Princess excursion choice in Dunedin, NZ

I just booked my train ride through the train company online and it was $187 for my family of 4.

It was going to cost me $716 for the same thing(?) through the RC website - sounds crazy yeah?

Well done, i hope a few others will be able to reap the benefits also instead of paying through the nose by not paying extortionate ship prices.

This is one of the easiest and cost effective tours one can book privately.

Remember, there is a dedicated shuttle bus at the end of the pier. It should be parked next to the i-site - not in the line with all the other buses.

Nick & Mick

The Railways train goes to Middlemarch. The Ship train goes to Puckerangi. Middlemarch is further up the gorge and there is an hour turnaround where lunch can be obtained in the small town.

The shuttle bus that takes you from the wharf to the Dunedin Railway station will take you on a City Tour for a total of $25 after you get back from the train trip in the afternoon. Dont confuse the railway shuttle bus with the ship's shuttle buses. It is a green bus and the people at or near the I Office will direct you to it.

John

Cunnori

We did the train trip in April. The carriages on the ship train are more modern than the railways train and wheelchairs may be able to access the carriages from a platform but with the older type carriages there is quite a step up of about three steps from ground level to the boarding platform at each end of the carriages. I did not see a wheelchair hoist but that is not to say there is not one. E mail the railways on tairi.co.nz and ask about wheel chair access.

JOHN

Is a must. We did the train last January with my husband and elderly parents. We got on the train on the wharf and as Princess passengers we got refreshments on the way to the train station where other passengers got on. Scenery was beautiful, only thing was it was very windy that day when we got to the end of the trip so was difficult to enjoy the stalls set up there.

Worth the money:)

John, Thank you for the rsponse. I have sent an e-mail and will return and post the response.

THere is a comment on their home page about cruise ship passengers. It states that there are accessible carriages. So maybe it is only certain ones from specific locations.

Nick & Mick

The Railways train goes to Middlemarch. The Ship train goes to Puckerangi. Middlemarch is further up the gorge and there is an hour turnaround where lunch can be obtained in the small town.

John

Not necessarily true John. Depends on the particular timetabled day as per Sandielle's post. On our trip in March both trains terminated at Pukerangi. There are no shops at puckerangi, just a small craft market.

Either way this trip is worth doing.

Hugh

I found this on their website. It's the cruise ship version.

http://taieri.co.nz/cruiseships.php

The public train trip offers all the same sightseeing benefits including stops. The public train also had some "newer" carriages with lifts but disabled persons still need to get to the station by special vehicle as the shuttle bus does not have disabled facilities.

Archived