First time in New England

SS Warringtonia

LOL ok so 20 minutes outside of BOSTON for 35 years doesn't make me a BOSTON RESIDENT ( BOSTONIAN YES ) LOL !! but C'mon DURGIN is awesome ! and agreed the BEST Italian anywhere is in the North end ! ANyway ... Boston is awesome anywhere you can even find mother gooses grave ! hahaha !

"an Island with one tree is as much fun as you create"

HAVE A BLAST !

LOL, now I'll preface these comments by saying that in no way am I trying to insult you BUT..................(and the other poster echoed my comments)

NO ONE, including someone who has lived just outside of town for 35 years, except people who live outside of eastern MA, call it "Beantown" NO ONE!;)

And, again also verified by the other poster, Durgin Park is the worst tourist trap in Boston. Why would you want to go to a place with lousy food and arrogant obnoxious servers who try to live up to their stupid but accurate reputation?????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Actually, I live in Milton, also about 20 mins outside of Boston. My wife is in the restaurant business and knows every good (and bad) restaurant in Boston.

And DP is in the top ten, LOL!:D

And, I love your "handle" and you taught me something I did not know about Boston, the Mother Goose grave thing. Where would that be?

AND, how did you like the performance of our illustrous baseball team this year???:rolleyes:

All this in good fun!!!

And, two cruises in 2 1/2 months! Good for you! See, you are hooked!

ok as for our SOX.... <love em ...BUT eyes are rollin > Mother Goose oh boy.. the graveyard on the hill on the right as you head down to the gardens LOL how is that for descriptive

AND.......... have you tried Geofferys ????? for real, all touristy aside, my ex BIL owns it and it is amazing ! its on FB and you can google it.

YES I AM HOOKED ! Bahamas in Nov and trying to get a FB group of 20 cabins together for april !! (20 cabins booked and me and mine sail free LOL) no dummy here !!:D

ok as for our SOX.... <love em ...BUT eyes are rollin > Mother Goose oh boy.. the graveyard on the hill on the right as you head down to the gardens LOL how is that for descriptive

AND.......... have you tried Geofferys ????? for real, all touristy aside, my ex BIL owns it and it is amazing ! its on FB and you can google it.

YES I AM HOOKED ! Bahamas in Nov and trying to get a FB group of 20 cabins together for april !! (20 cabins booked and me and mine sail free LOL) no dummy here !!:D

I"ll have to check out Geofferys..............anyone who can recommend his ex BIL's restaurant must be telling the truth, LOL!:D

As I recall, the "Mother Goose" grave is in the Granary Burial grounds right by Park St station.

The stone may say it was Mother Goose, but I think that was an urban myth that continues because of the stone, which is just of some lady named Goose. The founding fathers are well represented there, though, Hancock, Sam Adams, Paul Revere, and a bunch of Ben Franklin's family.

Life long metropolitan Bostonian here, and no, nobody says Beantown. And nobody but lazy reporters refers to it as "The Hub," either. Well, maybe drunk sports fans celebrating a win, screaming "Hub a da universe, baby!" at television cameras.

As I recall, the "Mother Goose" grave is in the Granary Burial grounds right by Park St station.

The stone may say it was Mother Goose, but I think that was an urban myth that continues because of the stone, which is just of some lady named Goose. The founding fathers are well represented there, though, Hancock, Sam Adams, Paul Revere, and a bunch of Ben Franklin's family.

Life long metropolitan Bostonian here, and no, nobody says Beantown. And nobody but lazy reporters refers to it as "The Hub," either. Well, maybe drunk sports fans celebrating a win, screaming "Hub a da universe, baby!" at television cameras.

Drunken sports fan in Boston???!!!! don't think I've ever witnessed that!;)

And, now that i think of it, I can't remember ever hearing anyone calling it the "hub". LOL, hub of what?????:rolleyes:

Thanks for these suggestions. We will be in Boston first week of Oct. on the Canda/NE cruise. Were planning to eat at Quincy Market as we thought it would be a quick stop on our Freedom Trail walk. However, the Italian restaurants sound great too. Also you mentioned the mile or mile and a half back to the pier. Is it doable from either Boston Common or Quincy Market? Or should we get a cab? Thanks for your help.

Boston has great public transportation but is also considered a walking city. It offers the same things, mostly, as NYC just in smaller quantities and in a smaller area.

Unless you have a strong constitution I would definitely not plan to wear shorts in Boston in October. Then, again, our saying here is "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute." I have seen it drop 30 degrees in two hours in the fall, so do take that advice of layers seriously. And, if you leave the ship in shorts, be sure you bring something warm to layer when the sun is lower in the sky as you will need it.

If you want to see Quincy Market as a tourist site, then do see it. I agree that there are much better places to eat in the city and confirm that the North End is one of them. If you are in Quincy Market, you certainly can walk to the North End. If your goal is to go there straight from the ship, I would take a cab unless you view the walk as a walking tour of Boston.

We do have tourist trolley tours in Boston but I would suggest the DuckTours if they are still running then instead. It's something a little different and offers a tour by land and sea. You can find more information here:

http://www.bostonducktours.com/tour_main.html

Archived