is 3 hours enough in taormina, do i get to see mt etna...

once back into messina i still have 2 hours to kill before getting to the ship

so is it doable on my own...any response would be appreciated...

tks

Hi,

We just got back from a cruise on the Oceania Insignia. I had booked with Mario and he was great at getting back quick with emails. Very friendly.

We had his brother and he was wonderful. Wow ton's of history and a great driver. They were very accommodating even when our ship made a last min change of plans:

Our ship changed ports at the last min. because of winds. Mario's brother was waiting at the port I had told him. When we got off the ship we talked to a taxi driver and told him that we were trying to meet up with Mario. There was a taxi driver that could speak English said he had Mario's number. He was helpful and called Mario. Mario then called his brother to let him know we were at a different port. Mario came to meet us an hung with us till his brother arrived. They didn't even complain about our mix up or charge us more.

I would highly recommend both of them.

how expensive is he??

we're looking at being in messina on the 9th of september

tks

nickie2000_2001@yahoo.com all info would be apprecaited, how do i get in touch

with him

tks

• 2 months later...

We are considering a cruise that has one stop in Messina . Read that some folks have booked with Mario Astone. Just want to hear more feedback from people who have used his service. Just a bit concern about one family arriving late in port and almost miss the ship. Another family got into the van and was eventually told to get off and they ended up taking a taxi tour with a taxi driver. Please share your experience in Messina, including do it yourself kind of excursions. Thank yoo.

We are considering a cruise that has one stop in Messina . Read that some folks have booked with Mario Astone. Just want to hear more feedback from people who have used his service. Just a bit concern about one family arriving late in port and almost miss the ship. Another family got into the van and was eventually told to get off and they ended up taking a taxi tour with a taxi driver. Please share your experience in Messina, including do it yourself kind of excursions. Thank yoo.
There are at least ten current threads with feedback about Mario --

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=26155358

TripAdvisor also has a ton of information about him. You should have no trouble finding recent information about his services.

We used Mario in Messina in this past July. We could not have been more pleased with him. He had cooked some gluten-free pasta for my daughter ahead of time when he was running into a problem trying to find a restaurant where she could get some. Unfortunately the guy who cleaned the van on the way to the port threw it out because it was off-color. He gave us a wonderful tour. He was also on the phone some having to deal with two difficult situations with passengers on our same cruise. One involved a person on our cruise who because upset they were booked with his brother rather than him and refused to go (and then later posted that he dumped them for someone who would pay more which was absolutely NOT true since we were the other ones and we had him booked for over 9 months). The other involved a family that got off the ship over an hour late and were upset because the driver that Mario had arranged for them was not there. They found the sign with their name in the trash though. I had also seen him when we got off. Mario set up for someone to go back to the port to meet them and I understand they had a great day.

Mario really went out of his way to accommodate my group of 5, including my daughter with special needs. When (& you notice I said when and not if) we go back to Sicily, we will definitely call him.

Although I have heard only the best about Mario Astone, I would highly suggest that if you are going to Toaminoa that you stay with the cruise line. People have been left behind for one reason or another. It really depends on how much time you will have at that port. There is nothing really to do in Messina although the last time I was there we stayed in the city and mingled with the locals.

Although I have heard only the best about Mario Astone, I would highly suggest that if you are going to Toaminoa that you stay with the cruise line. People have been left behind for one reason or another. It really depends on how much time you will have at that port. There is nothing really to do in Messina although the last time I was there we stayed in the city and mingled with the locals.

I always worry about missing the ship whenever we book a tour with a local vendor. Although we have always booked excursions not with the ship whenever we travel. What are some of the circumstances that cause the people to be late for the ship? Did they book with Mario?

I always worry about missing the ship whenever we book a tour with a local vendor. Although we have always booked excursions not with the ship whenever we travel. What are some of the circumstances that cause the people to be late for the ship? Did they book with Mario?

The traffic is a huge issue. Another time the ship departed earlier then expected, although I don't think happens too often. Remember that if you are on a tour with the ship and there is a delay on the roads the ship will wait. If you are on your own you are out of luck. The sicilians drive all over the roads. two cars drive in the same lane. I think the lines are just suggestions,lol. When we did this Mario's prices were much higher then the ship too. Where do you plan on going? How much time do you have?

The traffic is a huge issue. Another time the ship departed earlier then expected, although I don't think happens too often. Remember that if you are on a tour with the ship and there is a delay on the roads the ship will wait. If you are on your own you are out of luck. The sicilians drive all over the roads. two cars drive in the same lane. I think the lines are just suggestions,lol. When we did this Mario's prices were much higher then the ship too. Where do you plan on going? How much time do you have?

We are not going until next August. Yes, I am the kind who likes to plan months ahead. Just to do some preliminary research and I will fine tune the planning as we get closer. The ship is supposed to dock from 7 to 4. Not keen on getting off the ship really early so chances are we will be out by 8 earliest .I checked the ship's website and they have a tour called "Taormina on your own" Basically they are providing the transportation to and from Taormina. They say the traveling time is 1 hour, (x2) The whole trip is 6 1/2 hour so that means they give you about 4 hours to sightsee. It does not give you anytime in Messina. You are on your own to do your look see in Messina. Heard there is a clock tower, saw the picture. Seems nice. The train will be really inexpensive, providing it doesn't go on strike.Oh I think the ship charges $70 each for the Taromina on your own. Wonder how much Mario charges. I emailed him, waiting for a response.

We are not going until next August. Yes, I am the kind who likes to plan months ahead. Just to do some preliminary research and I will fine tune the planning as we get closer. The ship is supposed to dock from 7 to 4. Not keen on getting off the ship really early so chances are we will be out by 8 earliest .I checked the ship's website and they have a tour called "Taormina on your own" Basically they are providing the transportation to and from Taormina. They say the traveling time is 1 hour, (x2) The whole trip is 6 1/2 hour so that means they give you about 4 hours to sightsee. It does not give you anytime in Messina. You are on your own to do your look see in Messina. Heard there is a clock tower, saw the picture. Seems nice. The train will be really inexpensive, providing it doesn't go on strike.Oh I think the ship charges $70 each for the Taromina on your own. Wonder how much Mario charges. I emailed him, waiting for a response.

You have more time then most ships. Taormina on your own is a great way to see this beautiful city. I know people that have taken the train with no issues at all. But you are correct they can go on strikeat any time. What a crazy way to live. I recall being on the train in Rome, it stopped for 10 minutes, they went on strike and then they restarted again. Please understand that the train goes to the bottom of the hill and then you have to take a taxi from the train station to Taormina. The clock tower is cute and if you miss it you are not missing much. Taormina is beautiful and not to be missed. I completely understand you planning so early. I always do that an happier for it. Going with the ship is a no hassle way. I typically do not travel with the ship toursbut there are sometimes I think it is necessary.

I really don't see how anyone can say that a ship excursion is better than private, but everyone has their own tastes. I actually have never heard of anyone getting left in Taormina due to a private excursion late. If anyone did, I'm sure it would be blasted all over the boards and that tour providers business would be ruined. I can see however that someone doing it on their own can be left.

You have to make your own decision about shore excursions. I do know that there is the charming town of Castelmola that is above Taormina. Buses cannot get up there due to the narrow roads, so no cruise line excursion goes there. Mario took us there and we had the best lunch at a great restaurant he recommended that brought us out some of the best brushetta I've ever tasted (& it was free).

If cost is your primary concern, you can likely get others together from your ship. Or you can tell Mario that you do not mind if he adds others to your group that inquire about a tour. I have never heard of anyone that went with either him or his brother who were not pleased.

Mario does not have a website. I asked him about that and he said he is always booked and he really did not need to spend out the extra to have someone set it up and maintain it.

When he contacts you back, tell him Theresa from the summer says hello.

Edited by wantocruisemore

I really don't see how anyone can say that a ship excursion is better than private, but everyone has their own tastes. I actually have never heard of anyone getting left in Taormina due to a private excursion late. If anyone did, I'm sure it would be blasted all over the boards and that tour providers business would be ruined. I can see however that someone doing it on their own can be left.

You have to make your own decision about shore excursions. I do know that there is the charming town of Castelmola that is above Taormina. Buses cannot get up there due to the narrow roads, so no cruise line excursion goes there. Mario took us there and we had the best lunch at a great restaurant he recommended that brought us out some of the best brushetta I've ever tasted (& it was free).

If cost is your primary concern, you can likely get others together from your ship. Or you can tell Mario that you do not mind if he adds others to your group that inquire about a tour. I have never heard of anyone that went with either him or his brother who were not pleased.

Mario does not have a website. I asked him about that and he said he is always booked and he really did not need to spend out the extra to have someone set it up and maintain it.

When he contacts you back, tell him Theresa from the summer says hello.

I am in no way saying that a ships tour is better. I generally do all on my own or with a tour operator. It's the time and distance to Taormina that is the issue here. If mario did all that for you, that is outstanding and if it were me I would be corresponding with him. Castelmola is a very unique village, they filmed the wedding from the GodFather there. I still don't know how they got the film crew and equipment up there. Also be know that there are phallic symbols everywhere, even the knobs on the sinks, back of the chairs. We did too have a great meal there and some of the best wine. If you did Toarmina on your own you would have time to get there. If you can believe, I wasn't on a cruise for that visit and I drove up the mountain, OMG what an experience.

The Messina taxi cooperative has a big sign just as you come out of the cruise terminal with fixed prices to various sites in the area. For Taormina the price is €120 round trip which includes a one hour wait. If you need more time I seem to recall it's €25 for an additional hour. Cruise line excursions to Taormina cost around €50 a person so a taxi would be cost effective for three or more. When we went last month the driver had a nice new and clean Mercedes which made the trip in less than a half hour. There's little need to book a specific driver in advance because taxis are plentiful.

Edited by Capricruiser

The Messina taxi cooperative has a big sign just as you come out of the cruise terminal with fixed prices to various sites in the area. For Taormina the price is €120 round trip which includes a one hour wait. If you need more time I seem to recall it's €25 for an additional hour. Cruise line excursions to Taormina cost around €50 a person so a taxi would be cost effective for three or more. When we went last month the driver had a nice new and clean Mercedes which made the trip in less than a half hour. There's little need to book a specific driver in advance because taxis are plentiful.

Hi Capricruiser, how many people can fit into one taxi? Can you walk from Castelmola to Taormina? I heard back from Mario, he is charging 45 Euros per person based on 6 people for a tour that goes to Castelmola, then to Taormina and lastly Messina. How much time is eough to see Taormina? One hour doesn't seem like a lot of time. If you have to travel by car say average of 45 minutes from Messina to Taormina and 45 minutes back, and only spend one to one and a half hour there, it might not be worth the cost. Might as well have a few different spots to see on the tour.

• 4 months later...
Hi, Sally. Our ship, the Noordam, is only in port from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Mario says he will pick us up at 7:30; we'll arrive in Castelmola around 8 or 8:15, and stay there for 30-45 minutes before heading down to Taormina where we'll visit for a couple of hours. There, he says, he can either give us a map or walk around with us giving detailed explanations, whichever we prefer. Then we'll leave in time to maybe have a quick drive around Messina, ending at the astronomical clock for its noon display. That's about twelve minutes long, and he says we'll then be a three-minute walk from the ship.

So all in all, a little more than a 4-1/2 hour stint with Mario. I'm sure he would use your time any way you would like. He drives a 2007 Mercedes Vito van, 9 passenger (including the driver). When I asked him about our being left stranded up in Taormina (I told you I grilled him pretty good), his reaction was, "What?? Just abbandon (sic) you?" Then he said not only would he be "mean" to do that but also stupid since he doesn't get paid until the end of the tour.

Hi! We are a family of 4 and are also on the Noordam with only a morning in Messina. Your tour is exactly what I am looking for! Can you tell me how much Mario charges for this?

Hi! We are a family of 4 and are also on the Noordam with only a morning in Messina. Your tour is exactly what I am looking for! Can you tell me how much Mario charges for this?

Goole his name i don't have his web site, just his mail but i am not shure it still works

• 1 year later...

Our Castelmola and Taormina tour was the best tour ever! We were guided by a Licensed Tour Guide: Tomasso Pante website http://www.sunway.it It would be hard to overstate our guide's superb skills. He is enthusiastic, kind, patient, knowledgeable, and passionate about his homeland. Being a guide is more than a job for him--that's for sure. It is a calling, which he exercises ably with grace and humor. Passionate, smart, articulate, funny, fun, kind, fair, joyful, gracious--all these words and more describe our wonderful Tomasso! Thanks!

Edited by BarbarianTraveller

• 8 months later...

hi Gene,

Thanks for the information. My husband and I are going to Taormina soon and we are thinking to do a one day tour on our own. Do you remember how long it takes to go down from the down to the train station? Thank you!

Hi Bobbie:

We did the above on our own, for far less than Princess was offering. We took the train to Taormina (very inexpensive) and a taxi up the hill from the Taormina train station to the town itself. It's a beautiful little town. Then we walked down a zigzag walking trail from the town back to the train station. Enjoy!! Gene