Walkie talkies onboard ?

I can't help you with this one because we specifically purchased them for our last cruise and only used them once!

The first reason being, is that in the public areas, you're always within earshot of other people and the voices coming over the walkies talkies can be quite loud - everyone turned to see what the noise was :eek:. And everyone can hear your entire conversation - on both ends.

The other reason being that there are telephones stationed around the ship where you can call your cabin if you need too.

We also took a notepad and pen in the cabin and used a message system to tell each other where we could be found.

However, if you really are very concerned, I guess having a loud walkie talkie is the least of your problems. Maybe someone else who has used them can help you.:)

Friends of ours who took walkie talkies found they were of limited use, partly because of the reason mentioned. They also found there were 'dead spots' on the ship. A message system works well. If you want to leave notes for each other, I suggest you take a fridge magnet (or other small magnet) and stick notes to the wall of the cabin (say) beside the mirror. The cabin walls are metal and so are the doors, but you mightn't want to stick notes on the outside of the cabin door.

Have a great cruise.

There are countless threads discussing this very question all over the forums. The majority view is that walkie talkies are intrusive, annoying to others and not very efficient anyway. Use post-it notes on cabin doors for messages, cabin phones or agree to meet up at specified times and places during the day. The ship isn't THAT big, you can usually find each other.

Make a set of time-based rules for the teenagers based around the other suggestions above.

Reward with daily allowance etc.

It is pretty safe on most ships as there are security especially assigned to watch over teenager activities, not allow them in to certain venues after the curfew hour etc.

I've seen it work work first hand :)

We have a couple of walkie talkies that we bought from ALDI. They work really well and have a very long range and the clarity is excellent.

My DH went ashore for a swim at tendered port, I stayed onboard and could talk to him from the ship easily.

We don't chat on them continually but do have them with us if we do separate things as sometimes there's something you want to share and it's easier to just call up rather than wander aimlessly around the ship looking for each other.

Jilly:)

Archived