Glacier tours in Juneau

Liz315

I could use some advice as to which company to use in Juneau for a glacier tour. I like the sound of the pilots choice with Temsco. Northstar glacier trek also looks good. Without cost being a factor, which would you choose and why? How athletic do you have to be to do the level 3 trek w/ Northstar? Website mentions rope climbing up an ice wall. Not sure if I'm up for that, although it sounds great, I don't wish to be the one to hold anyone else up! So if that only leaves level 2 how would that compare with Pilots choice? Also both company's website tell you to book with cruiseline, is that what you did?

I only recommend the level 3, it is "necessary" to have the longest time out for a trek. You do NOT have to climb, you can continue just trekking.

Pilot's choices have the benefit of "time" again, significant, more time equals more scenery, glacier viewing and flying. All good, plus a double landing. Some can depend on how much experience you have flying in helicopters, are these costly tours, going to eliminate some other choices of interest? Certainly both are great choices which you will greatly enjoy.

The booking reference, has to do with ship contracts. In the past, including this year, they do accept direct bookings. Only way to find out is to try and book.

I could use some advice as to which company to use in Juneau for a glacier tour. I like the sound of the pilots choice with Temsco. Northstar glacier trek also looks good. Without cost being a factor, which would you choose and why? How athletic do you have to be to do the level 3 trek w/ Northstar? Website mentions rope climbing up an ice wall. Not sure if I'm up for that, although it sounds great, I don't wish to be the one to hold anyone else up! So if that only leaves level 2 how would that compare with Pilots choice? Also both company's website tell you to book with cruiseline, is that what you did?

We went on Northstar's 2 Hour Trek this past August. It was awesome - and I could have definitely stayed out for the extra hour. However, we had our 12 and 14 year old with us, so they wouldn't have been allowed on the 3 hour trek. Some of the two hours is spent putting on/taking off crampons, learning how to use and ice pick, etc. So you really are wandering around for about 1.25 to 1.5 hours.

We tried to book direct (which was $50 less than through the cruiseline) but they were full. They were also booked up though the ship. :eek: They told us to go to the shore excursion desk immediately upon embarkation and ask to be put on the waiting list, that the ship is really good about getting people off the waiting list. So, what we did was to book Pilot's Choice in advance through the ship (so that the funds could be transferred over no problem to the 2 hour trek) and then when we got on the ship, we asked to be put on the waiting list for the 2 hour trek. It worked perfectly! If you can book the 2 or 3 hour in advance, directly with Northstar, I would do that! We would have been happy with Pilot's Choice if it had worked out that way, but I am really glad we spent more time on the glacier. If we ever make it up there again, I would do the 3 hour.

Here is a photo of my husband and daughter walking down into a crevass. Priceless!

IMG_6620.jpg.4142e40c3af67f4f2929a45c4bea536b.jpg

Also just be aware- anyone with a return trip- down the road that is a plan- if you are going to mainland on that trip- the superb bargain drive up glacier trek option is a couple hours out of Anchorage at Matanuska glacier. Two companies I have used are long standing excellent run treks. These can be longer and far more extensive than the fly ins. IF there- well worth the planning to include it.

Thanks so much for the great info. I did call both companies for more details. They both start taking reservations in few weeks so I still have a little time to choose between the two. They both sound great! BQ thanks for the info on the trekking near Anchorage, I do have another day in Anchorage now so this is def. an option. My other 2 choices for that day are PWS glacier tour or flying up to Denali to get a view of Mt. McKinley as I won't be heading up there this trip. Decisions, decisions, I add on one day and find I have 3 more things I'd like to do! This will def. not be my only trip to Alaska!

Archived