Child Passports almost Expired!

Rica6

My family will be sailing on the Pride on Aug.5th and i'm concerned that 2 of my 3 kids passports expire in a couple of months.

I will bring along their birth certificates as backup, is that enough?

We are all canadian citizens and driving out to baltimore so technically if the u.s. customs accepts it which they did a couple of weeks ago, we should be ok in the bahamas port of call, right?

U.S. Passports need to still be good for 6 months after the travel date not sure if the same rules apply for all passports. I would look into it.
This is incorrect for a Bahamas cruise. The 6 month 'requirement' is a function of the destination countries, and Bahamas does not require that for US or Canadian passengers on cruises. Bahamas does require 3 months for non-cruise Canadian tourist visits who enter the country.

My wife's passport expired 4 weeks after our cruise.

Us customs commented that it was about to expire but no issues. Carnival though it had expired due to date format ( They read 7/4 as April 7 instead of July 4) but cleared that up -- and no other issues.

(also Canadian btw)

I emailed the Canadian Consilate (however you spell it lol) before our first cruised which included the Bahamas, and they suggested our Passports were not set to expire within 6 months of our trip....suggested is the key word so take that as you may. Might be worth investigating further

I may be wrong but, it is suggested because if there is an emergency where you could be stuck in a foreign country for some time it might be extremely difficult to get home. My daughters expired 3 mos after returning and this was the info I received from my PVP.

My family will be sailing on the Pride on Aug.5th and i'm concerned that 2 of my 3 kids passports expire in a couple of months.

I will bring along their birth certificates as backup, is that enough?

We are all canadian citizens and driving out to baltimore so technically if the u.s. customs accepts it which they did a couple of weeks ago, we should be ok in the bahamas port of call, right?

Since you are a Canadian Citizen, you might have different rules, but as a US citizen, we don't need a passport, just a proper birth certificate on a closed loop cruise. If the passport is accepted at the boarder crossing, then I don't see why it wouldn't be good getting off the ship (back on US soil) where you started from and was already accepted. Doesn't mean you shouldn't check. Just my thoughts.

U.S. Passports need to still be good for 6 months after the travel date not sure if the same rules apply for all passports. I would look into it.

Have a great trip!!

I am not sure about a Canadian Passport, but I just traveled with my US passport that expired the day after I returned. I used my passport as ID and typed in the numbers for my boarding pass/etc. I had no problem at all. I was nervous that there would be a problem so I brought my birth certificate, but it was not needed. On the way back into the states they didnn't even look at my passport. Again, I am not sure what would happen with Canadian passports. I know that US passports must be valid during the trip if you sail and return from a US port.

You should be fine a the current moment. For doing road crossings a Passport is required for us Canadians for going in to the States. When coming back by land, a Passport is recommended, although any valid Gov't issued Canadian ID should do (i cant remember), for Canadians under 16 a provincial Birth Certif should be good (better check with Canada Border Services Agency).

Under Carnival policy, a passport is REQUIRED for non-US citizens.

For your Kids' Passports since they will expire soon, I recommend renewing the as soon as possible.

You should be good also in the ports in the Bahamas.

Archived