Port Everglades, How to get (handicap) assistance

kathew

My Grandma doesn't have a wheel chair, but she has a hard time walking and standing. How can I get assistance for her? I couldn't find much on their site. I know that airports have numbers to call ahead of time to get help, is the cruise terminal like that? Any advice would be helpful!! Thanks!

Call the cruiseline itself not the port. We've always gotten a wheelchair for travel companion by asking one of the employees walking around outside the terminal (usually found right at the door - NOT the Baggage guys) but sometimes it takes awhile if we didn't call ahead.

I only know about HAL-but with them you contact their access and compliance dept. and request help on and off the ship.

Contact your travel agent or cruise line for this.

With HAL when their is a line at pier I will go up to someone working and:) explain we have requested wheelchair assistance for my mom and immediately we are taken care of. We have also rented wheelchair for her use on ship or port contact Special needs at Sea 800 513 4515 or CareVacations/cruiseship asst. 877 478 7827.

Also when we don't or can't use wheelchair on tour-we talked with ship services onboard and they have arranged wheelchair for her to go onshore-

hope this helps, we have found people very nice to deal with on this.

Also, let the airline know that you would like wheelchair assistance to get her from the airplane to the baggage carousel and then out to your ground transportation. The flight attendants usually ask you to wait in your seats until others have left the plane and then you can get off at your own speed and there should be someone waiting with a wheelchair.

This is less of a problem for us now as my DW MS has unfortunately evolved to the point that we bring her own chair. However, in the past at Port Everglades we would go to the front on the line and request a wheelchair assist. She would be taken in and set in an area inside the terminal building where we would wait for a chair and a pusher who would take us thru the check-in procedures. Once that is done you will be taken to an area where a steward from the ship will come and push you to your cabin. It all takes a few minutes but really not a problem, they are very sensitive to the needs of the mobility challenged. I am sure that all will go well for you.

Archived