Did Emerald Princess miss Greenland?

diplomats

I was on the Emerald last year for her 18-day repositioning (Copenhagen - Ft. Lauderdale) when we missed Christansand, Norway due the tail end of a hurricane crossing the North Sea. We were taking spray over the top... 19 decks up! At one point, I went to go up to the Lido buffet and noticed the aft elevators weren't working. On my way up the stairs, I met a flood of water coming down. As a retired professional mariner, this cause me some concern. I couldn't figure it out - there was no way we taking green water that high up and no amount of spray would do that - until I realised it was pool water that had 'sloshed out' and come inside (it was running down the elevator shafts too - that's why they weren't working).

On any cruise there is no guarantee you will 'make' all the ports. Of course, it's more likely to happen on certain itineraries at certain times of the year. However, it can happen for a multitude of reasons, anywhere anytime. If you cancel a cruise due the possibility of missing a port, you'll never cruise (and I guarantee you won't make the port)... LOL.

I'll point out sometimes port calls are added to cruises. I was on the old, Ocean Princess from San Juan to Vancouver in 2001 when we unexpectedly stopped at Balboa, Panama to bunker fuel. We got to go ashore for the evening... a nice 'bonus'... and no port charges!

I. If you cancel a cruise due the possibility of missing a port, you'll never cruise!

but some cruises have a much higher percentage of that risk...

I try to avoid those..and it seems that the Iceland, Greenland TA area is one of them...So we are going to pick areas near there and do them by land trips:D

To the OP...I'm on the Emerald Princess now and we did not stop in Greenland due to the forecast for very unruly seas and icebergs in the area. We were advised that we would go directly from Iceland to St. John's Newfoundland (where we stopped today) and then to Saint John New Brunswick (sea day in between).

).

Next time you see the ship's orchestra, specifically the trumpet player, please say "Hi" from Mom and we look forward to seeing him in Boston Friday.

Archived