Sound proof

johnnie1uk

If there's going to be an emergency when I'm asleep, I really really hope I'll hear the alarm :p

If there was something major, they would go room to room. Fire departments do. They make no assumption everybody hears the alarm. Only that most do.

If there's going to be an emergency when I'm asleep, I really really hope I'll hear the alarm :p

On some port days, the crew has emergency drills but on my first cruise, I didn't hear the captain's announcement of the drill. I happened to be in the bathroom with the door closed when the alarms activated. The alarm by the bed was only a few decibels below the pain threshold. You will definitely hear the alarms no matter how sound asleep you may be!!

You can get noise from corridors especially when you are near banks of lifts and you get inconsiderate passengers talking really loudly late at night. I once had a lot of noise in an inside on a Costa ship because of the cabin location. Although 6 floors above one of the main bars, It was along side a 6 tier atrium which made an excellent funnel for transmitting sound from the band in the barb through the wall of my cabin!

Sound proofing in insides seems to be similar to other cabin types. The biggest tip I could give is to look at cabin location carefully when choosing a cabin. Check deck plans for what is above and beneath it as well as trying to avoid being alongside lifts. You don't want tobe directly under the buffet or pool deck, particularly if you are not an early riser. Likewise if you're not a night owl, avoid being above main lounges.

On our last cruise we had a Penthouse Suite on the Aft end of the ship at the end of the hall and a short right turn to get into the suite. We heard nothing including our next door neighbors whom we spoke to across the divider between our balconies. BTW we have slept on the loungers on our balcony on other cruises and the natural noise of the ocean is really nice. We will likely do this on our upcoming cruise as it will be "Where the drinks are cold, the times are warm and I don't know any of the players" Sonny Crockett Miami Vice.

Archived