Voyager "LIVE" now getting ready to leave!!

Thanks so much. My 21 year old daughter, Samantha, just mentioned yesterday she wants to see Manhattan. Please, tell us some spots not too miss. The Tribeca Grill interests me but I am sure my daughters would love to see some celebrities -- not too many here in MI:)

Thanks so much.

Jacki

JacDro - sorry for the late reply - would be happy to suggest fun things to do! Judging by the time you have in NY and things your daughters are interested in, I'd recommend focusing on one area in Manhattan a day:

1. Ground Zero/Wall Street: This might be a good one to start with, since it's downtown and close to Jersey City. Head over to Manhattan via NY Waterway Ferry. The World Financial Center is in front of you. Grab a coffee at Starbucks and walk towards the Winter Garden (there are signs once inside). At the top of the Winter Garden steps (this used to be a walkway to the World Trade Center), you can see the entire Ground Zero site. This is one of the best viewing areas.

To get to Wall Street, head across any one of the pedestrian walkways over the West Side Highway and over to Church Street (that's the street on the other side of Ground Zero). Walk one block west over to Broadway and go south about 4-5 blocks to Wall Street. On your right will be Trinity Church. Turn left on Wall Street, and one block east is Federal Hall - where Washington addressed the nation (you can't miss the statue of him standing there). The stock exchange is on your right, on Broad Street. If you go down Broad Street, a good lunch (historical) spot is Fraunces Tavern - where Washington used to go.

Head back west 1 block to Broadway and walk south until you can't walk anymore. Then walk west to the new Ritz Carlton (you can't miss it) and have a drink at its bar/lounge Rise - nice views and one of the swankiest spots in town. (The chocolate fondue is great!)

For dinner, one of my favorite spots downtown is Steamers Landing, along the Hudson River. If you walk from the Ritz Carlton, head towards the river, and it's about 20 minutes north. The walk along the river is paved and very enjoyable. There's also a nice view of your hotel! After dinner keep walking north about 5 minutes, and there's the World Financial Center and your Ferry stop.

2. Midtown, from 48th Street to 59th along 5th Avenue - start at 48th, where Rockefeller Center (Today Show) is, and head north on 5th Avenue. Saks is on your right as is St. Patrick's Cathedral. Lots of big names as you head north - Versace, Cartier..etc. At 56th is Trump Tower - head inside for a great people-watching Starbucks on the 2nd floor. Next to Trump Tower is (drum roll) Tiffany's. (Great lunch stop is Mangia on 57th, between 5th and 6th. Upscale Mediterranean deli.). If you're up to it stop by the newly renovated Museum of Modern Art, on 53rd between 5th and 6th. Take a taxi or the M5 bus ($2.00 in change only or buy a Metrocard at any subway stop) down to 34th Street for the Empire State Building.

For dinner, 2 restaurants come to mind generally in that area: (1) Cafeteria, at 17th and 8th. Good, solid American fare in a hip, Chelsea setting. (It was opened by Tyler Florence of the Food Channel) or (2) Mesa Grill at 16th and 5th. This is Bobby Flay's flagship restaurant - southwestern with a flair.

3. Soho/Tribeca - Spend the day shopping and people-watching. Walk to or a take a taxi to West Broadway and Spring Street. Walk north on W. Broadway, and you'll see many of the same stops as on 5th Avenue, but with hipper collections. Food/drink: Cheap eats at Mooncake Foods (Pan Asian), Watts and Thompson. Hip and expensive drinks at either the Soho or Tribeca Grand. Solid burgers and jukebox at Broome Street Bar and Grill. The aforementioned Tribeca Grill and Nobu (reservations!!!) as well.

4. Upper East Side - Museum Mile. Metropolitan Museum and Guggenheim all along 5th Avenue about a mile stretch from 72nd Street northwards. Viennese pastries at a cafe across 5th Avenue from the Met. (Name escapes me right now.)

Other interesting places to see/eat - Katz' Deli (E. Houston, in the Lower East Side), where the famous scene in "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed, Cafe Lola (Upper West Side) - in "You've Got Mail", afternoon tea at the St. Regis (5th Avenue and 53rd??), Carnegie Deli on 55th and 7th. If you had to see one Broadway play, go for Mamma Mia.

Ohh - and you'll be here during Fleet Week, so you may want to stop by the Intrepid, which was an aircraft carrier they turned into a museum - at around 59th and the Hudson River. Lots of crowds, and you'll surely see lots of uniforms around the city!

Hopefully this helps - didn't mean to get all Fodor'sy here, and of course these are only suggestions! - so happy to share my favorite places. (I'm sure you can tell I love eating!) Enjoy NY and the cruise!!

Jacdro,

I know you are inundated with advise. The Hyatt is a great choice. You have a choice of the Path Train (only a 4 minute train ride into downtown NY). It actually takes you through ground zero. The ferry which is also very senic as was said takes you to the financial district. I am partial to Chinatown since I taught at a school on Mott Street for 3 years. There is so much to see.

As for dinner, Downtown Jersey City really built up in the past few years. Many restaurants are in walking distance to your hotel. If you are feeling adventourus and don't want to pay NY prices for food there is a wonderful Spanish restaurant in Bayonne called Mediterraneo portions are generous and the Sangria will knock your socks off. It is a 10 minute cab ride or you can take the Light Rail which is close to the hotel to 45th Street Bayonne. Walk two blocks to Broadway. The restaurant is between 44th and 45th street.

Archived