Anchorage City Tours

dawn.glenn@ns.sympatico.c

Can anyone recommend a good tour of the city of Anchorage?

There is the Anchorage Trolley Tours - http://www.alaskatrolley.com/

Also, the Alaska Native Heritage Center runs shuttles from downtown out to their place - http://www.alaskanative.net/

If you'll be downtown it won't be a bad walk to the Anchorage Museum - http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/

Gray Line of Alaska runs a city tour - http://www.graylinealaska.com/sightseeingtours.cfm#cat17

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks everyone. I also found one through Alaska Tour & Travel. Glaciers....the description is almost identical to the Salmonberry Tours that you suggested. It costs a little more than the Trolley Tours but in reading the description it sounds as though you actually get to get off the bus at Earthquake Park and again on Flattop Mountain. This I think would be a benefit and great photo op. Has anyone done this sort of tour?

We didn't do a tour but did rent bikes on 4th & H street and rode them down on the Anthony Knowles trail to Earthquake park.

We didn't get to use the following coupons 1 complimentary entry with 1 purchase.

I would gladly send one or all if you need them.

These are from Northern Lights and you do not need the entire book to use them unlike the other book .( see descriptions at Northern Lights website)

Alaska Experience to 1964 Earthquake experience

Ruby's Cafe dinner entree

Alaska Aviation museum

Anchorage Museum

Museum of Natural History

pm me with address at duranza at frisc dot com

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone recommend a good tour of the city of Anchorage?

I'm in Anchorage right now for a convention, but came out a few days early to do some sightseeing. We looked at the 26 Glacier Tours, but were a bit pricey.

Instead, we stumbled on a gem - Alaska's Finest Tours. They do offer a land and water tour, but the water part is only until mid-September, but when they described the alternative land tour, we were hooked. It was $79 each, but worth 3 times more. The tour lasted almost 7 hours because Ben, our guide, didn't have an afternoon tour, so he extended it from the usual 4-5 hours. Saw a lot of Anchorage, including the over $3 million artifact collection at the Native Alaska Medical Center (an awesome display, definitely worth a view, and not on your typical tour), saw half a dozen glaciers, caught a glimpse of Denali (it was clear enough for a brief window of time to see it), visited the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort, stopped for a drink of naturally filtered mountain spring water, spotted Beluga whales cavorting along the Turnagain Leg, just saw so much it was incredible. Ben was very knowledgeable and agreeable, willing to take us where we wanted to go or suggest even better alternatives if what we wanted wasn't available (a number of the places close down mid-September). It was a totally awesome experience and all five of us (yes, he does small groups) really enjoyed ourselves! The home base is located right across the street from the Sheraton Hotel on 5th Avenue.

The Trolley tour is nice, but only last about an hour. I even saw a moose !

The trolley leaves from a cool looking log cabin on 4th Avenue at F street. The museum is well worth a look also with its wonderful native Alaska exibits. There is a shopping mall downtown and the #9 bus takes one to the Diamond Center shopping area.

Archived