Snorkeling and turtles, best place from the beach

mcmarya

I've been searching the threads trying to figure out the best place to go. We were there last during January and even the west coast beaches were too stirred up to see anything. We may return in early December this time and would like to snorkel from shore and possibly swim out to see the turtles (or take a cheap boat ride, if necessary). It sounds like Paynes Bay and Carlisle Bay are the best for turtles. In which location are they most likely to be close to shore?

Where is snorkeling the best? How about Folkestone Park? If we go to Carlisle Bay or Payne's bay, where on those bays is the snorkeling the best?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from Barbados. We went to Paynes Bay and swam out to swim with turtles. There are constantly catamarans coming in to feed the turtles, so the turtles congregate there. I do not know how easy it would be to find turtles without the catamarans, but since they came constantly, the turtles stuck around. Other than the turtles, Paynes Bay did not seem to have much snorkeling. However, neither did Carlisle. We spent the end of the day at Carlisle, which, from what we saw, was a nice sand beach but no snorkeling.

well it is finally getting within a reasonable time frame & I am revieing my plans.

We booked a 1 hour snorkel from a boat that is taking divers to the wrecks. I have 2 concerns I hope you can help me with.

The boat is in waist to chest deep water to board & we can't use a ladder as it is too shallow. How hard is it to get intothe boat & how does one do it?

The trip takes from 11:30-1:30. which cuts up the day. We can do Rockley Beach in the am & wanted to do Bathesda in the pm but that leaves no time for town, shopping anything else.

Suggestions on wether to do the snorkel or cancel & be happy with Rockley.

PS We are snorkeling at St. Lucua & Dominica.Not snorkeling St Maarten or St. Thomas

Thanks for your opinions

I’m of the opinion that you should modify the hours of that snorkel tour. 11:30-1:30 will just cripple you for Bathsheba (the east coast).

I’d change the tour to 8 or 9am or cancel. There are tons of freelancers that’ll take you out to the wrecks and turtles for US$20-30/each. Just taxi or bus anywhere along Carlisle or north to Holetown and you’ll find them.

Now, you’ll be done by 11, taxi to Bathsheba. Lunch there, head west to Speightstown and then south toward the cruise terminal. You can then spend some time at the beach relaxing or shopping in B-town (no great bargains there, I assure you) and you’ll be within 15 minutes of the ship so it is easy to bide your time.

Frankly, I’d just hire a taxi as soon as you get off the ship and keep him for the whole day. They know all of the places and all of the people that have boats.

They can hook you up!

Please don’t miss our east coast. I guarantee it will be the highlight of your visit.

My best wishes for a wonderful holiday on the island! :)

I found this name on the Barbados Boards for a taxi driver for the day

Tyrone at tiatonagi@yahoo.com

This is the email I received: My name is Tyrone Griffith and I want to thank you for choosing Barbados as a destination.

I can accommodate you on these sites for $120 U.S dollars for that day. You get to stay as long as you want at any site and leave when you are ready. No hurry,no rush. This is the service I offer and you can start as soon as the ship docks or set your start time. No problem either way. You decide.

I will meet you at MILLY'S BAR and this is outside the cruise terminal near the souvenir shops. I need your last name so that I can display your name on a placard I carry.

When I do beaches I request payment on arrival at the beach and I will explain

. I took 4 persons to a beach and returned 15 minutes before pickup time. I have not seen or heard from those visitors. Experience is wonderful teacher so to avoid a repeat I encourage persons to be enthused about my first stop payment plan.

Any further questions or queries? Please do not hesitate to ask..

Until next time,take care and be safe

Tyrone.

What do you think? I feel the cost is more than reasonable however, if I pay the full amount & he doesn't come back after our first stop which is a beach.....

Got back this past weekend from our Carnival Victory cruise and when we stopped in Barbados, we took a cab to The Boatyard on Carlisle ($10 by cab for the both of us) and within minutes had a guy offer to take us out to feed the turtles and snorkel the shipwreck for $20 a head. Included rum punches and snorkel gear. About a dozen of us, all from the cruise ship (but didn't know each other) took him up on his offer.

Got back this past weekend from our Carnival Victory cruise and when we stopped in Barbados, we took a cab to The Boatyard on Carlisle ($10 by cab for the both of us) and within minutes had a guy offer to take us out to feed the turtles and snorkel the shipwreck for $20 a head. Included rum punches and snorkel gear. About a dozen of us, all from the cruise ship (but didn't know each other) took him up on his offer.

How was it?

I'm interested to know how it was as well.

We have booked a driver for the day & want to snorkel the area where the 5 ship wrecks are for an hour. Was this where you went?

It was great! Got to see a few turtles and only snorkled one shipwreck. It was about an hour but it felt longer.

Several people actually approached us about doing an excursion with them here - the boat we finally settled on was, I believe, called The Boysterous. Have their brochure at home and will check later.....

It was great! Got to see a few turtles and only snorkled one shipwreck. It was about an hour but it felt longer.

Several people actually approached us about doing an excursion with them here - the boat we finally settled on was, I believe, called The Boysterous. Have their brochure at home and will check later.....

Herfnerd-Thanks! This excursion you just negoiated on the beach? I've read that operators offer $20 PP snorkel trips right from the beach. Hoping we can do something like that.

Herfnerd-Thanks! This excursion you just negoiated on the beach? I've read that operators offer $20 PP snorkel trips right from the beach. Hoping we can do something like that.

Yuppa - right on the beach! Paid our $12 to enter The Boatyard and hadn't even gotten our towels on the loungers before they started coming up to us! Started out offering tours for $25 but when we said we might in a bit, they lowered it to $20!

That sounds awesome! Way better than booking a turtle snorkeling tour for $75 to $100 PP!

After snorkeling were you able to get a lounger & that drink for the 12 you paid the boatyard?

Thank you for the info! AND thank you for saving me & the DW $$$!!!:)

Yuppa! We actually left our towels on the lounge chairs and took our backpacks - they were not disturbed when we returned. We were the only ship in port that day so I'm not sure if that would have been the case if there were more ships visiting and more people at The Boatyard

And yes - we got our drink from The Boatyard when we returned - they give you a wristband to wear when you pay the admission so they know you are allowed there - it has a small "tag" the bartenders tear off to get you your free drink. Only get a choice of local beers, soda, water, rum punch or a rum drink called the "Shark Fin" - my wife and I can vouch that the Shark Fin was pretty good, if only a bit light on the rum.....

• 1 year later...
I found this name on the Barbados Boards for a taxi driver for the day

Tyrone at tiatonagi@yahoo.com

This is the email I received: My name is Tyrone Griffith and I want to thank you for choosing Barbados as a destination.

I can accommodate you on these sites for $120 U.S dollars for that day. You get to stay as long as you want at any site and leave when you are ready. No hurry,no rush. This is the service I offer and you can start as soon as the ship docks or set your start time. No problem either way. You decide.

I will meet you at MILLY'S BAR and this is outside the cruise terminal near the souvenir shops. I need your last name so that I can display your name on a placard I carry.

When I do beaches I request payment on arrival at the beach and I will explain

. I took 4 persons to a beach and returned 15 minutes before pickup time. I have not seen or heard from those visitors. Experience is wonderful teacher so to avoid a repeat I encourage persons to be enthused about my first stop payment plan.

Any further questions or queries? Please do not hesitate to ask..

Until next time,take care and be safe

Tyrone.

What do you think? I feel the cost is more than reasonable however, if I pay the full amount & he doesn't come back after our first stop which is a beach.....

Have you cruised yet? Did you or are you going to use him? Do you assume the $120 is pp or for the day? What type of vehicle?