Itinerary - Alaska - Aug 2013

dawn.glenn@ns.sympatico.c

Hello,

This is our tentative itinerary for our 2013 trip to Alaska. We will be doing a 13 night Princess Cruisetour.

Aug 25 - arrive in Anchorage and stay the night at the Captain Cook Hotel. Maybe take in a museum and maybe the weekend market.

Aug 26 - bus to Mt McKinley Princess Lodge. Get off in Talkeetna and do flightseeing with K2 Aviation with a Glacier Landing on Ruth Glacier. Shuttle to lodge for the night.

Aug 27 - train to Denali Princess Lodge. Dinner theatre this evening.

Aug 28 - Shuttle into Denali National Park to wonder lake - will get off possibly at Eilson if mountain is not out.

Aug 29 - bus to Copper River Princess Lodge accross gravel Denali Hwy. (I hope this ride is as beautiful as many have said in their reviews!)

Aug 30 - a bit undecided on excursion for Copper River Lodge. It's a toss up between the Prince William Sound Trip or the flight into McCarthy/Kennicott. Any comments or advice would be apprecitate! We initially planned to do McCarthy/Kennicott but will be also be flying in Talkeetna and Juneau as well.....still worth it??? thoughts please. This is really the only part of our trip I am have difficulty deciding.

Aug 31 - bus to Whittier to board ship. Will travel Seward, Glenn & Richardson Highways.

Aug 31 - board Princess Sapphire

Sept 1 - scenic cruising - Hubbard Glacier

Sept 2 - scenic cruising - Glacier Bay

Sept 3 - Skagway - tour with Dyea Dave to Emerald Lake (and all the sites on the way) then White Pass train back to bus depot. Afterwards may go to Gold Rush Cemetary and Reid Falls if time permits. worth it to go to these two extra sites? Also if time wander the town a bit.

Sept 4 - Juneau - Northstar Trekking level 3 Helicopter Glacier Hike. Would love to do the Gastineau Gold Mine Tour as well but don't think we will have time so maybe just a ride up the Tram is weather permits. Would also like to wander the town. May do this instead of Tram.

Sept 5 - Ketchikan - Wander the town on our own. Maybe take in the lumberjack show/totem poles.

Sept 6 - at sea

Sept 7 - disembark in Vancouver BC.

I am interested to hear thoughts on our itinerary. Do you think it's too much? Too busy? Thoughts on how it could be arranged in a better fashion? Anything at all that may help. We are young and active. We want to make the best of our time and see as much as we can but at the same time we do not want to be run off our feet. So.....input please!!

Does anyone feel we are spending too much time flying between the flightseeing in Talkeetna, the Helicopter Glacier Trekk in Juneau and the possible trip to McCarthy/Kennicott in Copper River Lodge? I sometimes think it's too much flying....but the later two flights are simply to get to the excursion (ie glacier trekk, and mill tour) and not necessarily pure flightseeing...thoughts?

Frugaltravel...it would be root glacier in Wrangell/St Elias NP right? have you hiked on this glacier VS Mendanhall? We were thinking of the tour of McCarthy and the Kennicott Mill tour. I did look into doing the glacier hike and the mill tours but apparently there is not enough hours in the day unless we were to stay the night there. Why would you prefer glacier hike in Wrangell/St Elias? Thanks for the input...it will help me so much!

• 2 weeks later...

We have tweeted this afternoon bit all thanks to advice from all you kind folks here at cruise critic. When will be going direct to my McKinley princess lodge and use the isolation as a relax day. One out of 17 will be okay lol. We enjoy hiking so this is where we can do a bit of hiking and perhaps kick back with a drink or two and enjoy the beauty around us. With any luck it will be a beautiful clear dsy....would love to be part of that 30 percent group! The next morning we are going to try to work it so we vet up early and catch the shuttle to talkeetna for an 8 30 flightseeing trip. That should put us back on the ground at about 10 30. We will then have 1 hour to explain,ore talkeetna and maybe grab a bite to eat at the roadhouse.....If not time to eat we can eat on the train. How does this plan sound??

When we get to Denali we will stay and visit the wac and visitors cfntre etc and get our lunch for on the shuttle the next day. We will skip the dinner theater.

Does anyone feel we are spending too much time flying between the flightseeing in Talkeetna, the Helicopter Glacier Trekk in Juneau and the possible trip to McCarthy/Kennicott in Copper River Lodge? I sometimes think it's too much flying....but the later two flights are simply to get to the excursion (ie glacier trekk, and mill tour) and not necessarily pure flightseeing...thoughts?

You may want to consider some alternatives to the excursions involving flying. When we were in Alaska a few weeks ago some people had their excursions cancelled due to the fog and clouds. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about the weather.

I don't have much experience on flights in AK as I just did a flight to Pack Creek out of Juneau. It was truly wonderful!!! However, I did go on the PWS tour out of Whittier and it was a true highlight for us. I have always loved being on the water and getting up close to some wildlife (not guarenteed on this tour) and seeing the many glaciers as well as passage through Esther Passage.....it was all so beautiful!!! I think you need to follow your gut feeling, whatever that may be. Some people do tire of seeing too many similar things. I simply love all of nature and can't get enough of any of it. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Think it over and go for whatever you are leaning to a little more.

I have taken this particular cruisetour and we also spent time in Kennicott/McCarthy on our own. I will say that the flightseeing into this area is spectacular and I would encourage you to consider it. The mountain ranges and glaciers you view are unequalled. We spent two nights in McCarthy and did the mill tour and 1/2 day glacier tour while there. On the cruisetour we did the Prince William Sound tour. Of the two, I would suggest the flight seeing and the hike to the glacier. We brought our meal with us and ate sitting right on the glacier. Very neat. McCarthy is a neat little area--kinda like the old west, a dirt main street, mud puddles, dogs laying around, etc. 30-45 minutes there and you have seen everything there is to see. Don't know if toursaver would be an option for you but when we did this (2010) we used the two for one coupon for both the flightseeing and glacier hike. The mill tour takes about an hour--it is interesting hearing how they lived and worked when the mill was running. Since flightseeing sometimes is cancelled, you might choose this and possibly use Prince William Sound as a backup.

I have taken this particular cruisetour and we also spent time in Kennicott/McCarthy on our own. I will say that the flightseeing into this area is spectacular and I would encourage you to consider it. The mountain ranges and glaciers you view are unequalled. We spent two nights in McCarthy and did the mill tour and 1/2 day glacier tour while there. On the cruisetour we did the Prince William Sound tour. Of the two' date=' I would suggest the flight seeing and the hike to the glacier. We brought our meal with us and ate sitting right on the glacier. Very neat. McCarthy is a neat little area--kinda like the old west, a dirt main street, mud puddles, dogs laying around, etc. 30-45 minutes there and you have seen everything there is to see. Don't know if toursaver would be an option for you but when we did this (2010) we used the two for one coupon for both the flightseeing and glacier hike. The mill tour takes about an hour--it is interesting hearing how they lived and worked when the mill was running. Since flightseeing sometimes is cancelled, you might choose this and possibly use Prince William Sound as a backup.[/quote']

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It sounded like a wonderful experience.

Thanks so much. I think we will put priority on doing the Kennicott/McCarthy fly in fly out excursion while at Copper River. We'll have something as "plan B" in case weather changes our plans. I think the PWS would be an awesome back up but I am concerned with the travel time to get there. Not that travel and bus times bother us....but I am just wondering if it would be worth the travel time from Copper River. This is the description of the excursion offered by Princess. i think this would really be the only way of doing it given we will not have a car. it's a 2hr drive there and back with a 7 hour tour. it apparently focuses on Columbia Glacier which I have heard some say is not as good as other areas there?????

"Embark on an eye-opening journey through Prince William Sound and come face to face with the Columbia Glacier, one of the world's fastest-moving glaciers and the last tidewater glacier in North America. Your adventure begins on a scenic drive through Thompson Pass, once used by Alaska's native Ahtna people and later by gold rush miners on their way to the booming town of Klondike. Then, you'll continue on through beautiful miles of green-forested hillsides to the town of Valdez where you'll embark on your Columbia Glacier cruise.

With front row views of the snow-frosted Chugach Mountains, you'll sail pass the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, responsible for transporting over 16 billion barrels of oil since its startup in 1977. Then, your boat will push through Prince William Sound and into Columbia Bay, home to whales, sea lions, puffins, seals, sea otters, eagles, bears, and more. As the boat twists its way around the Sound's many bays and islands and finally into Columbia Bay, the friendly on-board staff will discuss the history of the area, gold and copper mining, Alaskan Native indigenous to the Sound, the 1964 Alaskan earthquake, the 1989 oil spill and its aftermath, and more.

Your journey then takes you to Columbia Glacier. One of the first things you'll notice is the glacier's bright blue color, which is typical of glacial ice. This is also your opportunity to see history in the making. Sliding roughly 80 feet a day, the Glacier has retreated over nine miles since 1980 and has lost 1,300 feet of thickness.

A light lunch and hot beverages are served on board.

Thoughts????

Frugaltravel...it would be root glacier in Wrangell/St Elias NP right? have you hiked on this glacier VS Mendanhall? We were thinking of the tour of McCarthy and the Kennicott Mill tour. I did look into doing the glacier hike and the mill tours but apparently there is not enough hours in the day unless we were to stay the night there. Why would you prefer glacier hike in Wrangell/St Elias? Thanks for the input...it will help me so much!

If you find an independent operator rather than going through Princess you might be able to fit both the Root Glacier hike and the mill tour into one day. It is easily doable in one day and they time the afternoon mill tour so that you can do both in one day. The question is the transportation back and the timing.

The Root Glacier hike is excellent and way cheaper than trying to get by helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier. In fact, the flight + glacier hike + mill tour will probably cost less than just the Mendenhall Glacier hike. How many of you are there? You might even be able to charter a plane or work out some deal with an air taxi company to assure you can do both the Root Glacier hike and mill tour and be back the same day.

frugaltravel...I did look into an independent tour to fly into the Kennecott area and do the root exit glacier in the morning and the mill tour in the afternoon...hopefully a bit to explore McCarthy then fly back to the copper river princess area. I spoke with Vicki Jasper of Kennecott Shuttle but all she could offer could not get us there in time for the exit glacier hike. Do you know of any other companies I could contact? I love to check into it more but I could not find any other companies when I did my search. We could easily do it if we stayed the night in the area, but to keep our other plans in line we wanted to go in and out the same day.

Archived