Need Your El Yunque Advice...

Kangapong

Our ship the Canival Valor will be calling on San Juan this November. We will be going on the ship sponsored excursion to the El Yunque rainforest.

Never having been to a rainforest, we want to make the most out our time during this "once in a lifetime" visit.

If you have been to the El Yunque rainforest and could do it over again, what would you do differently?

Also, any must see and do things while there?

Thank you! :)

This is just my opinion.... We've been to El Yunque many times. It is VERY easy to drive in Puerto Rico. If you've never been to Puerto Rico - you will see - as soon as you leave Old San Juan - very similar to mainland US(KMart, Pizza Hut, etc.).

I cannot recommend the rainforest with an excursion. It is a beautiful hike - but we like doing it at our own pace. Let's see who can make it up this section first, my leg muscles are burning, let's rest, "Hey, there's a cool spider - let's watch it for a while", Lots of photos at this spot, a few more photos at this spot - and finally - definately a nice relaxing swim under the waterfalls. This will NOT happen if you are with an excursion.

It will be very unlikely you will be with a group that stops and starts at the same times and places that you'd like. Also, there is usually little to no time to swim under the falls - a true treat - how often do you swim under a waterfall.

The rainforest is beautiful! If your ONLY option is an excursion - don't miss it. But, if you can drive - get a car at Hertz at the Sheraton or from Charlie's - both easy and reliable. If you get off the ship at 11 - you should be at the rainforest by 12:30p at the latest. That would give you 4 1/2 hours at El Yunque. I know there are many who think driving is "difficult" and they'd "never" drive - I just respectfully disagree. I'm a typical mom from a rural area with the nearest town having 2 stop lights - so I definately don't qualify as a brave, expert "city driver".

Our ship the Canival Valor will be calling on San Juan this November. We will be going on the ship sponsored excursion to the El Yunque rainforest.

Never having been to a rainforest, we want to make the most out our time during this "once in a lifetime" visit.

If you have been to the El Yunque rainforest and could do it over again, what would you do differently?

I would take more time and do it on my own, which actually I'm doing in a few months. I took a ship's excursion last time. It whet the appetite.

Also, any must see and do things while there?

If you're on an excursion you will go where the excursion goes, so not a lot of latitude. They will probably take you to the observation tower and a waterfall close to the road. If you are physically able, climb the observation tower. Great views and photos.

Take a poncho and rain hat, or an umbrella. It rains in the rain forest. Usually not for long, but can be intense.

Take camera.

It's not a Tarzan kind of rainforest - upland, comfortable, with sweeping views.

I too k wonderful holland America excursion and fell in love!!!! Our driver gave us a lot of history and showed us things we could not have known on our own. We parked at a certain place and had meet up times, so we didn't stick together. I joked all over on my own.

I second the umbrella/rain pponcho idea. I'd add that a water proof bag for your camera. It is beautifully sunny and then BOOM! Raining! Again, not for long. Take your time at the tower. Oh MY Gosh!!! Beautiful!!!!

I fell in love with El Yunque!!!!

Ps. I fon't like to drive on my vacation, so I was happy to ride and look around at the flavored of Puerto Rico!!!

Hmmm. Think I too would nix the ship tour. We did one there and it was nice but not the experience we were looking for. Agreed that they took us to the tower, the waterfall and then gave us time for a really short walk that wasn't that great.

If you don't like the idea of driving yourself - perhaps a private tour would fit the bill. One with a guide would be even better.

With that option you can know that they know the area, will allow for a custom itinerary and provide the "once in a lifetime" visit you are looking for.

Driving to El Yunque is a piece of cake and it will save you so much money and you can do exactly what you want once you get to El Yunque...For instance, everyone goes to the main falls, but nearby is Juan Diego falls..a beautiful double falls that nobody ever goes to. It is about a 5 minute walk from the main road...see puertoricodaytrips.com for directions! Have fun! lauri

Archived