Las caletas snorkeling ages question

crAZytwinmomma

We are sailing with carnival splendor and plan to do the las caletas tour booked through the ship.

Do they check ages on the island for snorkeling? My girls are VERY tall for their age and are just shy of being 8 in time for the cruise. They are superb swimmers, they can swim laps across the pool and do, often.

Any other tips or experiences with this excursion, feel free to share. Thanks!

We are sailing with carnival splendor and plan to do the las caletas tour booked through the ship.

Do they check ages on the island for snorkeling? My girls are VERY tall for their age and are just shy of being 8 in time for the cruise. They are superb swimmers, they can swim laps across the pool and do, often.

Any other tips or experiences with this excursion, feel free to share. Thanks!

The age restrictions are set by Carnival, not by the excursion operator. Customer satisfaction is tied directly to customer expectations. I know the folks at Vallarta Adventure don't carry the size mask, snorkel and fins that a small child would need. With that in mind, Carnival sets the age limit so you don't arrive with the expectation that your girls will be able to get the snorkeling gear that would fit them.

We have been to Las Caletas nearly a dozen times over the years. Marilyn is 4'10" on a tall day and wears a size 6 shoe. We have never been on any excursion anywhere the operators have had a mask that would seal properly or had fins that would stay on her feet ... that includes Las Caletas.

Your girls can snorkel all they want at Las Caletas. Just know in advance that you should not expect them to have gear that fits. Bring your own gear for the girls, we do whenever we know that Marilyn will be snorkeling.

We'll be back there again in six weeks.

Enjoy!

When we were at Las Caletas in Jan there were a lot of little kids snorkeling. They appeared much younger than 8 and I didn't see anyone checking ages. They had snorkel gear for them- but I didn't check to see how many smaller sets they had.

It was a great day- we really enjoyed it!

We just got back from the Splendor and did the Las Caletas Excursion...great choice!!!!

I did not think they had age restrictions on anything other than the kids activities (which required you to be under 11, much to my 12 yr old twins' dismay).

The snorkeling is very "open" to anyone who can handle it...but, I agree with the others, if you are concerned about equipment, bring your own. My BFF had her small son with her, and she had his equipement, so it was no issue.

Regarding the kids' activity option. It was a very "cute" option, but took a good chunk of time away from the water (about 40 mins) My 12 yr old son was actually able to pass for 11 (they did NOT check this on Las Caletas/Vallarta Adventures, just took our word for it). I felt okay with it because he is as small as an 11 yr old and does not weigh too much for a zipline. His twin sister is 5'8", so I didn't even try with her ;)

They take you to the "jungle-like trail" that is right behind the main beach area.

They start with a safety talk and give you a hardhat and harness, take you to the cage where two cute monkeys are (and will sit on your arm/head), take you on a donkey ride (parents or 12+ kids must lead the donkey), and then send you down 2 or 3 mild ziplines.

My son didn't think he would like it, but wound-up really enjoying it. I heard many younger kids saying it was the coolest thing ever.

Your time at Las Caletas will go very quickly!!

I did notice they had an offer to "extend your stay" for $20. In retrospect, I might have taken them up on that!! However, the did a show on the way back on the catamaran that I would not have wanted to miss...it was a tribute to "Queen", the rock group. It was hilarious, and totally kept my mom-in-law from getting seasick on the way back :eek:

You will have a great day!!

Archived