Advice re evening dress shopping: buy online or in Honolulu?

PJOZ

Hi all,

I am looking for a new evening dress and would like something "sparkly" (sequinned or beaded) but elegant. I live in country Australia and don't have much time to shop in the city, and if I did anything I like there is likely to be $700 plus. I have been looking at newyorkdress and have found a few I like for around $400, but our cruise leaves from Honolulu and I will have time to shop there. I have heard the shopping there is really good, so I'd like your opinions: would you get something online or would you wait and look in Honolulu? Any advice appreciated!

BTW I love reading the threads here and seeing pictures of everyone's dresses. I plan on posting photos when we get back.

Thanks, Penny

Man...that's expensive! I get my "sparkly" dresses on sale at department stores for less than $70 US! Sometimes, much less!

No reason at all to spend that much money on a "once in a while" sort of outfit! EVERYTHING in Hawaii is expensive...it all has to be shipped in....no bargains there. Get online, if you can, and check out sales....it could be much cheaper, even if you have to pay to return something that doesn't fit.....not a fan of online, but if it's a savings......

An evening dress isn't something I would buy online as the fit can be questionable. I would buy things like t-shirts on line but not an evening outfit. Hawaii can be expensive but not nearly as expensive as you are stating so you might be able to find something. Aren't you able to find some discounted/cheaper evening wear where you live?

I love formal evenings on cruises but I try not to pay too much as I don't wear these garments in my every day life. Once in awhile I have paid a premium and that was just because I found something I really, really loved.

Hawaii is very casual so beaded and sparkly might be kind of hard to find. I never needed anything like that when we lived there so I’m not sure. Ala Moana would probably be your best bet, although many of the shops are high end so it could get pricey. The Waikele Outlets might be another option. There might be also be a couple of other little shops near Aloha Tower or Ward. Hope this helps!

If you can buy an evening gown/dress and have it fit fine (lucky duck!), you could fine some great dresses in Honolulu. There is a automatic mark up (about 20% because your in Hawaii and everything is shipped there!) and tax is only 4.5% but you're still looking at far less than $700!

Your best bet will probably be Ala Moana Shopping Center. You'll be docking at Aloha Tower but there's only one or two dress shops there (and they're more expensive). Ala Moana is only about 1.5 miles from Aloha Tower so you could walk if you wanted to, but otherwise, grab a taxi and head to Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Check out Cache - they have beautiful dresses there. Its near Macys and Shirokiya, 2nd floor. There are a few more dress shops on the 2nd and 3rd floor - the 1st floor doesn't have much, if anything.

Grab a snack at Shirokiya before heading to the beach or Waikiki or whatever you're doing! Its a Japanese market and when we have family and friends come out to visit, we always take them there. There is a lot of flavors and smells and visitors shy away from it but at least walk through and maybe buy something if you want! Also, the bubble drinks are amazing!

Have fun dress shopping! My sisters and I always found our prom and evening dresses at Ala Moana!

Hi,

Another tip from a fellow Aussie - I buy a lot (A LOT) of stuff on asos (google to find). They stock thousands and thousands of clothing items.

They ship to Australia for free from the UK and they have some really beautiful stuff in lots of different styles. There may not be heaps and heaps of beautifully beaded items but there will definitely be a few. And they will be cheaper than $400.

Also they go on sale a lot.

Might be a little hard to navigate as a website sometimes. I'd recommend searching key words on there as well as going to Women, then dresses, then evening dresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. Asos and light in the box are awesome! Will keep an eye on them and if nothing turns up there I will look in Hawaii, if worst comes to worst I have a couple of other ones to wear. Would rather wait till I see something I love then I know I will always be happy to wear them.

Penny

Just got back from a Hawaii cruise. In April.

All the PAX hit Hilo Hattie to buy dresses.

You can get there with a free bus from Waikiki beach.

On the dress up day about halve of the PAX wore Hawaii dresses. Some even match the shirt of their husband.

Hit the sales rack. I bought 3 summer dresses and a shirt for about 70 dollar and even got a free coffee mug.Thats all I wore for the rest off the cruise. They are easy to wash and dry in a hurry.

Don't bring fancy winter dress up for the evening.

Hawaii cruises are very informal and fun, fun, fun.

On my way from San Diego to Hawaii 5 sea days and I learned the Hula. On the way back the Ukelle.

You could check out the Ala Moana Center (mall) website and look at the store directory. Then, check out some of the stores online to view their selection of women's fashions.

I really like this open air mall in Honolulu...prices and selection are great compared to Canada.

We took a free shuttle to Walmart in Honolulu from Aloha Tower where likely your ship will dock. After a bit of shopping there, we strolled about 3 blocks to the mall and then took a taxi back to the ship with all of our purchases.

Cheers.

Archived