St. John's, Magen's, Sapphire or Emerald Beach??

C-breeze

We have been to St. Thomas many times and love Magen's Bay, but this time there are 3 other large ships in port with us. I was wondering if I would like any of the above beaches as much as Magen's Bay and if they would be less crowded? We are 10 people in our 50's and early 60's and very young at heart. We need a beach with chairs, bathrooms and a restaurant. Our ship is there from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. I know Magen's set up for chairs are not even open until 9.

I was going to recommend either Sapphire Beach or a day sail to the St John beaches until I saw the requirement for a restaurant. Sapphire has a restaurant up behind the marina and a grill on the beach. But if you want that a restaurant on the beach property look at Secret Harbor. Not as nice a bay as Sapphire but there is a restaurant.

I would consider a day sail to STJ though, preferably something offered through the ship from your port that's easy for all of you to get to.

St. John's, Magen's, Sapphire or Emerald Beach??

St. John's is the Capital of Antigua

Sapphire- Would not recommend, pretty beach, but not much else there. Hotel facilities are not operational.

Emerald Beach- close- check, pretty-check facilities - check. I never cared for it's proximity to the airport and the occasional 757 you'll encounter between 11:30 and 3 PM

Magen's Bay- One of my favorites and many locals consider it "our beach" 3 ships in it might be a little corwded, but move a little down the beach either to the right or left of the sundries shop/concession and you should be able to find a nice patch of sand. The way the water laps up on the beach will be unforgettable.

Scott

We all have our favorites, obviously. But from the history here, on TA, and TTOL you can go by these guidelines -

Emerand Beach Resort in Lingbergh Bay is ok but not as nice as other bays. Popular with families and folks who don't want to venture far from port and aren't looking for snorkeling or the nicest beach.

Sapphire and Coki are THE off the beach snorkel choices. Coki is a very small and beautiful bay that has a busier vibe and has several vendors as well as Coral World. Sapphirek is a much larger bay with 3 condo resorts fronting it. We're fond of Sapphire after spending a week there, love the sapphire-colored water and island views. Both Coki and Sapphire offer food/drink/restrooms. Secret Harbor is a smaller bay with a condo resort that many people like because there is a restaurant on property. These are all East End beaches. Note that these are condo resorts, not hotels with full-service amenities. St Thomas is not a full-serve resort destination.

Magens Bay is a large, beautiful bay that attracts most cruisers because it is so popular.Very crowded generally but you can walk further down away from the throng.

St John's beaches are more beautiful and closer to the quality of those in the BVI (IMHO). As a group of 8 (4 couples) we've done both the beach day and cat sail and for your group on STT I would look at a day sail to STJ. Very easy to coordinate, and the beaches and coastline of STJ is stunning.

If any old beach will do then any of those above and others will be fine. But if you are looking for more search existing threads here and on cruisecritics sister site tripadvisor for more details on all of these options so you can make the best choice for your group and enjoy your day!

And I know you didn't ask for these ideas but for even more of an experience Pirates Penny/Stormy Petrel and other operators offer a motor ride to the BVI with a stop at the Baths on Virgin Gorda, a snorkel stop, and some time on White Bay on Josts. We haven't done 'er yet but sounds like a great day and the reviews are excellent. Passport req'd of course...

Archived