Sgian-dubh (daggers) - Any Scotsmen had problems?

KBC

My DH is a Scotsman and has for many years proudly worn his traditional Highland Dress along with kilt on formal evenings. The outfit includes a Sgian-dubh (dagger) which is worn, tucked in the top of the knee high sock.

In a recent thread, mention was made of blades in excess of 4 inches being prohibited on board. Whilst ornamental in purpose, it is a crafted blade (5 inches long) and is sharp. Frequently, the young male stewards and dining room staff, ask to see it close up and are clearly fascinated by the tradition.

I wondered if any other 'kilt wearers' had experienced difficulties with their Sgian-dubh onboard HAL vessels.

Sometimes DH is asked to remove it, sometimes nobody notices. It just depends. We didn't bring his kilt onboard last year so we didn't test it out as we didn't want to fly with his sgian-dubh as it is very sentimental as it was my grandfathers and bought in his father's highland kilt shop.

It's a good idea to leave the blade at home.

It would likely be considered a weapon so why risk having it confiscated?

We've admired how fine a few gentlemen have looked in their kilt on formal nights. We've seen them worn on at least 3-4 cruises. :)

We'd bought a rubber look alike for our young grandson who was a ring bearer at our daughter's wedding many years ago. That's the one my husband has brought on a cruise but of late with weight restrictions his Scottish garb remains at home. His kilt is the same weight as most of my outfits together and even formal nights seem less formal now,

Ruth

Got "caught" with my shean dubh last Nov. boarding the Westerdam. You would have thought the x-ray techie had caught the Great Train Robbers with her reaction. Bells, noise, people rushing around and many frustrated and aggravated people in line behind us. In spite of my pleas, explanations and my best salesmanship we and most of our baggage were allowed to board while the offending "dagger" and the carrying sheath were boldly packaged and separated from the rest of my kit. Figuring this heirloom to be gone and never again to be seen, we were resigned to being only partly dressed formally. The next day near noon we received a message in our room to proceed to the security and lo and behold my trusty "weapon" and I were reunited and the security bloke had a big chuckle over the zealousness of the Fort Lauderdale security. End of that story but not as bad as having my 3 inch pocket knife confiscated at Miami port the year previous boarding the Century. Apparently my pocket knife was of more danger than all the kitchen utensils, steak knives, and carving knives found at the buffet table. Alas-welcome to the post 9-11 world. Good luck and "Ceud Mille Failte" to you.

Redwinger

Thank you for your kind reply and traditional Welcome. You clearly appreciate the significance of being only 'partly dressed' without your Sgian-dubh. Not everyone realises how seriously Scotsmen regard the completeness of their ensemble. To date, DH has never been challenged and we take at least 2 cruises and a dozen flights every year. It goes without saying that he could leave it at home but would not feel dressed. Thanks again. :)

Redwinger

Thank you for your kind reply and traditional Welcome. You clearly appreciate the significance of being only 'partly dressed' without your Sgian-dubh. Not everyone realises how seriously Scotsmen regard the completeness of their ensemble. To date, DH has never been challenged and we take at least 2 cruises and a dozen flights every year. It goes without saying that he could leave it at home but would not feel dressed. Thanks again. :)

I do appreciate that it's part of the tradition, but I think a lot of kilt wearers are deciding to leave the dagger home. There are always some Scotsmen in kilts on formal night on Cunard, and I've noticed that fewer of the men have the dagger than I've seen in earlier years. One man I spoke to did admit to wearing a fake rather than have the hassle of dealing with security over the real thing.

I wore a sgian dubh twice last year on the Ryndam with no problems. I was a bit concerned it would be confiscated but put it in my suitcase alongside my kilt and had no problems.

No members of staff questioned me on board while I was wearing my kilt. It was quite a discussion item over dinner though:D

The reference to a "dagger" tends to glorify the perceived past use of the sgian dubh and current use of a local gangster weapon of choice. But certainly not the formal dress in complementing the kilt with it's many accessories, and in my case a Prince Charlie. The true Scot appreciates the fate awaiting anyone choosing to "unsheath" their very decorative sgian dubh. Having worn a kilt and playing the cursed bagpipes for over 50 years, I have yet to see this so-called "dagger" used for any purpose other than complimenting the formal and informal Highland attire. Cheers and say hello and a toast to the one and only Amazing Grace.

Archived