Is San Pedro CA safe?

Mexidog

We are flying into LA the day before our cruise. Have heard that San Pedro not the safest place to stay. Should we stay out by LAX and go to the docks the next day or is San Pedro safe? Can anyone recomend a hotel?

My family has cruised out of San Pedro many times.

We usually stay at the Sheraton since they will shuttle you to and from the hotel to the docks. There is a great Mexican Restaurant a couple blocks away right on the water that we walk to and from and have never felt uncomfortable. Maybe some areas aren't so go but I felt perfectly safe there.

Hi Mexidog,

We stayed at the Coast Long Beach Hotel in San Pedro and really liked it. The hotel is right on the water, within walking distance to the Queen Mary. We ate dinner at the hotel, looking at the fully lighted Queen Mary. She was beautiful. In the morning, we walked to the QM for breakfast.

We felt perfectly safe.

Bobbie

I live here, and I think the LAX is far more "scary" than San Pedro. There are places in San Pedro that I would not go to even in daylight, however the area around the ship terminal is fairly safe. You are not really near anything other than, well, the ship terminal, but for an overnight it really can't be beat. The only other option I would suggest would be Long Beach (right next to San Pedro), but I'm not certain what the transportation to the terminal would entail.

We stayed at the Coast Long Beach Hotel in San Pedro and really liked it.

The Coast Long Beach Hotel is actually in Long Beach, which is near San Pedro. Our friends are staying there pre-cruise in December... We are staying at the Sheraton in San Pedro (or whatever it is going to be called then. LOL) They both have park & sail packages, but you would need to take a taxi from Long Beach. Long Beach is definitely nicer, but we will be perfectly ok in San Pedro for a one-niter.

SUZIEHMKR

When my family cruises out of Long Beach we generally stay at the Sheraton. There is a nice Mexican Restaurant on the water just a couple of blocks down. Easy walking distance. The name is Alcapulco. There is another one right next door if you are leary of walking

Have a great cruise

We just got back from our Mexican Riviera cruise this past Sunday, and we stayed the day before our cruise at the Holiday Inn in San Pedro. They had a park/cruise pkg that was well worth the $$. They shuttled us to and from the cruise terminal and we parked our car in their security lot. It was so nice not to have to go get the car while someone stayed with the luggage on the curb. It took them 10 mins to pick us up when we called after we picked up our luggage in the terminal.

They also have a great Hawaiian restaurant (in a converted Taco Bell) just 2 doors from the hotel, and a 7-11 across the street (for those forgotten misc. items!). We had our 2 daughters with us, and never felt uncomfortable in or outside of the hotel. I would definately recommend trying them out.

• 2 weeks later...

On our December cruise on Diamond, we flew in LAX a day earlier. We took a rental car from Hertz at LAX, and returned it at Long Beach downtown office. Hertz will reimburse $10 cab fare. They deducted $10 from the rental bill, and called a cab for us.

Taking direct route, the cab costed $16ish - about a full buck was spent in the Terminal area as it had to go thru a huge loop once it got inside, in order to get to the drop off area. I have read someone got socked off by cabdriver from Hyatt Long Beach to San Pedro - running up $30+ taxi fare. I think the cab driver took them for a ride. With us, as the cab is called by Hertz, the driver would know that we KNOW the road to terminal and he took exactly the same route we would have taken had we driven ourselves ...

We preferred to have a rental for a day, as it would give us much greater flexibility and actually costed LESS than the shuttle or cab fare to the hotel when you arrived LAX. Our Hertz rental was $27 in total before the $10 deduction. I believe it would take more than that even on shuttle, from LAX to San Pedro, for 2 persons.

Archived