Self-assist disembarking

Jaberwocky

I hope I used the correct term in the title. We are planning to disembark ourselves from the Carnival Glory in New York. Having never done this before I was wondering if you have to get off the ship in the first group, or can we wait until the time is right for us to leave? We will be storing our luggage at a place that doesn't open until 8:00, and I noticed someone posted in a review that they were able to disembark at 7:00, which would really be too early for us. Thanks for any help you might give.

If you are doing self-assist, you can get off at any time. I have never waited. I look out my balcony and if I see people leaving, I leave also. Do not worry about it, you already have your luggage on you.

Good Luck!

If you are doing self-assist, you can get off at any time. I have never waited. I look out my balcony and if I see people leaving, I leave also. Do not worry about it, you already have your luggage on you.

Good Luck!

Same here. Did the same thing on Sunday. We waited a few minutes after we saw people walking down the gangway & just as we were gathering our luggage in the room, they called for decks 1, 2, and 12. Well, our group would have been 30 minutes later & we went ahead and left. Walked to the forward stairway and made our way down - out in a matter of minutes. If you can manage it, it is SO much easier to carry your stuff down the stairs than try to get an elevator. There were tons of people waiting on every floor for an elevator. I realize not everyone can do this, but we are young & fit, as are our 2 teens and we went from deck 8 to 3 in just a minute or two.

We do self-assist every time and no problem, you can just leave whenever you would like. We have always been off by 8:00 though. We get out of the room so the steward can clean it.

They call self-assist by deck; usually 2 decks at a time. You don't necessarily HAVE to go if they call your deck first though. You can wait around until you are ready and then go. You must be out of your cabin by a certain time though; not sure exactly what time this is though, as we have always been out by 8. Just remember, you have your luggage with you and must be able to carry it out by yourself (or yourselves).

I hope I used the correct term in the title. We are planning to disembark ourselves from the Carnival Glory in New York. Having never done this before I was wondering if you have to get off the ship in the first group, or can we wait until the time is right for us to leave? We will be storing our luggage at a place that doesn't open until 8:00, and I noticed someone posted in a review that they were able to disembark at 7:00, which would really be too early for us. Thanks for any help you might give.

Self-assist is--you're using the term correctly--when you take ALL of your bags off the ship at debarkation. They will provide the approximate time of your debarkation the entire day prior, and they'll make an announcement in the morning.

I'm guessing your ship arrives home at port at least in time to begin the debarkation process around 6:30 am. Here's a copy of the debarkation information (pdf) for our cruise on the Dream last month.

Hope this helps! Have a great cruise!

Archived