Review of Cruise and Independent Land Tour with photos

Twinkd

Love your review and pictures...thank you for sharing! We were on the Sapphire Princess early August and could not get close to Hubbard Glacier, but we did get close to Marjorie in Glacier Bay and we, like you were out in all of our layers in some pretty cold rain watching with wonder.

Love your comments about the amount of photos you took.....I took 850 and got it down to 700 and my family thinks I am crazy for taking so many pictures.....so glad to know there are people that have taken more! LOL! It was our first trip to Alaska and we would love to go back!

Thanks again....incredible pictures!

Hope you are going to review your land trip as well......anxious to hear all about it! We did a 4 day land tour through Princess, but I would love to rent a car and do it on our own sometime.

Love your review and pictures...thank you for sharing! We were on the Sapphire Princess early August and could not get close to Hubbard Glacier, but we did get close to Marjorie in Glacier Bay and we, like you were out in all of our layers in some pretty cold rain watching with wonder.

Love your comments about the amount of photos you took.....I took 850 and got it down to 700 and my family thinks I am crazy for taking so many pictures.....so glad to know there are people that have taken more! LOL! It was our first trip to Alaska and we would love to go back!

Thanks again....incredible pictures!

Hope you are going to review your land trip as well......anxious to hear all about it! We did a 4 day land tour through Princess, but I would love to rent a car and do it on our own sometime.

Hey there - have not been to Glacier Bay but do love Hubbard Glacier - it is truely amazing!! I am definitely doing a review of the land portion - it was fantastic and soo beautiful. Both times now we have done the land component of our trip independently and have really enjoyed both the planning and the actual trip. Land Review coming up next!! More amazing photos!!

:D Your families would think I'm nuts. 11 days, about 4,400 pictures. :eek:

Excellent photos, especially the Hubbard Glacier calving.

Hey there - yep the photos thing is pretty amazing. On our first trip I took 4000 photos and only 2900 this time!! There are so many beautiful things to photograph - thank godness for digital cameras!!!:)

Today we are off the ship - boo - and starting our land tour - yahoo!!

Up early early early today – off ship at 6am. Early morning wake up call at 5.15am – up, dressed and in disembarkment area by 5.45am. Bags were packed and put out last night so really hoping to find them when we arrive at the other end of the train trip. This would actually be most helpful!! Disembarkment went well and was stress-free. Then it was onto the train to Anchorage with no probs. Inner Exercise Demon is sullen and sulky today as she will definitely NOT be making an appearance!!

The train ride was fabulous with lovely scenery – Alaska has 120,000 glaciers and we saw several of them during our ride. Can you believe that??? 120,000?? Puts our two to shame!!

DSC07339_zps948edb3a.jpg

DSC07364_zps212ee27c.jpg

DSC07372_zps3b5b6152.jpg

DSC07386_zps2841c964.jpg

DSC07395_zpsc989098d.jpg

DSC07399_zpsbb6b74e0.jpg

The scenery was amazing!!!

Some of the scenery from the train:

DSC07431_zps1d8a3969.jpg

DSC07444_zpsd7f208bb.jpg

DSC07448_zpscb99eb63.jpg

DSC07456_zps6f5778f9.jpg

The train goes right into Anchorage Airport so very handy for those catching a flight home although I believe most flights are in the evening so there would be a bit of hanging around involved. We had arranged a rental car so after a short taxi ride to Enterprise we picked up our Dodge Explorer – much to DH’s delight!! (We had decided to take the train to Anchorage and then to drive back to Seward 1. Because we wanted to do the train ride and 2. Because the drop off fee to a different location for the rental car was horrendous!!) Easily maneuvered our way to the Seward Highway – DH driving and me directing which strangely enough works really well – as long as he remembers the importance of doing what he is told, which, in this instance, he did.

The drive back to Seward was again lovely but we were both exhausted and ready to go to bed once we arrived.

DSC07458_zpse07a57b2.jpg

DSC07461_zps9970f2a5.jpg

Yet another Glacier!!!

DSC07463_zpscd1e1abe.jpg

DSC07466_zps2fcf5ad5.jpg

DSC07474_zps757d8072.jpg

Seward harbour - lots and lots of boats!!!

DSC07479_zps0e6ca43c.jpg

And yet another Glacier!!!!

. Unfortunately when we arrived we were informed that we couldn’t check in yet as the elevator was broken and we were on the second floor. What??? Seriously?? Have these people not heard of stairs??? We were told that it would be repaired very shortly and they suggested perhaps going for a drive or having a free coffee in the Lobby. We opted to head out and check out Miller’s Landing where we are booked for a Kayaking Trip tomorrow – my Inner Exercise Demon stretched and stirred at the thought.

After checking out the Kayaking place, we headed to the Supermarket and picked up some snacks. When we arrived back at the Holiday Inn Express we checked in only to discover our room was on the Ground Floor – what that was all about is anybody’s guess!! Into bed by 8pm and slept like a log.

Love your review and look forward to your land portion. We just spent 7 days on the Kenai Peninsula pre-cruise in June. Loved it! can't wait to see where you are going.

Hey there - sorry just realised that I had not told you all where we went!!! Right here goes:

Got off the ship and took the train to Anchorage, picked up rental car and drove back to Seward - stayed 2 nights.

Drove to Homer and stayed 2 nights.

Drove to Girdwood and stayed at the Alyeska Lodge for 1 night then drove the short drive to Anchorage.

Stayed in Anchorage for 3 nights then caught the train to Fairbanks. We had previously visited Denali Park so decided to give it a miss this time around.

Spent 2 nights in Fairbanks and picked up another rental car then drove out to Chena Springs and stayed there for 2 nights.

We then drove back to Fairbanks for one more night before flying out and back to Vancouver for another week before flying to Las Vegas for 5 nights before sadly flying home and back to the realities of life and the credit card!!!:confused:

Up early again today - 6am - to be at Miller’s Landing for Kayaking by 6.45. My Inner Exercise Demon was doing pirroettes in her ballet shoes and cartwheels in her gym shoes in anticipation of our outing today. The weather was gorgeous and we watched the sun come up – I have to admit that this is not something I usually witness and it was lovely. But probably not lovely enough that I would want to see it again tomorrow!!

After a short safety briefing we were in our double Kayaks and we were off into the water. We had quite a large group of 9 kayaks but it was a great trip. We kayaked to a waterfall, landed and hiked up to see it. Well hike is probably a little strong of a word – it was more like a leisurely stroll but hike does sound just sooo much better!! After a short break at the falls we kayaked back again – the whole excursion took about four hours and I enjoyed it although it was not really very challenging in the exercise department!!

P8120003.jpg

Millers Landing Kayaking

P8120005.jpg

The Briefing - all keen to take off!!

P8120009.jpg

Me in my Kayak in Resurrection Bay

P8120020.jpg

The View across the Bay

P8120021.jpg

The Waterfall.

P8120025.jpg

Love it. Keep it coming. Did I miss something? What dates did you do all of this?

I wouldn't think you would be there right now writing this review as I would think it would be getting quite chilly up there for kayaking, etc.

I hope it was clear when you were in Homer and could see the view of the Homer Spit from the top of the mountain road. Those mountains are so beautiful across Kachemak Bay.

Let us know where you stayed in Homer, etc. What restaurants did you eat at and your review of them.

Thanks.

Love it. Keep it coming. Did I miss something? What dates did you do all of this?

I wouldn't think you would be there right now writing this review as I would think it would be getting quite chilly up there for kayaking, etc.

I hope it was clear when you were in Homer and could see the view of the Homer Spit from the top of the mountain road. Those mountains are so beautiful across Kachemak Bay.

Let us know where you stayed in Homer, etc. What restaurants did you eat at and your review of them.

Thanks.

We left New Zealand on the 31st July and arrived in Vancouver on the 31st July a few hours earlier!!! We started our cruise on 3rd August and arrived in Seward on the 10th August. We travelled around then flew back to Vancouver on the 23rd August.

Sorry no update tonight - have been called into work - Yuckky!!! - mind you will help to pay off the credit card!!! Will attempt an update tomorrow!!

Back to the hotel and into the pool for a quick soak before we headed into town for a stroll around then back to the hotel for a nanny nap again. Enjoyed watching some Olympics on the TV and also learning that the Kiwi’s have won 14 medals and the Chiefs beat the Sharks – Wahoo how friggen awesome is that???

Tonight we ate at Ray’s Waterfront Restaurant. We had to wait 45mins for a table but it was worth it. We had yummy scallops and then I had a seafood dish whist DH had the Ribs – both delicious.

Day 3 on land and today we drove from Seward to Homer and what a gorgeous drive – the scenery is spectacular. The mountains and National Parks are just amazing.

DSC07519.jpg

DSC07520.jpg

Mount Redoubt

DSC07523.jpg

Mount Redoubt

DSC07527.jpg

DSC07533.jpg

DSC07535.jpg

The scenery was spectacular!!!!

Lots of photos taken – yes family and friends – even more for the visual extravaganza!!

Before we left Seward we phoned the woman who we had rented our accommodation in Homer from as had been previously arranged but only got her answerphone so just left a message that we were on our way. Once we arrived in Homer we tried to phone her again but still no reply. After leaving five messages, we were thinking it may just be easier to stay somewhere else. We went down to the Homer Spit – what an awesome wee place.

DSC07561.jpg

The Welcome to Homer Sign

DSC07566.jpg

View from the top of the hill coming into Homer.

DSC07567.jpg

Homer Spit.

DSC07589.jpg

Some of the Homer Shops - so quaint!!

DSC07608.jpg

Homer Spit

It feels a bit like you have stepped back in time with all the quaint little seaside shops. It was a hive of activity with people and cars everywhere. Parked our car – beside a sign that said no long term parking, no longer than 7 days (we chuckled at that) – then headed out for a wander around. Lots of people milling around and boats coming in with fishermen loaded down with their day’s catch.

DSC07609.jpg

After this we headed to the visitor information centre and after the lovely lady there made a few phone calls we finally contacted the woman about our accommodation and headed out there. We stayed at the Glacier Vista which was a wee way out of town but was directly across the harbor from a massive Glacier and the view was spectacular. Once we had unpacked some of our stuff we headed out for a bite to eat. Snuggled down in bed by 11pm and VERY excited – tomorrow is “Bear Day”!!

Now just let me remind you about how DH and I differ in our keenness/desire to experience different things. DH sort of just cruises through life with very defined boundaries – there are some things he is happy to do and others that he won’t have a bar of. He is very black and white whilst I am a “try anything once” kinda chick – there is not too much that I won’t try at least once although I don’t often put my hand up to eat weird things!!! Anyway that said – DH was not the instigator of this Bear trip and he was definitely stepping out of his comfort zone – one, he doesn’t like flying and two, being in a paddock with a killing machine that has been known to kill and eat humans, he thought I was insane to even suggest it let alone book the trip!! And still, here we were driving to Emerald Air to board a tiny sea plane to fly out to the Katmai National Park to go and check out Grizzly Bears. To say I was excited is similar to saying the Grand Canyon is a wee hole in Arizona!! I was beyond excited!!

DSC07633.jpg

DSC07635.jpg

DSC07649.jpg

Emerald Air is run by Sarah and Craig and they were awesome. There were 6 people on our trip – us and 2 couples from Holland. We squeezed into the little plane and were on our way. Now squeezed was the ultimate word – we all became quite intimate – crammed in like sardines. The flight was about 75 mins and before we knew it we were at Katmai National Park (although DH was VERY happy to arrive and only just managed to keep his brekkie down).

Within minutes of arrival we saw our first two bears – WOW!! We walked a short way and watched the 2 bears who Sarah informed us were sisters about 4 years old and they were having their first year away from their mum. They played with one another for a wee while then curled down for a wee nap – soo cute.

DSC07664.jpg

"Come on follow me"

DSC07670.jpg

"Lets Rumble"

DSC07672.jpg

Archived