First cruise with the kids questions

lagbunch8

My husband and I would like to take our kids on their first cruise.(they will be 12,11,9,7,5,5) I am looking at the Mariner in april 2007 eastern(RCCL). The freedom(RCCL) might be nice but I don't want a western for the kids. First, does anyone know if the next Freedom class will have an eastern? Should I wait to book and see? If not should I book the Mariner now for 4/07 or wait to book it when my husband and I are cruising next(4/06) for the on board credit? We will need 2 connecting oceanveiw rooms. Do these book up quick? Am I crazy for even taking all of them with me :) ? My husband thinks they may be too young to enjoy the cruise fully. Any thoughts? It's either the cruise or Cedar Point. Thank you for any imput you may have.

We took our 4 & 6 year old granddaughters on their first cruise last December--they loved it so much that they are going again (twice) in November! It was really enjoyable--and I can't wait to do it again!

We've taken our 7yo on 2 cruises and our 3 yo on 1; they loved it and still talk about the one from this past Feb everyday. We had the 7yo keep a journal and make an entry each day, so he made his own keepsake.

We sailed RCL once and NCL once, the freestyle dining on NCL was great compared to the set dining times on RCL, if they still do that. Just my $.02.

Definately not too young!

I'd be a bit frightened at the prospect of travelling with six kids (we are taking our 10YO niece along with our 10YO DD on our next trip and travelling with two has ME concerned), but I'm certain you are used to the big brood by now :) Have a great time.

Those are great ages to enjoy the cruise - especially on the ships you mention. We always get connecting cabins, and they can be a little harder to come by. One thought is, if you can afford to be out the deposit for a while, to book the cabins on the cruise you think you will take and then if something better comes along, you can always cancel with no penalty up until 75 days before sailing. Also, they will adjust your price if the prices drop.

• 1 month later...

for your replies. Computer was down for a while and I am just reading your posts now. We did book 2 connecting rooms on the MOS for 4/07 yeah! We can't wait and I am sure the kids will have a ball. Thanks again for your replies.

I can't fathom the idea of HAVING six kids, yet alone traveling with them! We have only two, and yours are al prefect ages for most cruises. Keep in mind that if you go when school is in session, there won't be as many kids. I love the idea of cruising with kids, because the older ones can have freedom to move about on their own, without my being afraid that someone is going to kidnap them or something!

I also can't imagine packing for 6 kids...I don't think many lines have coin laundry facilities!

Good luck to you!

I agree with the majority of posters here--those are great ages to introduce kids to cruising! They are all old enough to be in the kids programs if they want to be, the youngest ones are old enough to remember the cruise, and the oldest are not old enough to be drawn into the disrespectful-loud-and-annoying set.

And good on you for having a large family and being proud of them!

If you are concerned about self-service laundry facilities, you can check out your cruiseline's website for the specific ship. They will list the features and facilities there. And check out the deck plans too to see where the kids' center is (you may want to be close by aft or stern-wise).

When you tell somebody you are going on a cruise, do they ask "Are you taking the kids?", or "Are you going without the kids"?

We have been been married 11 yrs. Our kids are 11, 6, and 11 months. We have never taken a vacation without the kids. We basically go away once a year, for a week to 10 days. We dont do weekend trips, just one long one during the summer.

For me,(this is always a touchy subject on many boards), I couldnt go on vacation without my kids.

2 yrs ago we went on a 4 nite cruise on RC with my parents, and my brothers family, of course we had all the kids there(except my 11 month old, wasnt born yet LOL ;) )

We have planned a cruise on Carnival for Aug 2006. When I tell people we are going on another cruise, they ask "You taking the kids too?".. to me its a stupid question, "of course the kids are coming, I wouldnt have it any other way..."

Do you ever get asked this question?

When you tell somebody you are going on a cruise, do they ask "Are you taking the kids?", or "Are you going without the kids"?

We have been been married 11 yrs. Our kids are 11, 6, and 11 months. We have never taken a vacation without the kids. We basically go away once a year, for a week to 10 days. We dont do weekend trips, just one long one during the summer.

For me,(this is always a touchy subject on many boards), I couldnt go on vacation without my kids.

2 yrs ago we went on a 4 nite cruise on RC with my parents, and my brothers family, of course we had all the kids there(except my 11 month old, wasnt born yet LOL ;) )

We have planned a cruise on Carnival for Aug 2006. When I tell people we are going on another cruise, they ask "You taking the kids too?".. to me its a stupid question, "of course the kids are coming, I wouldnt have it any other way..."

Do you ever get asked this question?

All the time??? I always cruise with the kid!!! we have a blast, as a mater of fact I have set up a group cruise just for familys and kids!!!! This was mainly for him!!! Come join us and Bring The KIDS!!!!

Chuck

We get the "what are you going to do with your daughter" question ALL the time - and the answer always is "she's coming with".

I wouldn't dream of travelling without her. All of our trips (land or cruise) are so much more enjoyable with her company. It's a great "excuse" to act silly, try out the water slides, etc. It's also very enlightening to see things from her perspective.

We always take our boys with us also. They are family vacations! We will be taking our first cruise in August and people will ask us if we are taking the kids. When they say yes many of them ask if the ship has a good kids program, which I reply I don't know, they we be with us all the time. If we didn't want to spend the time with our boys we could save a lot of money and just leave them with grandma!

I have three boys--youngest is now 20- I still get asked if my kids are coming with me on my next cruise. (they did not last time...nor as they the next time but definely for the one after that)

We have taken our boys(6 & 11) on 3 cruises so far (last one was an Alaskan cruise last June) They love it. We are now going on our 4th as a family and 5th on Rcl. My husband and I went on the Voyager for our 10th anniversary and want to take the kids on voyager class when they get a little older. Vision class works for us. Your kids will love it. Not only will they have a chance to meet new friends, you will probaby have to drag them off the ship.

Anne

Got back from the NCL Dawn with our kids (2 and 7) about 2 weeks ago. The 7yo we hardly ever saw!!! He loved the Kid Crew so much he wanted to be there all the time. And, our 2yo came back from the Kid Crew singing new songs and talking about all the other kids. She loved it, too!!! We had an absolute blast with our kids and can't wait to go with them again!!!

My kids are 18 and 15. They have been going on cruises with us since they were 8 and 5. As a matter of fact that is the only vacation we go on.

Cruises are the best.

Your kids will have so much fun!

My kids are 18 and 15. They have been going on cruises with us since they were 8 and 5. As a matter of fact that is the only vacation we go on.

Cruises are the best.

Your kids will have so much fun!

I totaly agree this is the only way we go on vacation now!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took my husband and I 10 years to even do an over night with out the kids. That was our first cruise(MOS 6/04). I took a cruise in April 05(NOS) with my sister(no husband or kids) and I really did not have as much fun as I thought I would. I just kept thinking "the kids would really enjoy this and that". So, that is why I booked the family cruise for April 07. I keep pushing back the Italy trip my husband and I have been planning but, I figure my kids are only going to be young for so long. I want to give them as many great "family" memories as I can. I am a little freaked out about the amount of suitcases it will take for 8 people on a 7 night cruise though :) We will work it out.

M

We have now been fortunate enough to have beenon 3 creuises and we have 3 children 16, 15 and 3 . Cruises are perfect for kids we have only been on RCCL and enjoy them so much we are going on a christmas cruise. I cant wait. The kids get to do their thing and we also get to do stuff too. The excursions have been awesome. I highly recommend it . Just be sure and plan ahead and get the rooms you want. Best wishes....:)

Archived