How's the QM2 Hair Salon These Days?

Leucothea

I used the hair salon last summer and don't intend to ever go back. I went in for a wash -blow out -and curl. I felt very rushed by the staff. They were trying to sell every product under the sun to me. I live in NYC and am used to spending a lot of money on my hair but I thought they were ridiculous.

My hair did not last until dinner. All the curls fell out. It did not look like I even spent time in the salon.

We were on the ship for 3 weeks and I had planned to get my hair done multiple times for formal nights. After the first try I called and cancelled my other appointments.

I was very disappointed in the salon and spa on the QM2.

I am looking forward to our upcoming voyage. But I don't plan on using the salon.

~Kerry

My last appointment with the salon on QM2 was last New Year's Eve; wash, cut and style. The shampoo was fine, but the cut and style was a disaster. All I could do was smile, say thanks and rush back to my cabin. (I had waited 30 minutes past my appointment time - the salon didn't call me to inform me about the delay, so I just sat in the salon and waited. In addition to walking away with a weird hair style, I was late for a party due to the delay.)

When I returned to our cabin after my hair had been "done", I knocked on the door: the look on my husband's face was priceless when he saw my coiffure. Rarely has he been rendered speechless, but that did it! I guess that made it worth the exorbitant price charged by the salon.

So, in answer to your question, my suggestion would be to go to the salon you usually use prior to embarkation. Regards, -S.

I went on my first QM2 voyage, and found it horrendously expensive for a shampoo and blow dry - something like $80 - that's over £50!! On my last voyage I took my velcro rollers with me, and styled it myself, and it looked just as good. :cool:

I read somewhere on here a while ago of a real rip off in the hair solon.

As I remember it , the passenger booked a hair colour, for a price about twice the normal (shore ) cost. The staffer did the color, washed it out , then announced the passenger was finished. When the passenger pointed out her hair needed to be dried, she was told "drying is not included in the price, that is counted as a shampoo and set and you will have to pay that price in addition to the colouring"!!!!!!

Do you not go for a quick polish on formal nights? Standards are, indeed, slipping. Sir Martin

Please tell me you're one of those hairless cats? If not, you will be, next time I visit the mountains of Norfolk :cool: .

I read somewhere on here a while ago of a real rip off in the hair solon.

As I remember it , the passenger booked a hair colour, for a price about twice the normal (shore ) cost. The staffer did the color, washed it out , then announced the passenger was finished. When the passenger pointed out her hair needed to be dried, she was told "drying is not included in the price, that is counted as a shampoo and set and you will have to pay that price in addition to the colouring"!!!!!!

It always makes sense to ask what's included upfront. I can't speak for other cities, but in downtown Chicago, booking an appointment for a color does not include drying. You are shown the self-service hairdryers.

Several years ago the salon wasn't bad. I had a couple of fairly good cuts there. It was also frequented by some of the celebrities who were onboard. But a couple of years ago the tone of the salon seemed more like Jean Louis David quick salons in NYC (which are pretty tatty) than a high end salon. The cut I received was ok, it wasn't a disaster, but I was given a colour as well, and it was as though she'd put nothing on it at all; no difference. My overall impression of the place was not that great.

As I am a hairdresser, I thought I'd treat myself on my first T.A which was in 2009 I went in asked about the price and did it myself for nothing. The year after we were on the first leg of the world cruise, we got chatting to a couple she had her hair done everyday but said it was a bit of a waste of time as before going for dinner she was having to comb it up.

As it was a long journey I had taken my scissors with me and trimmed my hubbys hair on our balcony half way across the south atlantic, must be the strangest place I'd done a hair-cut ;).

51 nights on the Sydney - Southampton voyage was a little too long for my color to last, so I had to make use of the on board hair salon and I must say I was favorably impressed! I was prepared to pay more than in my local salon, but it wasn't outrageous, she did a really good job of matching my 'silver highlights' with my previous color, and even threw in a free fringe trim. I used a voucher for a conditioning treatment that did wonders for hair that had been swimming every day for the past six weeks!

Archived