RCL Kennedy Space Center tour

My DH and I will be sailing on the Freedom of the Seas in November. We are flying in to Orlando the day before and will be renting a car and driving to our hotel in Cape Canaveral. We also plan on renting a car after the cruise and exploring the area before our 5 PM flight.

I see that RCL offers a post-cruise excursion to the Kennedy Space Center. It is called the Kennedy Space Center "VIP" Tour (Airport Drop off) - PC01

The description says you tour the restricted areas of the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, including the Apollo/Saturn V Center. The RCL tour with airport drop costs $82. The general admission for one going on their own is $50.

Does anyone know if that tour is different than the admission/tour one would purchase if they went to Kennedy Space Center on their own?

We are trying to decide if the VIP Tour is worth it and if we should cancel our car rental for after the cruise.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I hope you guys get a VERY early start on your excursion. The Space Center is an all day thing, so you will not get a full day there. Considering the price, I would take full advantage of having the whole day.

Does Royal guarantee you will get to the airport on time? I'm wondering how they do this if they had say, 30 people sign up for this excursion with all different flight times.

Personally, I would rent a car and guarantee myself that I make it to the airport on time. Having a 5pm flight at MCO, you need to allow yourself at least 2 1/2 hrs to make your flight from the Space Center. I would allow (if it was me) more time in the event there are any traffic problems, but that's just me. I am very anxious when flying & one of those who likes to arrive and be at the gate an hour before flight time. I just feel better once I get there and through security--peace of mind, I guess.

PS--you can buy tickets in advance for $40 (print at home)

Highly recommend this tour. We did it last year thru RC, but I don't know what was different from a tour you would purchase on your own. In regards to getting to the airport on time, RC won't even let you book this tour unless you have a late afternoon flight (sometime like 4:00 or 4:30). They make sure they get you to the airport on time, and the tour guide asks everyone about their flight times just to be sure everyone does have a late flight.

We have done this tour and it is great, no rental car needed (saving money), and they get you back to MCO prior to flight. If my memory is correct, your flight out of MCO must be no earlier than 4pm for them to guarantee to have you there in time.

Would do this again in a heartbeat.

Tim

We took this tour after our Freedom cruise last November and it was great, I highly recommend it.

I don't know if it is different than other tours but it did seem we got to see a lot of stuff other people didn't get to see.

Glad that you like the tour. Do you know what other things you got to see with the RC tour?

Thank you all for your information and input regarding the Kennedy Space Center.

On the RCL site it says that the Kennedy Space Center tour is 6 hours long and starts at 7:30 AM, that would mean it ends at 1:30 pm. The tour is for flights after 4 PM.

I am a little confused. When I looked at the KSC site it says the current operating hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame® is open from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tours start at 10 a.m. and depart continuously every 15 minutes. Last tour departs at 2:30 p.m. Kennedy Space Center Bus Tours run approximately 2 hours and is included with admission.

If you book through RCL do you get in to the Space Center before it opens or do you get a special tour (maybe that is why they call it VIP) that starts before 10.

• 1 month later...
I think this tour was one of the best we have done and well worth the time and $. We were actually staying over in Orlando at an airport hotel, so we just called for the shuttle once the tour dropped us off.

This thread has answered many of my questions. I still have one though...

What happens to your luggage during the tour? Is it sent to the airport ahead of you? Like you we want to stay at a hotel at the airport for an early morning flight the next day.

Thanks!

This thread has answered many of my questions. I still have one though...

What happens to your luggage during the tour? Is it sent to the airport ahead of you? Like you we want to stay at a hotel at the airport for an early morning flight the next day.

Thanks!

When we did the tour, our luggage stayed on the tour bus. At the end of the tour at the airport, we got off the bus and they gave us our luggage.

There are two tours at KSC. The $50 admission gets you the "normal" tour. With this tour you ride around the facility as a tour guide points out various locations and then drops you off at Apollo/Saturn V Center, where there are all sorts of movies and displays to take part in.

The RCL tour is a close up tour. You get closer to the launch pads and other buildings as part of that tour. You get off the bus at various locations for photo ops. Then you also get dropped off at the Apollo/Saturn V Center at the end of that tour.

Hope that helps.

I work @ Kennedy Space Center (not the Visitor's Center). If you go to KSC VCR before Nov 11th, you will be able to see Space Shuttle Atlantis in its new home (post-11/12, the vehicle will not be on display until Summer 2013).

Hope you are able to see it in the next few days. :-)

• 3 months later...

Hi Folks:

I just watched the video for excursion PC01 - "Kennedy Space Center "VIP" Tour (Airport Drop off)" and at the end of the video it says:

This tour is available only for guests with flights departing from Orlando Airport later in the afternoon.

However we get in Port Canaveral on March 17 but aren't flying out until the morning of March 18, should this be a problem? Also we get in port at 6:30 am Sunday and the KSC tour starts at 7:30. Will there be enough time to shower, have breakfast, get luggage, disembark and get to KSC for 7:30, seems unlikely to me.

Thank you,

Darryl

My DH and I will be sailing on the Freedom of the Seas in November. We are flying in to Orlando the day before and will be renting a car and driving to our hotel in Cape Canaveral. We also plan on renting a car after the cruise and exploring the area before our 5 PM flight.

I see that RCL offers a post-cruise excursion to the Kennedy Space Center. It is called the Kennedy Space Center "VIP" Tour (Airport Drop off) - PC01

The description says you tour the restricted areas of the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, including the Apollo/Saturn V Center. The RCL tour with airport drop costs $82. The general admission for one going on their own is $50.

Does anyone know if that tour is different than the admission/tour one would purchase if they went to Kennedy Space Center on their own?

We are trying to decide if the VIP Tour is worth it and if we should cancel our car rental for after the cruise.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Just did the KSC on our own pre cruise last week. I'm sure it's the same tour.

We just did this when we got off the Freedom of the Seas on Feb. 3! It was well worth the cost. We were off the ship at 7:30, cleared customs and on the coach to The Space Center. The guide was fantastic, the bus clean and the whole process was seemless. We rented a car the day before the cruise for a one way rental. The bus got us back to MCO on plenty of time for our flight.

Do not do this excursion if you have a flight before 4:00 pm. A couple on our tour did not pay attention to this and had a 3:30 flight. We didn't get to MCO until 3:15. Not good for them, as security was a 20 minute experience. We had plenty of time.

Eric

Just did the tour a week ago on my own. You can find online admission coupons for $39.

I would suggest doing the tour on your own as there is alot to see and you can pick and choose how long at each.

The Saturn V portion is in the restricted area and that is all the tour bus will have access to behind the fence. You will go by the VAB and at crawler platform and see the fireing building from the bus.

Don't spend too much time in the rocket garden as you can catch that on the way out. But do walk down the gantry arm to the Apollo capsule.

Must do:

Shuttle Launch experience/ride

IMAX Hubble 3d

Saturn V museum ( the mission control replica show is amazing)

Meet an Astonaut. (they talk on stage for about 30 minutes)

Food and beverage are a bit pricey but the museum is totally self funded, no taxpayer $$

• 2 months later...

We did this tour post-cruise from Freedom of the Seas. Early off the shift, stored luggage on bus. Left port at 8:30am, started KSC tour with knowledgeable guide around 9am. Had a little technical difficulty with the space simulator so it cut into our time to explore the Saturn V building and eat lunch. Had to depart KSC at 2pm to make it to airport in time. Wish we had more time, but did enjoy the tour and don't regret it.

Do not do this tour if your flight is before 5pm. They say not to do it if your flight is before 4pm, and ours was at 4:15pm. Well, we got to MCO shortly after 3pm and were at the first terminal to be dropped off (thank goodness there wasn't more traffic). However, long check-in and a 40 min security line was stressful/nerve wracking after such a relaxing vacation. We ran and made it to the gate at 4:10 for a 4:15pm flight. A little too close for my comfort.

• 2 years later...

Hi All, the info you supplied is great, my concern is not about a flight as staying one night post cruise at an airport hotel, but how exhausted we will be after cruising the week, possibly have a few extra drinks on the last night, then walking around for hours doing yet: another excursion. So when I tried to book for pre-cruise, it automatically booked post with no option to change the date? Does anyone know if you can do through RCL but not on the last day? Although this may mean at least I would be doing the tour with passengers from the cruise which is a good option for me as travelling solo!!

Has anyone got any recommended shore excursions at destinations on this cruise! Need to start looking!

Cheers Kristen:p

The bus driver and tour guide monitor airport departure times closely, we had no problem getting to our flight. We had the earliest flight out allowed and we were dropped off first.

I work @ Kennedy Space Center (not the Visitor's Center). If you go to KSC VCR before Nov 11th, you will be able to see Space Shuttle Atlantis in its new home (post-11/12, the vehicle will not be on display until Summer 2013).

Hope you are able to see it in the next few days. :-)

Hi - don't know if you noticed, but this thread was started 3 years ago and the last post was in 2013. Hopefully, not much has changed.

That being said, while I haven't taken this excursion through RC, DH & I did it last year on our own. We were on a bus as much as we were walking around. If I remember correctly, we had stops at two buildings where we were lead on brief tours. Then we stopped very close to a launch pad and could get off the bus to take photos. At the final stop (Apollo/Saturn 5 Center), you can walk around as long as you want or get on a shuttle bus to go back to the main KSC area, where there are many things to see.

Also - your Roll Call or the Ports of Call boards may have more information about excursions.

Hope this helps.

Hi All, the info you supplied is great, my concern is not about a flight as staying one night post cruise at an airport hotel, but how exhausted we will be after cruising the week, possibly have a few extra drinks on the last night, then walking around for hours doing yet: another excursion. So when I tried to book for pre-cruise, it automatically booked post with no option to change the date? Does anyone know if you can do through RCL but not on the last day? Although this may mean at least I would be doing the tour with passengers from the cruise which is a good option for me as travelling solo!!

Has anyone got any recommended shore excursions at destinations on this cruise! Need to start looking!

Cheers Kristen:p

Edited by MarKay525

Hi - don't know if you noticed, but this thread was started 3 years ago and the last post was in 2013. Hopefully, not much has changed.

That being said, while I haven't taken this excursion through RC, DH & I did it last year on our own. We were on a bus as much as we were walking around. If I remember correctly, we had stops at two buildings where we were lead on brief tours. Then we stopped very close to a launch pad and could get off the bus to take photos. At the final stop (Apollo/Saturn 5 Center), you can walk around as long as you want or get on a shuttle bus to go back to the main KSC area, where there are many things to see.

Also - your Roll Call or the Ports of Call boards may have more information about excursions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much.. no I didnt notice lol... will I investigate xx

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk