Longshoreman's strike in N.Y. City

craigers

I'm going to assume if the Longshoreman go on strike along the east coast and N.Y. City Sept.30th that no cruise ships will be leaving their respective ports after that date.Does anybody have more information about this problem?

Guess it depends on if the porters & others who load/unload the ship are members of the union going on strike.

NCL is pretty good about issuing updates of situations that affect their cruises on the front page of their website.

The ILA has been negotiating this since March, the odds of a strike are very slim since it is every Port from Maine to Texas. This is not just cruise ships it is all container ships and freighters as well that would be impacted. I can assure you this will be settled at the 23rd hour (if not sooner). It would be an economic nightmare for the entire country. This is just a game of who gives first.

Sept 30 is a long way away in contract negotiations. A Google search only brings a a few news articles about this. I would not worry.

There is an interesting article in the N.Y. Post about this.

This is the first I have heard about the strike. Will it affect Boston and the other ports where the Canada/New England cruises begin their itinaries?

I wouldn't worry about the Port of Boston. There are several different companies which operate out of Boston including P&O PORTS AMERICA. Plus I do believe this will be resolved before the deadline because the chaos that would ensue if it were not wouldn't shine favorably on the union for doing it. Rest easy... you should be good for your Boston departure. :)

Archived