Air Deviation vs choose your own

2poolesrus

I always book my cruises with no air included, to reduce the deposit amount. Then I add air later on.

I believe that's a difference between Regent and Oceania. Oceania is a flat deposit and Regent is a percentage. So I usually leave the air on Oceania until I am sure that I'm not going to use it and then have it removed before the final payment. Unless "O' has changed since I put down my last deposit in March.

Ah, hadn't thought of that. For my upcoming O cruise, my TA just did it that way. In fact, she suggested I'd do better doing my own air, but since it's a one-way fare, I'm almost certain to go with the Oceania air this time, including a deviation. But I'm not bothering to look into it until the winter, since our crossing is still more than a year out.

I believe that's a difference between Regent and Oceania. Oceania is a flat deposit and Regent is a percentage. So I usually leave the air on Oceania until I am sure that I'm not going to use it and then have it removed before the final payment. Unless "O' has changed since I put down my last deposit in March.

It depends on which type of accommodations you are reserving:

112514.jpg

Ah, hadn't thought of that. For my upcoming O cruise, my TA just did it that way. In fact, she suggested I'd do better doing my own air, but since it's a one-way fare, I'm almost certain to go with the Oceania air this time, including a deviation. But I'm not bothering to look into it until the winter, since our crossing is still more than a year out.

Hard to believe you'd be better of doing your own air for a one way ticket. They are ridiculously expensive nowadays.

I needed a one way ticket from Rome to Phoenix for May 2013. The fares for coach (one stop) were more than $1600 pp! I ended up using miles to fly business class (only 50k miles per ticket on United). I had to pay $350 to top off our miles so I would have enough but paying $350 for 2 bus class tickets was a lot better than 3000 for 2 coach tickets.

We have done just that, successfully.

There are however, several variables involved:

1) Research the price, availability and schedule of Flights with upgrade-able seats BEFORE committing to Oceania. You'll need a working knowledge of what the airline is selling in order to use the Oceania system profitably.

2) Once you have decided to go with Oceania, YOU MUST PAY THE DEVIATION FEE in order to specify that Oceania purchase an upgrade-able class of ticket on your behalf.

There may be an upcharge for this, based on the cost of non-upgrade-able tickets versus upgrade-able tickets.

3) Some Airlines (Delta comes to mind) require that you be physically ticketed BEFORE any upgrades may be purchased. If this is the case with your Airline of choice, then you must plan to make Final Payment on your Cruise at the time when you wish to upgrade your Flights.

4) After Oceania has purchased the Economy Tickets, the upgrade itself is handled between passenger and Airline.

Hope that this helped!

Yes, I think the key point is what fare class you get from Oceania and what fare class is necessary for an upgrade.

Yesterday I spoke with Oceania air dept. and they said ," the fare code that we offer at no cost, is a contract fare, that is not upgradeable"

On the London to Hawaii trip in question, Oceania said that it would be an additional $5000, plus the $150 devation fee per person. I did not inquire what it would cost for a different fare code in economy that would allow me to upgrade.

Looking at the big picture, it appears that using Oceania air for the Hawaii to Tahiti portion saves me over $1000pp My return flight from London would be a throwaway and I would just use miles for a ticket.

That is, unless Oceaina would give me a partial credit for not wanting the London to Hawaii return.

Has anyone ever requested a partial credit for only a 1 way rather than a RT/ ???:rolleyes:

...Has anyone ever requested a partial credit for only a 1 way rather than a RT/ ???:rolleyes:

I guess you could call it a partial credit...let me explain.

Most people need round trip air (whether from Oceania or booked themselves) for a TransAtlantic from Miami, because they first have to get to Miami from wherever they live, then need to get back home from the end of the voyage.

Because Miami is my home airport, I only need a one-way ticket (from Barcelona, in the case that involved me) back to Miami. I had not included air at first, but as time went on and I reviewed my flight costs, I requested a deviation proposal from Oceania's Air Department. Their proposal took into account the fact that I only needed a flight in one direction. Remember that I had not previously included the air, so no credit was due, but the amount added to my invoice was less than it would have been if I needed round-trip air.

In other words, the final fare was more than the "no-air" amount, but less than the "full-air" amount. So, in bookkeeping terms, it amounted to a credit.

If you have already contracted for full air, then determine (before final payment and before any deviation) that you only need a one-way fare, I think it would be worth pursuing a partial credit.

I will do that... it cost me 20,000 miles+ $500 to get an up grade plus the increase fare for the higher code, plus the air devation fee. Where as for on 37,000 miles more I could get a 1 way business for only $280 ( england tax).

I horde my miles for just such a situation and thus have 700K stashed.

The Oceania free aire however is outstanding. In my case flying to Tahiti can be done in flights under 8 hour legs..marginal in coach if I drink a lot.

However Europe to Hawaii is 11 hour legs which require business as a minimum, and a lie flat seat to retain sanity. ( Australia and Singapore are 14-15 hour and require first in my book)

I will call and ask, then report back the results

Thanks to you all

As promised, I have an answer. If you only want a one way then you get 50% of the air credit for that specific cruise.. ( per Oceania today)

It it is $800 credit and you use only one way... then $ 400 off the cruise price

As to the price difference between a contract fare and an upgradeable fare for a specific airline, Oceania will only quote a price after you have booked the cruise, but prior to paying the $150 dev. fee. So you have an option.

Thanks for the clarification. I've never been higher than Penthouse and should have specified that in my response. Maybe someday I'll get to pay the 20% deposit.:)

We started in Penthouses...butlers and the whole nine yards. It dawned on us that we could take longer. and more frequent cruises if we down sized to cheaper diggs. When all is said and done we found little need to have all that space and service as outside the cabin we had it all in spades !

It was very ego satisifying, but thats it..no real personal value to me.

Id rather have a bunk in the bilge for 60 days than an Owners suite for a 2 weeks.

Archived