Waxing

pwillmo

My GYN also said that hair removal cuts down on yeast infections. I was very prone to them until I began removing the hair. I used the Magic hair removal powder evey week or so. It works well without being too harsh. When I got tired of that, I went to waxing.

If you are having problems and don't want the pain of waxing, the powder may be a good alternative for you.

My GYN also said that hair removal cuts down on yeast infections. I was very prone to them until I began removing the hair. I used the Magic hair removal powder evey week or so. It works well without being too harsh. When I got tired of that, I went to waxing.

If you are having problems and don't want the pain of waxing, the powder may be a good alternative for you.

Never heard of MAgic hair.

Can you tell me how it works? Can I buy it online?

Thanks,

Jane

Magic hair removal powder was originally meant as an alternative to shaving for men with sensative faces who are prone to ingrown hairs. It is a depilatory like Nair but much gentler so it doesn't cause the chemical irritation in sensative areas. I actually heard about the product on this board about a year ago. I got tired of shaving my nether region so I decided to try it. I still use it on my arm pits and when I have irregular hair growth between waxings.

I've seen the Magic powder and creams at HEB grocery, Walgreens, and Target. It is usually either with the black hair care or men's shaving sections. I haven't tried the cream because I heard it doesn't work as well as the powder. I use the powder in the silver can. I might try the cream when I run out of powder.

The powder is somewhat messy because you have to mix it 1 part powder to 1 part water. It takes a little while to get it blended into a creamy consistancy. I apply it with a 1.5" paint brush, let it set for around 8 minutes, then scrape it off with a plastic ice scraper and rinse any residue with water. The results last 1 week to 1.5 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows, time of year, etc.

The can lasts a long time. I use about 1 teaspoon of it for armpits and a tablespoon for nether. I haven't tried it on my legs but I'm sure it would work well for those.

I started going to a spa about 8 months ago to help get my acne under control. Since I go every 2 or 3 weeks for a facial, it seemed easy to get a Brazilian wax while I was waiting. The waxing only takes about 10 minutes and lasts 5-6 weeks.

I found a link on the Walgreens website. The silver can is the one that has aloe and vitamin E.

http://www.walgreens.com/brandstore/brandlist.jsp?CATID=501&orderBy=pricePerPackage

I would also like to try waxing...just my legs to begin with and I'm very nervous about trying it. I've heard it's very very painful. I have had my eyebrows waxed in the past but now pluck my own. How painful would you say the experience is, on your legs? I would hate to pay for it and then to realize I couldn't tolerate the pain.

TechKnowBabble: I have been getting my legs waxed for a few years now (age 51) I LOVE IT. Yes, it does "sting" a bit. But just for seconds. It is such a smooth look and feel when you are all done. TRY IT, you will agree. As far as pain I am the BIGGEST baby but this method is not bad really:D AND go back and try your eyebrows. Maybe you need to try a different SPA if they were overly painful. SHOP AROUND!! :D momrek06

Thank you for the info. I'll ask my doc about it, if he thinks it will help me.

I agree about the leg wax, I get it in the summer months, 1/2 leg and well worth it and I'm a big baby with pain too.

I do get eyebrow wax done and that is worth it too, would like to try threadding, if I find a place in NYC when I go, don't think anyone here does it, as I've never seen it advertised.

BTW, does anyone ever get an itch after an eyebrow wax? Mine always seem to itch slightly, not on the legs, but on the eyebrown?

Well, I got my "Magic Powder" today (I hope the drug enforecement agents aren't on here! <LOL>)

Hopefully I will have time to try it tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how it does!

Mrs Moose, My eyebrows itch without waxing, so I can't comment! I'm thinking of using Head and Shoulders on just them!

Karie, who is hopeing to soon become Hairless Karie in certain areas! Don't want to commit Hairy Karie!

Archived